IGNORED

Slow Mole for NES

SlowMoleDev

19 hours ago, SlowMoleDev said:

Yes, but if they unlocked right away when you beat it on normal, that means the game thought you played well!

What is considered playing well?  I'm curious what I did.

How many difficulty levels are there?  I see it starts with Easy and Normal and after you beat Normal, the portals at the beginning have a clock-1 symbol above them (would this be considered Hard mode?).  Since I went straight to the challenge stages I skipped this mode, but I'm guessing you just have less time in this mode?  I finished up the challenge stages and now the portals are marked with a skull flag (Very Hard mode?).  I only played it briefly, but it seems the enemies are faster and there's less time in this mode.  Are there any other differences?  Will the challenge stages be harder if I beat this mode?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

2 hours ago, Red said:

What is considered playing well?  I'm curious what I did.

How many difficulty levels are there?  I see it starts with Easy and Normal and after you beat Normal, the portals at the beginning have a clock-1 symbol above them (would this be considered Hard mode?).  Since I went straight to the challenge stages I skipped this mode, but I'm guessing you just have less time in this mode?  I finished up the challenge stages and now the portals are marked with a skull flag (Very Hard mode?).  I only played it briefly, but it seems the enemies are faster and there's less time in this mode.  Are there any other differences?  Will the challenge stages be harder if I beat this mode?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

There are 3 difficulty levels: easier, normal and hard (well there is an extra easy mode too, but that requires a cheat). The skull flag means hard, same as going through the -1 portal after normal. (If you beat it on easier -1 takes you to normal.) Difficulty just affects the timer, but reduced timer means you often need different strategy to beat it.

The challenge levels are also affected so you can play them either in normal or hard. I tried different algorithms for unlocking the challenge levels in normal, since I felt that unless you really mastered the game they're more of a punishment than a reward. If you just barely manage to beat the game I'd rather have the player feel that moment of triumph. But I also didn't want something that punishes playing around and experimentation, like counting deaths or collecting bonus seconds would.

1 hour ago, SlowMoleDev said:

Difficulty just affects the timer

Ah, it seemed like one of the spiders early on was going a bit faster, but I guess I was imagining it.  Probably its starting position or direction threw me off.

Edited by Red

39 minutes ago, Red said:

Hard mode and challenge stages on hard mode completed!  Now to wait for the physical release so I could do it all again.

Well played indeed!!

If you're into speedrunning you can have a go at Zorilla33's record:
https://www.speedrun.com/slow_mole 😀

But the cartridge version is under way! SlowMole+ is also coming later, with more challenge levels and more secrets!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SlowMoleDev said:

Well played indeed!!

If you're into speedrunning you can have a go at Zorilla33's record:
https://www.speedrun.com/slow_mole 😀

But the cartridge version is under way! SlowMole+ is also coming later, with more challenge levels and more secrets!

I'm not really into speedrunning.  I feel like in order to get a descent run I would have to replay it so many times that I'd stop enjoying it.  I'm happy just being able to make it to the end.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, Sumez said:

Nice! I'd actually like to hear what channels you went through, and which you felt were succesful? 

Well, usually it's hard to know. Unless they respond to an email or a tweet you often don't know how they find it. I mainly use emails and Twitter, but messages on FB can also work sometimes. I've had a lot of practice marketing and selling my films but it's still very difficult.

EDIT: My short films are on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Checkoofilm

Edited by SlowMoleDev
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We've landed on a design for the upcoming Famicom cartridge. Imagine this in gold on a black PCB. We're making a small test run based on this second prototype that will also serve as review copies. The final design might still see some adjustments. Once we're confident everything looks exactly as we want it to, we'll be ready to take orders.

SlowMole_FamicomCart_Proto2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Neat! Translucent shells I'm guessing? 

Well actually, for the first limited Famicom-only release we're planning to go with a naked PCB, because we think it will look nicer.

But, we're also in plans for making an NES version with a translucent shell. But that'll be a little later most likely. So if you want a shell, we recommend that version.

Just now, SlowMoleDev said:

Well actually, for the first limited Famicom-only release we're planning to go with a naked PCB, because we think it will look nicer.

But, we're also in plans for making an NES version with a translucent shell. But that'll be a little later most likely. So if you want a shell, we recommend that version.

Oh wow, didn't even know naked PCB was a thing. Learn something new everyday!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, erac said:

Isn't a bare pcb risky, both in static electricity (shipping, clumsy users) as well as putting the cart in backwards (clumsy users)?

We don't believe either of those things will be an issue. Rest assured this will be tested thoroughly, but the cart is meant to withstand both those scenarios.

If the connections are exposed, what can you possibly to do make it withstand static electricity? Are you coating the entire thing in something?

It's not really a problem to me, I have enough exposed pcbs lying around all over the place, and never did have a problem with them (even though a lot of them have been shipped back and forth in clear bubble wrap), but I can see why people would be worried.

Edited by Sumez

5 minutes ago, Sumez said:

If the connections are exposed, what can you possibly to do make it withstand static electricity? Are you coating the entire thing in something?

It's not really a problem to me, I have enough exposed pcbs lying around all over the place, and never did have a problem with them (even though a lot of them have been shipped back and forth in clear bubble wrap), but I can see why people would be worried.

I never heard of the naked PCB but I googled it and someone had one on their keychain for years and decided to test it and it still worked. I'm a fan of the shells but it's probably to keep costs down since the money is probably being fronted instead of taking preorders like a Kickstarter would do

https://mobile.twitter.com/bofadibeppo/status/1116881049923907584

I won't go into any technical details yet, as I'm not the hardware designer. We'll be completely upfront about what you're getting if you choose to order the Famicom version. We expect the new prototypes shortly. I had a blast designing the gold artwork for the PCB and am really looking forward to seeing it and sharing footage of it running in all manor of NES/Famicom consoles and clones.

And of course, there will also be an NES version with transparent shells coming a little later (the details regarding that are still being sorted, but expect an upcoming announcement). That will also feature similar artwork (just less prominent since it's in a shell). So if you are more comfortable with that or just prefer an NES version, go for that one instead.

Edited by SlowMoleDev
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

For console games, sure. If you got any arcade games, I'd guess a majority of them will be naked PCBs 😛 

Except those aren't naked, as the cabinet is the equivalent of a cartridge shell (or more accurately, the equivalent of the shell in a dedicated handheld/console game).  Inside their protective shells, sure, the vast majority are naked, but the same could be said about console games.  🧐