IGNORED

Tokyo Olympics

Jeevan

56 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That would be cool, if they actually showed where/when this was played in the Olympics. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of video game music - and I love video game music, but can't say whether it was really played in the Olympics or someone just wants views. - Yup, I'm totally skeptical and mistrusting like that - comes from experience with dealing with humans 🙂

It was the first night iirc.  They were parading each country one after another.  The only part I personally saw and can verify is when the Australians paraded to "Robo's Theme" from Chrono Trigger.  It caught my ear and so I watched/listend.  It was a very brassy version.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, avatar! said:

Ryan Murphy had to call out Olympic doping because authorities refused to punish Russia for it

http://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-murphy-had-to-call-out-olympic-doping-because-authorities-refused-to-punish-russia-for-it-101624925.html

It's really ridiculous that the IOC "banned" Russia from competing because of state-sponsored cheating, and what that really amounted to was

1)Their uniforms can't have the word "Russia" on them
2)They can't play the Russian anthem if they win gold

otherwise, nothing else. So, is it really a punishment or deterrent? Can's say it seems to be. And, are they still doping? I'm willing to bet the answer is da!

There was a state-sponsored doping scheme and cover-up. Many athletes benefitted and were protected. Relatively few have been punished. Some, in all likelihood, are here in Tokyo. It is not right, and yet if Murphy had kept silent, wrongdoing would be swept under a giant, International Olympic Committee-embroidered rug. The IOC, which made its bed with Russia long ago, had opposed harsh penalties

Hell yeah.  Throw the gates wide  and let's get juiced.  See how far we can push performance enhancement.  America the Beautiful is fine by me. 

At least here in New Zealand if you don't have cable the only other real way to watch the olympics as far as I'm aware is on the free streaming service by state-funded network TVNZ. Been amazing watching the Kiwi events, four golds so far which is great.  

Edited by NZCollector
  • Like 1

I have been a HUGE Olympics fan since Barcelona. I love the idea of iun tention of international competition that also promotes peace amongst nations!

The corruption is sad, and bribes for hosting, etc. are a disgrace but at it's core, we get to enjoy two weeks of sports most of us never pay attention too, while promoting a sense of positive, nationalistic pride for everyone across the globe. Of course I cheer for the US because I am an American. However, for events that we get knocked out of quickly or for team matches where the US isn't involved, I always have others I pull for. I love the under dog stories or seeing the small countries celebrate when they get their first gold, ever! Or maybe it's not gold, but their countries first medal ever! Way to go for them, and it's a positive way to celebrate competition.

But I can also understand why cities don't want to host. I disagree about commercialization of it, but I think it could be different. Just by allowing for subtle branded sponsorships, these events can actually make money. The 96 Atlanta Olympics were the first and only Olympics to have venues sponsored by companies, of which, Coca-Cola was a big one because that's there home town. The net expenses for hosting the Olympics is always negative and adjusted for inflation, the cost is usually in the billions of dollars. That's insane. Atlanta was the only Olympics to ever turn a profit, and though it's not about making money, you can consider that cash flow as a way of saying "thank you" to the sponsoring cities and countries.

The idea of the Olympics be "free" seems nice, but short sited. It costs many billions of dollars to get ready for these games and these venues are mostly worthless after the events that were held. We don't live in a world that is a vacuum of cash flow and business. Allowing businesses to participate helps local economies and, believe it or not, motivates many to even want these events to come to their town. If you take away the sponsorships, your basically adding a tax burden and local headaches to people's lives and that's alienating.

The IOC can be ran like a Non-Profit. I think that is doable. But if you want cities and countries across the globe to run these mega-events, there has to be an incentive for it. Not just for the self, back-patting politicians that say they brought the games to their home towns, but to the people who will actually live we with the games and make it happen. Sponsorships help make that happen.

Seems there's lots of corrupt stuff going on getting called out this year.  Iran ran a member of their (recognized as a terrorist organization) Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps for the air pistol competition and he won the gold.  So we're now ok with the russians running juiced competitors, and known terrorists, plus other stuff depending what side of reality you fall on having born males compete as females in weightlifting, etc.  Japan has put on a fluffy nice thing at face value, but the IOC level of corruption is hitting some real highs.  Another gem, notice when Taiwan came out?  They were banned from being listed as a country as the world recognizes it, because China pitched an infantile bitch so it was basically called Chinese Taipei and banned from using their music(anthem) but China's which is utter bullshit.  Shame politics, cheating, and scum are overshadowing something that traditionally had been pretty special.

Screenshot-from-2021-08-05-17-13-40.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/olympics-china-internet-trolls-nationalism/2021/08/05/6cdcae32-f4d5-11eb-a636-18cac59a98dc_story.html

After the Japanese table tennis team mounted an upset against the Chinese in the mixed doubles Olympic final, they found themselves facing a barrage of online hate. Even before the competitors took to the podium, death threats and messages to "go to hell" and "disappear" flooded their social media accounts.

A Taiwanese badminton player was slammed for dedicating his gold medal to "my country, Taiwan." A Japanese gymnast who beat a Chinese favorite was accused of winning on unfair grounds. A Chinese sports shooter was bullied into deleting a selfie after failing to qualify for her final. 

Throughout the Tokyo Olympics, online nationalists in China have scrutinized the behavior of Chinese athletes and their competitors, pouncing on perceived insults and extolling symbolic shows of strength.

It isn't unusual for nationalist sentiment in China to surge during the Olympics, especially one held in historic foe Japan, experts say. But the unrelenting fervor of Chinese Internet trolls seems to have hit a fever pitch in Tokyo, a symptom of a state-backed rise in nationalism that is showing signs of spiraling out of control. 

Nationalist fervor has already become a "dangerous driving force" in China, Zhao said, constraining the government's foreign policy approach and limiting options for how to improve ties with the United States, Japan, Taiwan and others. And with just six months until the Beijing Winter Olympics, hypernationalists in the country could continue to expand their influence.

Nationalism is a VERY VERY dangerous thing. Yes, you'll find nationalism in most every country, certainly the USA as well. However, there is a fine line between being proud of your country, and nationalism, and while Chinese trolls are not necessarily that different than other trolls, there is one key difference - Chinese trolls are backed (or at any rate receive the blessing) by the state! I think this tells you what you need to know about China and how it views the rest of the world...

Edited by avatar!
  • Agree 1

Love it, fuck China.  Taiwanese guy is a hero "my country" is damn right, not Chinese Taipei those Olympic cucks forced them to call the place.  When will enough be enough before the world stands up and starts collaborating against China and their endless diatribe of bullshit?  No the spratleys aren't theirs, nor are all the waters along the phillipines, indonesia, etc.  They do NOT own Taiwan, it is, and always has been maintained as it's own country since it's inception.  And of course the wuhan virus... the list goes on.  Something has to give...sooner than later before it's too late.

Chinese trolls as avatar there said, they're their own breed.  They're encouraged by the CCP, if not actual members of the CCP.  Those who don't tow the line, or ever come off with an air of dissent are not allowed full public net use, at least not without monitoring, and that's when people disappear for weeks, months...good.  Beatings, harassment, imprisonment, death.  We need to cut them off country after country, seize their assets in domestic banks, cut off domestic countries from being legally allowed to use their land to create products or source materials for them.  The CCP is a cancer that'll eat the world if left unchecked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Ha!

Honestly don't see what's wrong with the pic... I mean, is she supposed to look like a movie star 🤔

Screenshot-from-2021-08-05-22-32-02.png

Who CARES about looks when you win Olympic gold...oh wait, it may turn out she may have had a little "help" and it might not have been for real... 😞