IGNORED

Platformer vs. Action-Platformer vs. Run-N-Gun

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Super Mario Bros 3 is a standard hop-n-bop platformer, but some of the power-ups add action elements.
Mega Man 2 is a standard action-platformer, but the default attack mimics run-n-gun projectile weapons.
Contra is a standard run-n-gun, but it also has platforming elements.

So what is the distinction between these genres? How do you categorize the gameplay?

-CasualCart

2 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Super Mario Bros 3 is a standard hop-n-bop platformer, but some of the power-ups add action elements.
Mega Man 2 is a standard action-platformer, but the default attack mimics run-n-gun projectile weapons.
Contra is a standard run-n-gun, but it also has platforming elements.

So what is the distinction between these genres? How do you categorize the gameplay?

-CasualCart

Hop n bop platformer 🙂 I like it

• Like 1

It's a little vague, really, but here's my distinction:

5366-ingame-MC-Kids.jpg

Traditional "platformer" or "platform game", has a focus entirely on jumping and platforming. You might get projectile weapons, but they won't allow you to go all trigger happy, and usually have quirks of their own. Stomping on enemies isn't a requirement either, but it plays well into the focus on jumping.
This is also the variation most likely to have inertia affecting your movement, making the jumps more powerful when controlled well, but potentially a challenge on their own.

These can be very fast (Sonic, Rayman Origins, or even Mario depending on how you play it), but often have a pace that invites going in all directions rather than necessarily just to the right, and exploring stages fully.

large.jpg

The action platformer has more simple and controlled jumps. Like Mega Man's precise air control, or Castlevania's fixed jump arc. In an action platformer, there's a bigger focus on fighting enemies, usually using melee attacks or projectiles, in a more aggressive manner than the traditional platformer. But jumping is essential.

85462-xaind-sleena@256x512min.png

The run'n'gun shares its name with a certain brand of overhead shooting games, like Commando, Jackal, Pocky & Rocky, or FixEight, and the common trait is that it shares tendencies with the shoot'em up genre, except you get to advance the screen at your own pace rather than autoscrolling (but then, where does that place Atomic Runner?).
Whether these games actually qualify as shoot'em ups probably depends more on context than actual genre definitions. Jumping is important, but platforming less so. Platforms primarily exist as a way to give you freedom in how to approach or avoid enemies, rather than as a central obstacle through the stage.
Dodging enemy bullets and projectiles is a much bigger focus here than in the other subgenres, and while jumping is often necessary, it is also very likely to put you at a risk, so it is often used much more tactically, as opposed to being your primary tool.

In terms of pace, these are often more action paced - not necessarily faster than the "hop n bop" platformer, but more interested in enticing a constant forward momentum. Don't waste time looking for secrets, keep going to the right. An inherent arcade-like genre.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

It's like in heavy metal when one song is "progressive", one is "technical", one is "math core", one is "djent", one is "jazz fusion", one is "post", one is "gaze", one is avante-garde"

There's so much overlap and subjectivity at play that most of them can be called many different things.

Run n Gun = Something derivative of Contra, Metal Slug, or Gunstar Heroes

Hop n Bop = Something derivative of Mario

Action Platformer = A broad term that could have any number of elements, but probably has shooting or punching or throwing Power Blades or something.

• Like 2

I'd also propose another genre off-shoot that fits in alongside these three, but don't really fit squarely into either of them. And I'm just mentioning it because it's criminally underrated and underrepresented.

The spy action platformer. Has its roots probably in the original Elevator Action, and was codified by the Rolling Thunder series. Other great examples are Shinobi, Ninja Five-O, or Elevator Action Returns, and I'd say Bionic Commando qualifies to some extent.
Your jumping ability is very tactically minded similar to the run'n'gun, but is much more limited in its utility, and often modeled in a more "realistic" way. Attacks are often slow, only allowing few projectiles on screen at a time, and often with limited ammunition, forcing you to think about every attack you make. Platforms as such are rare, but you will often need to tactically move between separate floors, and approach enemies by switching between a standing or ducking stance, and hide behind obstacles. Or even with elements of stealth.

