IGNORED

Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 94/94

Gunboat is done. It is one of the easiest games on the system in case someone ever wants to tackle it in the future. Like Falcon it has a clunky framerate that makes you miss inputs, but its so forgiving in how many hits you can take and you don't take crash damage so it's not really an issue in terms of difficulty. I played through Vietnam portion of the game using manual deck guns since the manual claimed that the auto-fire feature was not very accurate and that a human could do better. That's a huge lie. I play with the auto-fire for Columbia and Panama sections and the auto-fire is amazing. You can just focus on driving the boat with the auto-fire down and even at top speed it'll take out most targets without much trouble. 

There wasn't really an ending just a final promotion to get by completing one of the final missions in the Panama area. So here's a pic of the last promotion to Admiral. 

It also has a pretty humorous game over message: "Sir, you just died"

Gunboat - End.PNG

Gunboat - Sir you just died.PNG

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 83/94

I know it's just been me since last September contributing to this thread, but if anyone else is interested in jumping it please do. I'd love the company. My personal list is at 76/94 so I'm closing in on catching up to the total completions here and I'll be focusing on those games that have already been beaten here (with the exception of Raiden which I'm going to try to beat for my 16th to last game) for the next couple weeks. 

We've only got 11 games left now:

Aero Blasters

Alien Crush

Battle Royale

Bonk 3

Davis Cup Tennis

Dragon Spirit

Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf

Psychosis

Raiden

R-Type

Space Harrier

Of the 11 games remaining on the list we've got 6 shmup style games so if we have a shooter enthusiast they could be a huge help for us. Out of what remains and the bit of playing/research I've been doing I expect Aero Blasters, Alien Crush, Battle Royale, Raiden, R-Type, Space Harrier all to be extremely challenging games. 

Bonk 3 and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf should be fairly easy and simple wins if someone new wants to get on the board. 

Davis Cup Tennis, Dragon Spirit and Psychosis are somewhere in the middle in term of difficulty. 

I wasn't so sure, if it was okay to barge into this thread like that since you're so close to beating the entire US library. Really incredible. But I did try my hands at R-Type late last decembre before the NES challenge started and I got absolutely wrecked. The fact that a difficult game such as R-Type only has limited conintues is insane. And even if I were to make it to the final boss legimately, it seems near impossible without the two options that protect you from enemies coming at you from above and below. And since this option power-up is so rare, you basically have to beat the game on a single life, which es equally insane.

Level 4 or 5 is where I usually get my first death. And even on the very few occassions that I made it past these without dying, I still ended up dying in level 6, which is where the game starts to get pretty insane. At this point it's pretty much just an endless death loop. I haven't tried it since. Much respect to whoever can beat these crazy difficult shmups. But you've been killing it so far, so you'll probably clear this one as well.

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I wasn't so sure, if it was okay to barge into this thread like that since you're so close to beating the entire US library. Really incredible. But I did try my hands at R-Type late last decembre before the NES challenge started and I got absolutely wrecked. The fact that a difficult game such as R-Type only has limited conintues is insane. And even if I were to make it to the final boss legimately, it seems near impossible without the two options that protect you from enemies coming at you from above and below. And since this option power-up is so rare, you basically have to beat the game on a single life, which es equally insane.

Level 4 or 5 is where I usually get my first death. And even on the very few occassions that I made it past these without dying, I still ended up dying in level 6, which is where the game starts to get pretty insane. At this point it's pretty much just an endless death loop. I haven't tried it since. Much respect to whoever can beat these crazy difficult shmups. But you've been killing it so far, so you'll probably clear this one as well.

There is always room for more players! I hope I haven't discouraged anyone else from participating. I'd much rather have people to bounce ideas and strategies off of. There's very little info about playing a lot of these games so the more heads working on and documenting them the better. 

2 hours ago, Andykin Skysk8r said:

Bonk 3 being on the list is funny. Its like if SMB 3 was one of the last 100 games to be beaten in an NES challenge. Not sure what Battle Royale is but of the other 10 games 8 are fairly awesome.

I played a bit of Battle Royale a few months ago. It's gonna be a huge headache to beat. Super hard CPU AI that just dominates you and you have to fight multiple ones at once as it goes on. I think it's gonna end up being one of the hardest games on the system.

• Like 1

Raiden is done!! Truly fantastic from start to finish. Loved every second of it. Despite it's steep challenge it really does offer a lot of tools to help players have a chance even after a death. I've loved this game since I was a kid, but was never able to beat it. After playing through all the NES games I developed some skills and approaches to games like this that I was able to put to good use here. So happy to finally beat this one. 

