IGNORED

Is this a Gameboy Color Manual Misprint or Repro?

Bawmbur

Hi all!  I'm a pretty big manual hoarder, and came across this guy today.  Have never personally seen a manual missing the Seal like this.  I wanted to assume it was just a reproduction - but the manual itself seems 100% authentic to me otherwise.  It's also not exactly a title people line up to try and make high quality reproductions of (Mia Hamm Soccer Shootout).  Just curious more than anything if anyone has come across this themselves before I decide what to do with it.  Attached is a photo! Thanks in advance!

20210727_143438.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Hybrid said:

Is there any place else where that gold color is used in that manual?

The gold color is a special color in the printing process and the is usually placed on last maybe it was never turned on.

Nope, not that I can tell.  It's a pretty standard color scheme throughout and the only seal is on the inside of the front cover page that I pictured. 

Might be best to try /r/Gameboy or /r/Retrogaming on reddit.  Someone is bound to have a copy on there as they have lots of members.  Don't try /Nintendo, the mods on that are anally retentive trolls, unless it's like modern console (switch) stuff they tend to just lock/erase posts for being off topic which seems really counterintuitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Might be best to try /r/Gameboy or /r/Retrogaming on reddit.  Someone is bound to have a copy on there as they have lots of members.  Don't try /Nintendo, the mods on that are anally retentive trolls, unless it's like modern console (switch) stuff they tend to just lock/erase posts for being off topic which seems really counterintuitive.

Didn't think about trying out reddit.  I might let this post sit for another week and if nothing comes from it, I'll make an account on there a post it there. - Thank you!

I'm not particularly interested in Oddity / Variants in my own collection, I have a hard enough time keeping track of the core items as it is.  I know it's a crappy title, but I feel like if it is a misprint vs a reprint or something standard it could go from no one wanting it to someone really wanting it.  I'm just more interested in finding out if it's real or fake before I use it as a fire starter 😂

Awesome! Thanks for checking. Now I just have to figure out if it's a misprint or re-print.  Looks and feels completely real to me other than the missing seal, are there any other telltale signs of a reprint that I could just dumbly be overlooking? I could always take some additional pictures and post them here if anyone is a visual savant and picking this sort of thing out. 

I'm usually pretty confident at my own ability to pick out reproduction items, but at the same time I'm always learning new things about systems and games that make me realize I'm actually pretty dumb.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:52 AM, Bawmbur said:

Awesome! Thanks for checking. Now I just have to figure out if it's a misprint or re-print.  Looks and feels completely real to me other than the missing seal, are there any other telltale signs of a reprint that I could just dumbly be overlooking? I could always take some additional pictures and post them here if anyone is a visual savant and picking this sort of thing out. 

I'm usually pretty confident at my own ability to pick out reproduction items, but at the same time I'm always learning new things about systems and games that make me realize I'm actually pretty dumb.

It would be a bit unusual to fake this manual of all the games in that library. Given that the only color missing is a special heavy gold ink, I bet the machine ran just ran out before that print run. I suspect there are probably quite a few copies like this, if they have survived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

It would be a bit unusual to fake this manual of all the games in that library. Given that the only color missing is a special heavy gold ink, I bet the machine ran just ran out before that print run. I suspect there are probably quite a few copies like this, if they have survived.

Speak for yourself!  That game is a Banger!

Nah, I completely agree.  I was just curious if anyone else has seen a missing seal like that on anything at all.  I've seen Misprints that has the seal slightly off center and such, but not completely missing.  It's something I've never run by before but the whole running out of ink towards the end of the run would make a lot of sense.

Should I send it to WATA and get 2 mil is the next question.

Appreciate everyone who chimed in!  Happy hunting.

• 1 month later...