IGNORED

Surprising Wii U system software update (5.5.5)...guess they didn't completely forget about it!

Estil

Yeah, that's very curious. Oddly enough, I recently moved to a new house and had to reassemble my gaming set-up. I always test everything to make sure it's still working and I hadn't booted up the WiiU in over a year, so I powered it up last week. I even checked (just because) to see if there had been any system updates since last I visited and...nope. Lo and behold, now one is finally out there? Wow!

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'd wager dollars to donuts that it closes some sort of piracy-related loophole in the software. That's pretty much Nintendo's only motivation for updating anything older than the Switch.

Yes they are among the worst Copyright Nazis.

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

3DS got one a couple months ago so it's no surprise. There will probably be updates for years if the 3DS is any prediction for the future. 

I don't know if I would base it off that.  I would expect the 3DS to get updates for some time, but not necessarily for the Wii U.  In fact, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Wii had continued to get updates beyond the Wii U.   

13 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'd wager dollars to donuts that it closes some sort of piracy-related loophole in the software. That's pretty much Nintendo's only motivation for updating anything older than the Switch.

from what I've seen it's just security update stuff, so yeah. I'm not really surprised - the 3DS continued to get little updates for years as well. And there's still an eShop on both, so there's at least some motivation (income) to keep the devices secure.

• Like 1

I guess also related, the last time I hooked up my Wii (probably within the last year) it still connected to the Nintendo server to get the last update, IIRC.  I'm sure it wasn't a new one, but even in 2020, they were keeping the connections alive to update the latest changes.

It wouldn't surprise me then if they push more in the future, and those changes are still accessible for another 5 years after the final update if the Wii is any indication.