IGNORED

A new take on Rad Racer

fcgamer

Rad Racer is a game that has always held a special place in my heart, as my brother and I had it as children, and we clocked a lot of hours on that game.

A few days ago I made a purchase from a local guy, as I saw something I couldn't resist. I'm usually not one for custom stuff, but this was too cool to pass up. 

Basically, a local guy gutted a LCD child's toy, and then stuffed a raspberry pi inside. He added ROMs for several racing games across multiple platforms (Sega MD, Famicom, SNES, etc) and then also added other buttons onto the plastic housing, such as a volume switch, start button, etc. He also added the new screen to the device.

Turn the key in the ignition and the machine turns on, from there select a game and it's time for racing!

The controls work amazing well, not like those garbage third party steering wheels for the N64.

Although I would have preferred if the creator had used an actual famiclone inside the device compared to the raspberry pi, I think this overall is pretty neat, and it's going to be very hard to resist the temptation to bring this into work to play.

Thought I'd share. Enjoy!

IMG20210803184002.jpg

IMG20210803183956.jpg

IMG20210803183952.jpg

IMG20210803183950.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

Pretty cool, but which button is used for the turbo?  You aren't going to win any races without the turbo.  And without music, it seems as though he programed it without up or down from the d-pad.  

Rad Racer has a pretty special place in my heart as well.  It was the first separate NES game my Dad bought after we got our NES (which came with SMB/DH).  I have many hours with this game, despite never beating it.  In fact, I should add this to the other thread of favorite games that I've never beaten.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Pretty cool, but which button is used for the turbo?  You aren't going to win any races without the turbo.  And without music, it seems as though he programed it without up or down from the d-pad.  

The ones on the side are for turbo and also the radio

IMG20210803222348.jpg

• Like 1

That would be a nice thing to have around for various racing games.

Does it only work for like digital control or would an analog racer like F-Zero X work on this?  The video seems like the wheel doesn't pick up subtle motions before it turns, which could get nasty in a tight turning area.  It would be a lot of fun to have that lying around as a racing only device.

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Niiiiiice! Does it work with other racing games by chance? 

Thanks! Yep, I built it using components identical to NES circuitry, so it plugs right into NES (or AVS as I used). I designed it for Rad Racer, but it could perhaps be used with other NES racers with similar controls.  My favorite feature aside from wheel/pedals is the toggle switch for turbo/tunes, which provides less strain on the hands from holding turbo.  It all works surprisingly well haha.

I made it like 4 years ago, but was a lot of fun. It was a nod to one of my favorite NES games, and also growing up playing realistic racing simulators with wheel & pedals on DOS/PC.

On another note, I wonder if the creator of the thing in OP's post saw my video, or we both had similar experience as a kid lol. Just noticed one in OP is using emulation though, and also no pedals! 😛  

Well if @fcgamer can't resist getting in trouble at work, he can mail me it anytime. 😉

If not for that, I'd like to see the breakdown of the parts/donor wheel+pedal set @nesmaster14 used on his as it looks almost professional quality there.  And sure, why wouldn't it work with other NES racers?  They as far as I recall typically all used the usual for B and A for gas and brake, d-pad to control, and start and select were to pause and a no-go or mixed bag on the other.  As long as a game didn't require the use of up and down, say with a flight sim, you'd be fine.

I'd have to fire up an emulator or everdrive, but I think even the overhead racers like the RC Pro Am1+2 games, Offroad, they used L/R to turn too, not press up to go here or there, so they'd be usable too.