IGNORED

1st game you ever finished?

Nintegageo

9 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Damn, Sonic at 4 is pretty impressive! I doubt my 7 year old could clear it now!

Sure he can!  As Sonic Sez in the Sonic & Knuckles guide, just keep trying and you WILL win!  You just need persistence and a lot of ATTITUDE! 😄 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Hah.  That reminds me, does anyone remember some sort of "game" where you had a plastic ship and a pilot who would be ejected if you got killed?  I recall commercials for it.

Fuck yeah!  Captain Power.  Man I wanted it so bad.  Never even played it.

• Like 1

Probably SMB on the NES, but I don't really know for sure since I was so young.

I do know this for certain though: the first game I ever recorded the completion date for was SMB 3; I was so damn proud of myself after playing it non-stop for months (I didn't know about the warp whistles) that I wrote right on the cover of the manual that I still have to this day: "Finished May 8th, 1990."

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Probably SMB on the NES, but I don't really know for sure since I was so young.

I do know this for certain though: the first game I ever recorded the completion date for was SMB 3; I was so damn proud of myself after playing it non-stop for months (I didn't know about the warp whistles) that I wrote right on the cover of the manual that I still have to this day: "Finished May 8th, 1990."

How did you not know about the whistles?  It was common knowledge before the game was even released. 

Just now, JamesRobot said:

How did you not know about the whistles?  It was common knowledge before the game was even released. 

I guess I was sheltered because I didn't even know about the one at the end of World 2 until I discovered it myself like a year after I had already owned the game.  I learned about the two in World 1 from school yard gossip shortly after beating the game the long way...

• Like 1

Would have to be some game on the C64. The problem is, my memory cells can’t recall which titles!

If it’s the first console game, then it’s definitely Alex Kidd in Miracle World, with the Master System being my first console entry and Alex Kidd was a built-in game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeremiahJT said:

Sonic Fury on Action Max? Maybe The Rescue of Pops Ghostly or .38 Ambush Alley. If you mean something that took more than making it to the end of a VHS tape, then probably Super Mario Bros.

I did have the 7800 before the NES, and one could consider finishing a race on Pole Position II finishing it. I do not recall if I ever finished Suzuka (I am 90% sure I did), but I finished Test, Fuji, and Seaside lots of times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

You do know the Internet was still about half a decade away and not everyone was lucky enough to have the Power, Nintendo Power right? 😄  The only reason I was able to get the SMB3 strategy guide was that there was a postcard inside the SMB3 game I got for my 11th birthday (1991) offering it.

PS: Well I guess if you've seen The Wizard you'd know where one of them is at least...

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I guess I was sheltered because I didn't even know about the one at the end of World 2 until I discovered it myself like a year after I had already owned the game.  I learned about the two in World 1 from school yard gossip shortly after beating the game the long way...

Those were the days...

Events Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, Estil said:

You do know the Internet was still about half a decade away and not everyone was lucky enough to have the Power, Nintendo Power right? 😄  The only reason I was able to get the SMB3 strategy guide was that there was a postcard inside the SMB3 game I got for my 11th birthday (1991) offering it.

PS: Well I guess if you've seen The Wizard you'd know where one of them is at least...

jay-and-silent-bob-internet.gif

53 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

jay-and-silent-bob-internet.gif

PS: You know this is not much different than how television started (in terms of opening up for public purchase/use and not just experimented on in labs)...it seemed like such awesome futuristic tech but now this era of the Internet is every bit like the old b/w Indian Head test pattern days of very early TV isn't it?  You know it's a wonder you didn't get this on your AOL/browser start up or shown when the Internet is down back then...

1280px-RCA_Indian_Head_Test_Pattern.svg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian-head_test_pattern

Edited by Estil

27 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t know that that would have quite the same magic as finishing it in 1989.  What did you think?

Well I didn't even get started in gaming at all until I got my first NES for my tenth birthday in 1990.  I sure did get my money's worth on that Zelda 1 game though as well as Metroid...remember back then if you didn't have the POWER, Nintendo Power you had no other option but to make your own maps as you went along...and I did in fact make some nice ones for the Zelda dungeons if I do say so myself...I wish I still had them...