rolling-thunder-3.png?fit=320,224&ssl=1 2yWkpXUfZbt8TiiOAKXJDl16DGaUZBppLJ7gznt8 Shadow_Dancer.png 220px-Sly_spy_screenshot.png code-name-viper.png AVMbwX5QobnzdflIiSlCqZj32SOP9qj-JeqUV4w8 ninja-five.png 673421-thunderjaws-arcade-screenshot-you

Edited by Sumez

On 4/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, Sumez said:

It's a little vague, really, but here's my distinction:

5366-ingame-MC-Kids.jpg

Traditional "platformer" or "platform game", has a focus entirely on jumping and platforming. You might get projectile weapons, but they won't allow you to go all trigger happy, and usually have quirks of their own. Stomping on enemies isn't a requirement either, but it plays well into the focus on jumping.
This is also the variation most likely to have inertia affecting your movement, making the jumps more powerful when controlled well, but potentially a challenge on their own.

These can be very fast (Sonic, Rayman Origins, or even Mario depending on how you play it), but often have a pace that invites going in all directions rather than necessarily just to the right, and exploring stages fully.

1wf9EjKhrHz0CL7F_1hlYEIW3ASC6UCKdgya_OyR

The action platformer has more simple and controlled jumps. Like Mega Man's precise air control, or Castlevania's fixed jump arc. In an action platformer, there's a bigger focus on fighting enemies, usually using melee attacks or projectiles, in a more aggressive manner than the traditional platformer. But jumping is essential.

85462-xaind-sleena@256x512min.png

The run'n'gun shares its name with a certain brand of overhead shooting games, like Commando, Jackal, Pocky & Rocky, or FixEight, and the common trait is that it shares tendencies with the shoot'em up genre, except you get to advance the screen at your own pace rather than autoscrolling (but then, where does that place Atomic Runner?).
Whether these games actually qualify as shoot'em ups probably depends more on context than actual genre definitions. Jumping is important, but platforming less so. Platforms primarily exist as a way to give you freedom in how to approach or avoid enemies, rather than as a central obstacle through the stage.
Dodging enemy bullets and projectiles is a much bigger focus here than in the other subgenres, and while jumping is often necessary, it is also very likely to put you at a risk, so it is often used much more tactically, as opposed to being your primary tool.

In terms of pace, these are often more action paced - not necessarily faster than the "hop n bop" platformer, but more interested in enticing a constant forward momentum. Don't waste time looking for secrets, keep going to the right. An inherent arcade-like genre.

This post 100%.

Even more simply; a "true" platformer is where the actual platforming part is the core gameplay element. In the other examples the platforming is secondary to puzzle and/or combat elements.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

Here’s my simple differentiation:

- platformers = cutesy characters aimed at kids, where the character themselves are actually the “killing machine” (Sonic, Mario, Donkey Kong etc.). 

- action platformers = characters use weapons as a means to kill enemies, whether with guns (Megaman), swords (Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi), whips (Castlevania) etc.

- run-and-gun = traditional arcade style where you constantly run and you gun. Shooting many zillion bullets is essential to complete a stage, and then multiply that by 5 or 6 to complete the game.

* In all the above categories, they all share the same mode of scrolling across a platform, and jumping is essential to either kill enemies or progress through a level.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, phart010 said:

Hop n bop platformer 🙂 I like it

23 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I can't focus on the question because now I can only think about a category of games called Hop n' Bop.

Haha I can't remember where I first came across the term "hop-n-bop platformer", but someone said it here on VGS and it just felt like a perfect distillation of the genre.

-CasualCart

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Haha I can't remember where I first came across the term "hop-n-bop platformer", but someone said it here on VGS and it just felt like a perfect distillation of the genre.

-CasualCart

I use it all the time in my reviews, but it's definitely always been a "thing" for as long as I can remember

I've definitely heard hop n bop too, and like others have been implying probably multiple decades ago. Another weird term I saw used occasionally at one point was "run-n-jump" for what I assume is pretty much the same thing. I was just annoyed people wouldn't call them platform games, which has been an accepted term for at least as long as I can remember. 😄 

Nowadays it's just cute and fun though. I'm all for these weird affectionate genre descriptions.

Edited by Sumez