IGNORED

Beat every TurboGrafx-16 game - 94/94

20 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Messed around with R-Type tonight to see what I'm dealing with. Not too terrible so far. Lots of power ups, 3 continues, additional options, can use the one upgrade as either an option or a shield on the front or the back. I made it to stage 5 without much trouble. Unless there's something crazy in one of the final levels it's just gonna be a matter or learning a few enemy patterns and knowing which power ups are the most useful in which areas.

If I remember right the last stage has a bit of annoying slowdown but you should be fine. Have you finished Sinistron yet? Its not as bad as Sinistron imo

2 hours ago, Andykin Skysk8r said:

If I remember right the last stage has a bit of annoying slowdown but you should be fine. Have you finished Sinistron yet? Its not as bad as Sinistron imo

Sinistron's last 2 levels are tough, but the game has unlimited continues which is one of the best possible tools to help someone beat a shmup. R-Type's limited continues makes it significantly harder than Sinistron imo

I've got the first 3 stages down REALLY well now in R-Type. Rarely if ever lose a life on any of them any more. Stage 4 I'm around 50% of the time making it through without a death as well. As long as I get to 5 with the Red power ups I do good, but if not I'm able to recover in that stage after a death now that I've figured out how to beat the boss with no power ups. Stage 6 seems all about memorization and I'm starting to get to the end fairly consistently, but haven't quite figured out the final room yet. I looked up a video of the rest of the game and Stage 7 looks pretty frantic if I don't enter it with some options and power ups so that'll likely be tough, but 8 looks very simple as long as you don't miss your shot to get your guns into the boss when it opens up. 

• Like 1

Had a really lucky run just now and R-Type is done! As usual had a flawless run up to Stage 6 and then promptly smashed myself into the first wall in the whole level. The last Stage is incredibly difficult if you don't have both options available and very easy if you do. I only knew about options on Stages 1, 4 and 7. Since I died at 6 I was expecting to go into Stage 8 with just one. I didn't realize that during the boss fight in Stage 7 that amongst all the junk that is getting tossed at you it can also throw the occasional power up. In fact I didn't even see it drop me an extra option during the fight and only when the fight was over and the game automatically moves you to the center of the screen did I pick it up by default. Boy was that exciting to go into Stage 8 with and thankfully I didn't screw it up. 

R-Type - Ending.PNG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

5 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Had a really lucky run just now and R-Type is done! As usual had a flawless run up to Stage 6 and then promptly smashed myself into the first wall in the whole level. The last Stage is incredibly difficult if you don't have both options available and very easy if you do. I only knew about options on Stages 1, 4 and 7. Since I died at 6 I was expecting to go into Stage 8 with just one. I didn't realize that during the boss fight in Stage 7 that amongst all the junk that is getting tossed at you it can also throw the occasional power up. In fact I didn't even see it drop me an extra option during the fight and only when the fight was over and the game automatically moves you to the center of the screen did I pick it up by default. Boy was that exciting to go into Stage 8 with and thankfully I didn't screw it up. 

R-Type - Ending.PNG

Are you a streamer of any kind? Typically only streamers can just grind on and on for months like this.

• Haha 1

@Crabmaster2000 Excellent job on beating R-Type! What a tough game and you almost made it sound easy. But it's good to know that the level 7 boss can give you another power up, because without them the level 8 and the final boss would be a nightmare. I might give R-Type another chance some time later this year just to knock it off for myself. After all, it's a great port and a fun game, just a bit too difficult for my taste.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andykin Skysk8r said:

Are you a streamer of any kind? Typically only streamers can just grind on and on for months like this.

Not a streamer, just persistent. I do record all my playthroughs though. Here's R-Type:

25 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

@Crabmaster2000 Excellent job on beating R-Type! What a tough game and you almost made it sound easy. But it's good to know that the level 7 boss can give you another power up, because without them the level 8 and the final boss would be a nightmare. I might give R-Type another chance some time later this year just to knock it off for myself. After all, it's a great port and a fun game, just a bit too difficult for my taste.

It definitely wasn't easy. So far it's the hardest game I've beaten on the TG16. It took tons of hours and so much memorization (and a little luck in that last run). It's not something I'd go back to for fun. I much prefer several other shmups on the system that take much less effort. 

• Like 1

Battle Royale is finished. I greatly overestimated it's difficulty. I can get to the final Championship match (on Professional difficulty since it is required for the ending) every single time now. It was only the final Championship match that gave me much trouble and took about 7-8 losses (you only get 1 rematch after a fail and then you have to start from the beginning of the 15 fights) until I finally had a run straight through to victory. The CPU don't really care about each other much and all tend to target you so I just learned to protect my back and learned when to run and heal strategically. In the final fights against 4 of them they would sometimes bunch together which would allow you to take someone out really early in the fight when they couldn't find room to retreat. 

Battle Royale - Ending.PNG

• Like 2

Finished up Dragon Spirit finally. Really didn't enjoy my time with this one. Huge character sprite, super slow default movement speed and the speed upgrades are randomly dropped and very rare, really nasty corridors leading into most boss fights that are meant to drain you of any upgrades (especially the final one is brutal), no continues, extra lives are super sparse and only really awarded very late in the game. Much prefer the NES version of the game. 

Dragon Spirit - Ending.PNG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Agree 1

Thought I'd try out Psychosis now. I tried it quickly to check out each power up and then restarted the console for a fresh run....and 1cc'd it!!......and then there was a false ending and harder 2nd loop that crushed me. I was really excited about that for a hot second. Damn multiple loops....

• Like 1

Haven't had much time to play lately. Did a run just now though that was promising. Stage 4 on the 2nd loop is where I've been stuck. If I can get there with full power ups the stage is actually fairly easy if you know just a couple spots to watch out for. I dont know if I can recover from a death in Stage 4 though so Ive only got one attempt each time. The Stage 3 boss has been my issue because he wrecks me pretty often, but I got a MUCH quicker kill on him this last run so assuming I can do that again I feel like I'll be able to finish this off. Stage 5 I'm not too worried about even though I havnt played the 2nd loop version of it yet.

Finally was able to finish up Psychosis today. Did both loops 1cc!! That second loop is crazy hard if you have a single death to recover from, but if you can manage to hold onto all your power ups the last few stages are not too bad (if you know to watch for just a couple tricks and how to deal with the bosses). 

When you finish the 1st loop the Devil Ugar's hand pops through the background and starts wagging his finger at you before you get the Psychosis World II message to start the 2nd loop. The ending for the 2nd loop doesn't really make any sense to me. "What a Crush! But look out...." and then the game just sits on that screen and doesn't ever go any further. 

Psychosis - Ending.PNG

Psychosis - Finger Wag.PNG

Psychosis - World II.PNG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Started Space Harrier, which I've always wanted to try, but never got around to before. Crazy fast and frantic! Seems super tough.

The manual states that there is a continue code that only works three times once you put it in and only works after stage 5. I played around with it a bit and that seems to be wrong though. Feels like once you put the code in you can use a continue as much as you want and it essentially checkpoints you at Stages 6 and 13 once you reach them. So thankfully I only have to do the game in 6 stage chunks which seems doable. Just need to put aside some time to brute force my way through it now.

Put a good effort into Space Harrier tonight and couldn't quite get it done. Many many many runs to Stage 17 (18 is the last one), but was never able to quite pull that one off yet. 18 looks to be a boss rush and the bosses are the easiest part of the game so I feel like if I can make it to 18, even with a single life left, I'll be able to finish this off.