IGNORED

Why are people not trading and just buying.

JVOSS

6 hours ago, JVOSS said:

@phart010looked at GameTZ for the first time not really getting the understanding of that site.  the use of stock photo is the way the show what the really have?

Yea they have a database with stock photo just so that you know your talking about the correct game. As for indication of quality, it’s kind of an honor system where you have to indicate the quality and describe any defects to the other party.

I haven’t used it in a while, but I believe if you want to send pictures, you have to do so outside of the platform.

I have an excellent idea for a monetized game trading app, but I’m not a developer, just  a pool of ideas

What I really miss are the point based trading sites, like Goozex, VG Five, and 99gamers. That's where you would trade in a game for a certain amount of points/credits, and then you could spend that on whatever games you wanted that other people were offering. Unfortunately it seems like there was never a great way for the site owners to actually make money. But, they were great to use.

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Today I went to the flea market, prices sucked, availability sucked, but what one thing hit me the most as the prices hadn't caught up with online at least, is the ability to haggle -- it was dead.  On some old toys, I tried to bundle a couple things, was told no bundle.  Asked to get like 20% off, then less...no and NO.  Another old redneck had this dslite with 3 dollar dumper titles, no charger, and a case... $50.  Tried to point out a charger costs X, was asking if I could make an offer, they were firm under the delusion it was worth $100.   When I went into the indoor vendors, where this warped reality continued, THEY were cheaper.  One who a year to two earlier I'd never buy off of because he was high, even with negotiation, was low (Wario Ware for $25, sells 40 on ebay up to 50) and when I tried to buy a few games, he said they were as low as he could go, woudn't even take a single dollar off.

Flea markets have been like that for a while (at least the last 5 years, that's why I don't go as much).   If you're not there early to clean out the random guys that snagged a table because they cleaned out their basement, you're likely not finding any deals or people that'll wiggle.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Flea markets have been like that for a while (at least the last 5 years, that's why I don't go as much).   If you're not there early to clean out the random guys that snagged a table because they cleaned out their basement, you're likely not finding any deals or people that'll wiggle.

Oh no I agree.  I think what I have is just locally a unique perspective is all.  Due to the virus and my wifes paranoia over it, I hadn't been down there since March of 2020 and between then and now it was shell shock.  Yes being early was always a thing, but now it's not even showing up much, and what is there, is now valued higher than the traditional overpriced or at least ebay valued indoor places who are fixtures there with the overhead.  That was a total reversal of normal.  There's no way some dumb redneck was going to convince me a DSlite and no charger with 3 loose kiddo games was going for $100 currently and that I wasn't smart taking a great $50 deal.  That was the best outside deal too of what there was.

46 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't have stock to trade, but I do have money. Pretty easy reason for me.

Exactly. For me, money cuts out all of the trade back-and-forth BS. If someone wants a particular game, take my money, then buy what you want with it. Simple. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

It's hard to argue with "just take money & buy what you really want" logic

@Robot_Ninjutsuit is hard to argue,  trading is how most of use started.  as i remember i started with only a few games as a kid and the best way to get newer game was to trade.  now-a-days the kids have things like youtube/ebay to "make money" or the parents are the "Ill buy what ever you want" type, kids don't have to trade, so that aspic is all but gone. 

as adults, trade is too hard it's much easier to spend the cash.

to me the economics of cash very simple.  you spend xx hours working and get xx $ as take home.

but when it comes to buying the concept is harder to handle.

example: a game, say in my case SML, is say $200.  now for me to get the money i have to work 20 hours at $15.00 to buy the game. that is 20 hours of time away from my family, friends, and game play.

were as a trade is much easier i have Trip World JPN market worth $300+ someone want the game and has a few extra games to even the trade and it done.  hours to work deal 1 hour, cost to my take home $0.00 as all my work money is not going to those game.  

people are to caught up on "will mine is better then yours fact".

how is the trade not worth the 1 hour time?    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

I was prepping to do a FS/FT thread, but this topic really has me reconsidering the FT part.

I wanted to do some "FT" out of courtesy, but I know I had to struggle to come up with video game stuff I really wanted.  Plus it's hard to argue with "just take money & buy what you really want" logic.

You can post FT posts on here and can easily get a response. I think everyone is talking about generally outside this community. But with that said, most people on here either have what they want or they have just some obscure stuff to get. Not everyone is in that xamp, but a high percent is.

I definitely prefer the trade. It's easier to work out a deal because even though PriceCharting helps you ball park value, you can gauge a trade based off of "satisfaction" of what you are giving up versus what you are getting.

I also don't understand the argument of how a trade can feel scammy. I mean, I could swindle you out of cash and never deliver too.

It's not that I am against trading, it's that I'm at the point where I'm looking to reduce what I have vs. trade it for other video game stuff.

Would I like to have a Japanese Saturn? Sure.  Could I trade for one here? Absolutely.  Do I really want to be the caretaker of another game system?  Not really.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RH said:

You can post FT posts on here and can easily get a response. I think everyone is talking about generally outside this community. But with that said, most people on here either have what they want or they have just some obscure stuff to get. Not everyone is in that xamp, but a high percent is.

I definitely prefer the trade. It's easier to work out a deal because even though PriceCharting helps you ball park value, you can gauge a trade based off of "satisfaction" of what you are giving up versus what you are getting.

I also don't understand the argument of how a trade can feel scammy. I mean, I could swindle you out of cash and never deliver too.

@RHi to prefer the trade. it is a little difficult to do with people outside of your groups.  it's an easy way to move games.

this the real value of the trade is as @RHput it.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

you can gauge a trade based off of "satisfaction" of what you are giving up versus what you are getting.

Edited by JVOSS

2 hours ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

I was prepping to do a FS/FT thread, but this topic really has me reconsidering the FT part.

I wanted to do some "FT" out of courtesy, but I know I had to struggle to come up with video game stuff I really wanted.  Plus it's hard to argue with "just take money & buy what you really want" logic.

Nah add it.  Hell show me what you got if you have some generic list or pics in PM and maybe I have something in my sales thread we can swap.

I do agree largely with that post a few of them earlier.  HOw much you maybe in an hour vs wanting to buy some expensive game.  NOT worth it to me when you can just say Hey I have X Y and Z for your game -- let's trade.  An hour maybe total spread over time of back and forward, maybe a shared image or few, and it's done.  Free is free, it's a trade, no loss of money needed for better stuff and both sides gets something desirable.

Edited by Tanooki

15 hours ago, RH said:

Yea you could swindle someone out of cash. But we’re not talking about money orders and checks. We all know its paypal or nothing these days. All someone has to do os file a claim with them and their card company. Who you going to file a claim with when the other party doesn’t send their game to you?