IGNORED

Any Assassins Creed fans here? Would I probably like it as a history major/buff?

Estil

In light of the PS3 store shutting down soon, I was wondering if there was any games/DLC I should grab before it closes in July.  One thing that was brought to my attention was that in the third Assassins Creed game that takes place during the Revolution there's an alternate timeline DLC sort of deal that has King George Washington gone completely out of control?  I was in fact a history (and political science) major back in the day and I've always been somewhat of a history buff so I'm wondering if this might be a game I'd likely enjoy?  The American Revolution is one of my favorite time periods (though my man specialty is 1960s-90s hence why I do my newspaper archive and World Book/Brittanica yearbook projects).  Exactly what kind of game is it?  Open world, RPG?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AC games are pretty fun but they take some liberties with the history to make it more action packed. I think dates tend to match up but not everything is 100% how it happened.

I’ve played AC1-4 and loved 4 the most. The navel combat was so addictive.

AC3 is the American Revolution game and it was ok. I know nothing about US history but now know what the Boston tea party is all about haha.

AC is like an open world Action game with light RPG elements. Maybe check out some game play footage to see how it plays.

I was a history minor way back when in college, so yeah, this series is right up my alley.  I have played all of them in release order up through AC IV.  I own Syndicate, but haven't started it yet.  I also own the Egyptian one (Origins?), but have not started that one either.  Odyssey looks pretty fun as well.

My favorite so far is Black Flag, but you are more pirate than the in-story "assassin."  I also liked the one that many people missed/skipped: Assassin's Creed Rogue.  You play as a Templar in that game, but I enjoy the story, setting, and the shorter overall quest.  It basically is half Black Flag and half AC III, but as the aforementioned Templar character.

Edited by Sumer

14 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Do Origins. The newest trilogy was good, though I think Valhalla was the weakest amongst them. Regardless each one is a pretty good game.

I did find a couple of trilogy packs for the PS3 at Feebay and they sell for about $20-$25 new...is that the way I should do it?  Exactly which ones will I get and which ones will I be lacking?

Editorials Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, Estil said:

I did find a couple of trilogy packs for the PS3 at Feebay and they sell for about $20-$25 new...is that the way I should do it?  Exactly which ones will I get and which ones will I be lacking?

https://www.fiercepc.co.uk/blog/games/assassins-creed-games-in-order

I have played almost all of them, and they are pretty fun in general.  I typically play them very stealth focused, but you can fight/kill enemies as kind of a 3rd person action game if you want in most cases.  There is a lot of parkour/climbing/traversing cityscapes.  The overarching story is kind of weird, but each game's individual story is pretty good.  The first game is OK, but is very rough compared to future installments.  ACII is the real start of greatness and is carried over into Brotherhood and Revelations (collectively "The Ezio Trilogy")  ACIII, the one you are asking about, was one of the weakest IMO...Black Flag (ACIV) really brought the series back and had great naval combat.  I actually haven't played "Rogue", that will be the next one I play, but feelings towards it are generally very positive.  Unity they were going for a multiplayer theme and it was the worst of the bunch (besides AC1) IMO.  Syndicate was great, but that was when the sidequests and "other" stuff started getting a little too tiresome for me.  I played Origins, and there was just so much to do/discover that it overwhelmed me...I got to the credits after playing for 75 hours or so, but there was still tons of stuff I didn't do.  I haven't played Odyssey or Valhalla because I view them as too much of a time sink after playing Origins (but I do own them, and will play them some day).  I find my "history buff" friends either love it when they bring in historical figures/incorporate them into these outlandish sidestories or they hate it because it is so far off historical relevance.  Anyway, you should at least try one of them! (but please not ACIII...it is not a high point in the series)

Yeah obviously that whole King George Washington super tyrant on steroids was greatly exaggerated.  Granted there were those at the time who thought he should be the King of the United States but GW's take on that was (to paraphrase UK professor Mark Summers), "Look you already made me first in war and first in peace, right?  So how about you just make me first on the dollars of my countrymen and we'll call it even" 😄   Seriously the dude was on the History Channel and even on C-SPAN (wow was I really in one of his first classes at UK?  It says he started at UK in Fall of 1999 just as I did)?

https://www.c-span.org/person/?marksummers

PS: Obviously not to be confused with the Double Dare guy 😄 

Open world action adventure stealth game.  It is about an ongoing struggle between two secret societies spanning history and the globe.  You do rub elbows with historical figures.

First game is a bit rough.  It really gets good with AC2, and if you like that you can roll into Brotherhood and Revelations to complete the Ezio Trilogy.  These also got a remaster that includes all 3.

If you are less into the stealth stuff then AC4:Blackflag which is more pirate adventure and naval combat is really fun.

All the games are fairly samey.  Kind of feels like if you played one you played them all, like a modern day Mega Man.  So go with whatever setting and time period interests you.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Hey how is it that the whole AC2 and AC3 trilogies can fit on one PS3 disc?  I mean they didn't have to water them down or something to fit them did they? 😞 

Probably the games as originally released didn't fill the blu-ray to capacity.

Edited by Tulpa

How often DO the PS3/PS4 games use most of the disc?  And I mean in a for real good sort of way, not just for the sake of padding the game out needlessly or something.

And would it be okay to start with AC3 with its American Revolution theme or should I really do these in chronological order to get the most/best out of them?  Have they yet done any later periods in US history?

Edited by Estil