IGNORED

Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 94/94

Graphics Team · Posted
On 7/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, Red said:

Side Arms - Simple, but fun shooter.

SideA.JPG.209a8714aa9ba956cfe08d661c01ede8.JPG

Would you recommend Side Arms for someone who likes shoot-em-ups, but not run-and-guns?

I can't tell if it's more like Burai Fighter (which I love) or Contra (which I'm lukewarm about, at best).

[T-Pac]

1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

Would you recommend Side Arms for someone who likes shoot-em-ups, but not run-and-guns?

I can't tell if it's more like Burai Fighter (which I love) or Contra (which I'm lukewarm about, at best).

[T-Pac]

Yes.  It's not a run-and-gun at all.  It's a really basic horizontal shooter.  It's only gimmick is you press the II button to shoot left and the I button to shoot right.

Now a horizontal shooter I wouldn't recommend is Deep Blue, which can be considered beaten if one loop is good enough.  At the end of the first loop the screen just says "Next".  I'm not sure if that changes for the second loop.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 8/5/2023 at 9:14 PM, Red said:

Yes.  It's not a run-and-gun at all.  It's a really basic horizontal shooter.  It's only gimmick is you press the II button to shoot left and the I button to shoot right.

Now a horizontal shooter I wouldn't recommend is Deep Blue, which can be considered beaten if one loop is good enough.  At the end of the first loop the screen just says "Next".  I'm not sure if that changes for the second loop.

Nice - I'll have to add Side Arms to my "want" list, then!

And I've heard enough scathing reviews of Deep Blue to keep my distance haha.

You've been on a tear with these TurboGrafx-16 clears lately - makes me want to play more of them, myself!

[T-Pac]

On 8/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, T-Pac said:

Nice - I'll have to add Side Arms to my "want" list, then!

And I've heard enough scathing reviews of Deep Blue to keep my distance haha.

You've been on a tear with these TurboGrafx-16 clears lately - makes me want to play more of them, myself!

[T-Pac]

I'm running out of games to play, so I'll be slowing down soon.

I did play through Fantasy Zone though.  Also tried to beat the second loop of Deep Blue.  I get the feeling you can be put in an impossible situation in the last stage though.  I'm not into it enough to keep trying and find out, so I'm done with that one for now.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 37/94
On 9/2/2021 at 11:33 PM, Red said:

Sinistron is done.  It gets really tough towards the end, even with unlimited continues.  I don't think I would have played all the way through without them.

sinistron.JPG.f9fbe178802f95737614e58d069b1804.JPG

Nice to see the hardest proper action game on the system is done. If you beat the American version you deserve a medal. Probably the only game harder is the puzzle game Timeball, though the simulation game Gunboat is also worth mentioning for demanding extreme patience. 

Edited by Andykin Skysk8r

On 8/16/2023 at 11:08 PM, Andykin Skysk8r said:

Nice to see the hardest proper action game on the system is done. If you beat the American version you deserve a medal. Probably the only game harder is the puzzle game Timeball, though the simulation game Gunboat is also worth mentioning for demanding extreme patience. 

Yes, it was the American version.  What about R Type?  I hear that one is pretty tough.  I played a bit of Timeball, but couldn't get into it.  I could see it being a pain.

14 hours ago, Red said:

Yes, it was the American version.  What about R Type?  I hear that one is pretty tough.  I played a bit of Timeball, but couldn't get into it.  I could see it being a pain.

R-Type is similar to Sinistron, a shooter with a shield mechanic that requires you to master each level inch by inch. I found Sinistron harder though because the later parts of the game often felt broken/unfair, while R Type is punishing but feels a bit more manageable. The last level of R Type has some slowdown that happens inconsistently and can mess you up so that felt a bit broken, but generally R Type feels mostly fair imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 39/94
  • 2 weeks later...

I started playing a bunch of TG16 again a couple weeks ago and just today remembered this thread so thought I'd check in and update it a bit. 

In September I've beaten that haven't already been done:

Samurai Ghost

Chase HQ

Shockman

Bomberman 93

Sonic Spike

Working my way through Tricky Kick right now too so hopefully have the done in the next few days

Samurai Ghost - The End.PNG

Chase HQ - End.PNG

Shockman - Ending.PNG

Bomberman 93 - Ending.PNG

Sonic Spike - Ending.PNG

• Like 2

Alien Crush....so I spent an hour and a half on it a couple days ago and got 30,000,000 points. At that rate it would take me 50 hours to score 1 billion points. I can't find much info on it online in regards to playing the game. 

