IGNORED

Tokyo Olympics

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

Youtube TV free trial?  

maybe, but do they stream past events I wonder?  Apparently nbcolympics.com has all the old events etc., but u have to be subscribed to cable, I can't for the life of me find a way to view it without having a cable provider.....

11 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

maybe, but do they stream past events I wonder?  Apparently nbcolympics.com has all the old events etc., but u have to be subscribed to cable, I can't for the life of me find a way to view it without having a cable provider.....

I don’t believe they do.  I like it as a cable alternative.  Unlimited DVR space is pretty sweet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Is there a good way to watch it without subscribing to cable?  I can't seem to find a way to watch things like canoeing and kayaking, I'm limited to what I can watch via peacock TV 😒

NBC is broadcast over the air for free.  That's how I'm watching it currently.  

Also, Peacock will have lots of stuff to watch for free, but I don't think any of it will be live.  But still, lots of stuff to watch for free.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

NBC is broadcast over the air for free.  That's how I'm watching it currently.  

Also, Peacock will have lots of stuff to watch for free, but I don't think any of it will be live.  But still, lots of stuff to watch for free.  

ya, i know, but i want to watch obscure things like canoeing and kayaking, which don't typically get broadcast to the us i dont believe.  The canoeing has already been done and medals awarded lol.  Can't seem to find a way to watch it though.  I guess ill just have to pick and choose the most obscure stuff i can watch via peacock tv......just sad that I can't watch all the stuff i want to 😢 

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Have you tried to see maybe if some streaming cable clone like the excellent Sling carries it?  I probably should check, they do get the stranger contract the other ones fail to pick up.

idk, if u find out let me know!

12 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

idk, if u find out let me know!

I didn't have time to check that moment, distractions, but I looked (I've been using it since I dumped cable 2-3 years ago) and they have olympics coverage, also they give you a free 200hr DVR too with the service.  $10/first month, then it's like $35/mo after for either blue or orange service.  Orange is less channels because it's very sports heavy, blue has a lot more variety including TruTV and more of those A&E networks no other streaming package gets full cable access to.

Anything blue may lack, you can add in for like $5/mo so it's fairly al a carte which cable sucks for never doing.  Streams multiple devices, large free DVR, works on whatever (PC, fire sticks,android, ios, etc.)

The events for the olympics have their own entire channel.  Both packages do carry the NBC sports network too, but they broke it off that.  If (website) you go under guide, top left corner TOkyo Olympics.  Each box below it seems to have sections by sport, and each block NBC runs gets it's own 'episode' and then there's sub sections for team sports, other sports too, and others like action, ceremonies, combat sports, boat sports, etc.

Might as well pay the $10 and see what you think.  $35/mo is sure as hell a lot less shitty and toxic than cable or like $100-200+ a month depending on your area and most are so backwater their crappy apps won't work with your home DVR or stream right due to some local laws bs sling avoids too.

• Like 1

My wife loved the Olympics...and sadly she just missed out on this one 😞  One thing that I loved to aggravate her on (playing of a few of Yukon Cornelius' phrases from her favorite Christmas special) was how Nancy Kerrigan (who my wife said she lived close buy to at one point; no joke!) got the silver!! 😄  My wife Denise though insisted that she should've gotten gold but I guess "the judges changed their mind!" 😄 

• Love 1

Events Helper · Posted

Now for the canoe slalom ❤️  

Also, thanks for the suggestion @Tanooki

If anyone wants to watch the obscure stuff like myself that isn't streamed anywhere else, u can goto nbcolympics.com and use your cable provider, if you have the right package, and do it that way, or sign up for the blue on sling tv and get it for 10bux for the first month.

Nobody really wants to host the Olympics anymore, and Tokyo demonstrates the danger

http://sports.yahoo.com/nobody-really-wants-to-host-the-olympics-anymore-and-tokyo-demonstrates-the-danger-122511995.html

There wasn’t a lot of drama last week when the International Olympic Committee awarded Brisbane, Australia, the right to host the 2032 Summer Olympics. It was the only city up for the vote. It wasn’t that much different for the 2024 Summer Games. Only Paris and Los Angeles were interested. So the IOC gave Paris that one and then awarded L.A. 2028, which no other city or country had made a reasonable attempt to host.

The 2024/28 bidding process saw Hungary drop out after a successful “Nolympics” campaign was waged against the bid. Hamburg, Germany, bailed when 51.6 percent of voters opposed it in a referendum. Rome, Italy and Boston likewise succumbed to political backlash. That has been the trend.

What do the people of a city get for hosting the Olympics? Nothing. Well, apart from a huge surge in traffic, costs, and other headaches. The IOC is well known for their corruption
https://www.britannica.com/sports/Olympic-Games/Corruption
Everything is so commercialized, as @Jeevan noted, why is it so hard to just watch the games? Answer: commercialization. Screw this. I hope the IOC lose all their money and become insolvent. Watching the Olympic games should be free, and no country should have to shell out billions including millions in bribes. That's why I'm watching the old movies via The Criterion Collection - starting with the V Olympiad in 1912 - and it's amazing how some things have stayed constant and other things have changed. Oh, did you know that George S. Patton competed in the V Olympiad 🙂

• Like 2

Ryan Murphy had to call out Olympic doping because authorities refused to punish Russia for it

http://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-murphy-had-to-call-out-olympic-doping-because-authorities-refused-to-punish-russia-for-it-101624925.html

It's really ridiculous that the IOC "banned" Russia from competing because of state-sponsored cheating, and what that really amounted to was

1)Their uniforms can't have the word "Russia" on them
2)They can't play the Russian anthem if they win gold

otherwise, nothing else. So, is it really a punishment or deterrent? Can's say it seems to be. And, are they still doping? I'm willing to bet the answer is da!

There was a state-sponsored doping scheme and cover-up. Many athletes benefitted and were protected. Relatively few have been punished. Some, in all likelihood, are here in Tokyo. It is not right, and yet if Murphy had kept silent, wrongdoing would be swept under a giant, International Olympic Committee-embroidered rug. The IOC, which made its bed with Russia long ago, had opposed harsh penalties

• Angry 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, PII said:

That would be cool, if they actually showed where/when this was played in the Olympics. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of video game music - and I love video game music, but can't say whether it was really played in the Olympics or someone just wants views. - Yup, I'm totally skeptical and mistrusting like that - comes from experience with dealing with humans 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That would be cool, if they actually showed where/when this was played in the Olympics. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of video game music - and I love video game music, but can't say whether it was really played in the Olympics or someone just wants views. - Yup, I'm totally skeptical and mistrusting like that - comes from experience with dealing with humans 🙂

You seem like a very negative person 😂