I checked out a playthrough on YouTube of the 2nd harder loop of the game and thankfully it doesn't offer a more definitive ending, but only an extra million points for playing through it again. 

So psyched about this one!

Raiden - Finished.PNG

• Like 2

Spreadsheet update:

Champions Forever Boxing - Finish the 15 Year Career Mode as the Champion

Cyber Core - Defeat the Tarantula Queen (Stage 8 )

Falcon - Destroy the Atomic Bomb Bunkers (Mission 15 on Day 6)

Gunboat - Earn the Rank of Admiral

Military Madness - Beat Mission 16 (same ending if you play advanced mode and beat Mission 32)

Raiden - Beat Stage 8

Sinistron - Beat Stage 6

Super Vollyeball - Win all 7 Games in World League Mode

Victory Run - Reach Goal at the end of the 8th Race

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Stupid Emoji
  • Thanks 1

@RetroMichel Would you be ok to add the North American Turbo CD games to this challenge as well? I'm only 6 games short of owning that full library and as soon as I'm done with Turbografx 16 I'll likely start playing through those games  as well and I'd be happy to have help from anyone else who wants to join in with that too.

I'd love a spot to talk about those games as I play through them as well as get a list like we are building here of all the win conditions. If you're not up for maintaining the thread beyond just TG16 that's ok though, I can start my own thread. Just thought they'd go nicely together all in one place. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

@RetroMichel Would you be ok to add the North American Turbo CD games to this challenge as well? I'm only 6 games short of owning that full library and as soon as I'm done with Turbografx 16 I'll likely start playing through those games  as well and I'd be happy to have help from anyone else who wants to join in with that too.

I'd love a spot to talk about those games as I play through them as well as get a list like we are building here of all the win conditions. If you're not up for maintaining the thread beyond just TG16 that's ok though, I can start my own thread. Just thought they'd go nicely together all in one place. 

Good to hear you're still collecting turbo bro !! Haven't heard from you in forever

On 1/22/2024 at 9:45 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

I will create a Turbo CD thread once the TurboGrafx-16 library is completed.

Count on me!

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 84/94

I've got 2 more games to beat for my list that the rest of you guys already beat and then I'll start working on those final 10. If someone wants to play something just let me know so I don't start it up ahead of you. I'm thinking I'll start working on R-Type or Battle Royale since I have a hunch those two are going to be the toughest ones left. 

I'm probably done with contributing to this thread.  I only have a few of the remaining games, but they're not ones that I care to play through anytime soon.

If we're going by the win conditions that were added to the OP, you should remove my completions for Bloody Wolf and Pac Land.  I only cleared one loop of each.

4 hours ago, Red said:

I'm probably done with contributing to this thread.  I only have a few of the remaining games, but they're not ones that I care to play through anytime soon.

If we're going by the win conditions that were added to the OP, you should remove my completions for Bloody Wolf and Pac Land.  I only cleared one loop of each.

I'm not worried about that. We were learning the win conditions as we went which is why I feel like threads like these are so important. And it's probably debatable too. I think the multiple loops should count when the ending is different, but the NES thread doesn't follow that in many cases. I wouldn't argue that the game isn't beaten, just my opinion. 

On 1/23/2024 at 6:46 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

It has been a long time! You gonna play some Turbo CD games with me this year?

Hell yeah! Nowadays CD's are all I even play, just beat Cotton for the 1st time last week after 7 years of on/off playthroughs.

• Wow! 1

15 hours ago, Gex said:

Hell yeah! Nowadays CD's are all I even play, just beat Cotton for the 1st time last week after 7 years of on/off playthroughs.

Awesome! Maybe @RetroMichelcan add Turbo CD asap otherwise I'll start a thread for them so you can get started ahead of me while I'm finishing up TG16. 

Do you have the full Turbo CD collection?

On 1/26/2024 at 7:50 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

Do you have the full Turbo CD collection?

Yes ! Just completed the CD set by the end of 2023. Super Air Zonk was the last title, right opportunity just never came up. The story of how I obtained this game is insane, been meaning to make a post about it

Messed around with R-Type tonight to see what I'm dealing with. Not too terrible so far. Lots of power ups, 3 continues, additional options, can use the one upgrade as either an option or a shield on the front or the back. I made it to stage 5 without much trouble. Unless there's something crazy in one of the final levels it's just gonna be a matter or learning a few enemy patterns and knowing which power ups are the most useful in which areas.