Most Pinball games have some kind of setup that payout a big score in the form of a jackpot. Anyone know if Alien Crush has something like that? 

I've been able to clear 3 of the 4 bonus games so far and they award 300,000/500,000/700,000 so I'm assuming the one I havnt cleared is 1,000,000 since the regular enemies in it are worth more than the regular enemies in the other bonus games. I need something that scores FAR more than 1,000,000 though to make 1 billion points feasible on a realistic amount of time

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 45/94

Once this is done (or while we are doing it) we should compile a list of ending requirements like the NES thread has. There is so little TG16 information out there when it comes to actually playing these games it would be super helpful to know about multiple loops or special ending requirements and have all of that information handy in one place. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

The JJ and Jeff manual states that there are "8 levels of this uproarious detective adventure", but I've watched 3 videos now and they all end at level 6-4. Anyone know if there is a way to open up 2 more worlds locked way somewhere or is it just simply a typo or translation error in the manual?

EDIT: Checked the PCEngine version as well and also seems to end at 6-4. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

Finally finished up with Boxy Boy. Pretty rough game to try and beat. I had roughly 30 hours into the game to get to the end and somewhere around level 80 the puzzles got so long and convoluted that I just started looking up solutions to most of them (unless they were small stages which happened like every 10 or so). Figuring out some of those puzzles on my own would have taken several hours per puzzle from 100 onwards I'm sure. I usually like these kind of games quite a bit, but this was a bit too extreme of a puzzler for my tastes. 

Boxy Boy - Ending.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Finally finished up with Boxy Boy. Pretty rough game to try and beat. I had roughly 30 hours into the game to get to the end and somewhere around level 80 the puzzles got so long and convoluted that I just started looking up solutions to most of them (unless they were small stages which happened like every 10 or so). Figuring out some of those puzzles on my own would have taken several hours per puzzle from 100 onwards I'm sure. I usually like these kind of games quite a bit, but this was a bit too extreme of a puzzler for my tastes. 

Boxy Boy - Ending.PNG

Amazing work, good job. When I used to play it, I was too stubborn to look up solutions online and that's why I never finished it. It can be frustrating trying over and over the same levels, when you know you have hundreds more to beat.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 46/94

Beat two more over the last 24 hours. Did Cratermaze last night, which is incredibly easy on the normal difficulty (I checked a playthrough of the harder difficulty and the ending was the same).

And this morning I sat down and hammered out JJ & Jeff. Man that final stage was something else. I played for 2 hours and 45 minutes and 2 hours of that time was just on 6-4. There is a warp in 3-3 that takes you to 6-4, but it doesn't give you the key to trigger the boss fight. Which means you still have to beat 6-4 and then get sent back to 6-3 to find the key and then do 6-4 a second time. That's a mean warp point!

Cratermaze - Ending.PNG

JJ and Jeff - Ending.PNG

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, RetroMichel said:

Amazing work, good job. When I used to play it, I was too stubborn to look up solutions online and that's why I never finished it. It can be frustrating trying over and over the same levels, when you know you have hundreds more to beat.

Yeah I didn't have the patience or brainpower to figure out the puzzles from 100 onward. Some of them are so big and complicated it would have taken me day to figure out some of them if at all. 

• The title was changed to Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 48/94
On 9/18/2023 at 11:33 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

Alien Crush....so I spent an hour and a half on it a couple days ago and got 30,000,000 points. At that rate it would take me 50 hours to score 1 billion points. I can't find much info on it online in regards to playing the game. 

Most Pinball games have some kind of setup that payout a big score in the form of a jackpot. Anyone know if Alien Crush has something like that? 

I've been able to clear 3 of the 4 bonus games so far and they award 300,000/500,000/700,000 so I'm assuming the one I havnt cleared is 1,000,000 since the regular enemies in it are worth more than the regular enemies in the other bonus games. I need something that scores FAR more than 1,000,000 though to make 1 billion points feasible on a realistic amount of time

About Alien Crush, the playthroughs on youtube are 45-55 mins long, so there must be some kind of multiplier trick. 

7 hours ago, Andykin Skysk8r said:

About Alien Crush, the playthroughs on youtube are 45-55 mins long, so there must be some kind of multiplier trick. 

None of the playthroughs on youtube hit a billion points. They all just set a highscore and then drain the ball. There is one PC Engine video that is less than 2 minutes long that shows the billion and he claims it took him around 40 hours to achieve. 

• Like 1