Are you interested in a VGS bookclub?

SailorScoutMandy

Book club?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Been throwing around the idea to potentially start up a VGS bookclub. 

Idea would be to run it similar to how the one at my last job worked: we suggest books we want to read and then vote on which to read. No forced books, it'd be a group decision. Also open to any topic of books. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted

I wouldn't personally be interested in it, as I'm not much of a reader and only very occasionally read a book or two if it really piques my interest, so I'll abstain from voting, but I do think this is a really great idea that you should totally do! I think this would be quite fun for those of you who do read books a bit more often than I do.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

There is one already.  We had a first selection, a handful of us actually read it, and then it died without further updates.

If you want to join the existing club, I'm sure you could drive some new action.

https://www.videogamesage.com/clubs/28-vgs-book-club/

• Like 1

Huh. I had no idea that club existed.  Just perused it quickly and my immediate thought about this or that is I’d probably read along every once in a while but probably not if it’s just a bunch of video game books.  I get about all the information on the topic I can stand just by spending so much time on here and being a collector in general.  Now throw out some novels about space wizards or an amphibian truck driver or something and we are talking.

25 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There is one already.  We had a first selection, a handful of us actually read it, and then it died without further updates.

If you want to join the existing club, I'm sure you could drive some new action.

https://www.videogamesage.com/clubs/28-vgs-book-club/

Oh I didn't know, my mistake. We talked about it at game night and it wasn't mentioned we already had one. 

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Oh I didn't know, my mistake. We talked about it at game night and it wasn't mentioned we already had one. 

Few people probably realize it existed.

I'm sure @zeppelin03 could make you a club leader.  When he was running it the focus seemed to be on gaming related books, but I'm sure people would be willing to broaden the scope @Hammerfestus

11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm sure @zeppelin03 could make you a club leader.  When he was running it the focus seemed to be on gaming related books, but I'm sure people would be willing to broaden the scope @Hammerfestus

My idea was open to all book types. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Also could be two clubs, one is game specific like it is now and the other could be wider range of books. Wouldn't disrupt the current group and allow my choices. 

There's no disruption.  It is 100% dead.  So I wouldn't create a new one.  Or we could perhaps "archive" the old one in some manner.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm glad I logged on to remove a FS listing and caught this. 

Anyone is welcome to take over and become the club leader.  My priorities shifted pretty soon after creating it and I am not really active here currently.  If an admin/mod can change the leader it would be great.  I wasn't sure how to change it it when someone else expressed interest in taking over last year.  The club could definitely use a reboot though.

I'll keep an eye on the thread for a couple days so a leadership transfer can occur.

51 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm glad I logged on to remove a FS listing and caught this. 

Anyone is welcome to take over and become the club leader.  My priorities shifted pretty soon after creating it and I am not really active here currently.  If an admin/mod can change the leader it would be great.  I wasn't sure how to change it it when someone else expressed interest in taking over last year.  The club could definitely use a reboot though.

I'll keep an eye on the thread for a couple days so a leadership transfer can occur.

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure about the change over but I'd assume @Jeevanor @Gloves would assist with this?

Events Helper · Posted
4 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure about the change over but I'd assume @Jeevanor @Gloves would assist with this?

Yes, if @zeppelin03 just adds you as a club leader or whatnot u should be able to in essence do a hostile takeover 😉  

But then if zeppelin03 still wants to partake then they can as well.  So join up and then you can be added as a moderator basically of that club and arrange it as u see fit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Social Team · Posted
13 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

We are voting on the first book this week if you wanted to join in. 

Choices include The Colour of Magic (disc world books #1), Neverehere by Neil Gaiman, All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, and French Exit by Patrick deWitt. 

I was way to quick on voting no.  The Colour of Magic AND Neverwhere.......if you are putting up books like that then I'm VERY interested.

Edited by FireHazard51

I threw in a vote for "maybe" because I used to be a fairly avid reader and then life kinda had other plans for my former reading-time.

I went with "maybe" instead of a firm "yes" simply because:
a) I recognize that I can be pretty picky about my reading. I like some classical fiction but my mainstay is particular types of sci-fi or fantasy. Outside that, if a book doesn't have an early hook, it's tough to press on. I'm even pickier about non-fiction reading (mostly interested in ancient history, pre-history and the philosophy of belief systems).
b) I'm not a fast reader (at best, about 50 pages per sitting is the extent of my focus these days).
c) I've already got a pretty significant backlog of books on my shelf that I haven't read yet...

But I'm interested to see if this goes anywhere and if the kind of material the club is in for sounds like it's up my alley.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...