IGNORED

Show off your dogs thread

cgfeelit

On 5/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, MegaMan52 said:

image.jpeg.2ed89cd7a9171cdbad5a7e37926fa5e1.jpeg

image.jpeg.583c30d302dd14db909a63d4d495ba40.jpeg

Say hello to Charlie. He's less than a year old. As expected, he's very similar to the old Pug (see picture above) in that he does a lot of biting. However, he's more energetic and can sometimes be hyper. Also, he really likes to sit on the stairs.

Oh I do hope his teeth aren't razor sharp like my cat's are!  Seriously kitty, my feet are not cat food!  And you should tell your cannibalistic dog that you are not dog food!

1 hour ago, Estil said:

This probably isn't my fight so to speak but I've been wondering...you know how some rental agreements/leases single out certain breeds of dogs as forbidden (like pit bulls or other stereotypically "dangerous" or "junkyard" breeds)...wouldn't that count as doggie racism (or more accurately breedism)?  I mean, just like people, no dog is "born" to bite your leg off or be an attack sort of dog...they have to be taught to be that way (by the people and/or environment they become accustomed to).

By law, dogs aren't people, they're considered property. They can't claim the same rights as humans. So yes, rental agreements can ban them barring a local ordinance that forbids it.

• Sad 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, Estil said:

This probably isn't my fight so to speak but I've been wondering...you know how some rental agreements/leases single out certain breeds of dogs as forbidden (like pit bulls or other stereotypically "dangerous" or "junkyard" breeds)...wouldn't that count as doggie racism (or more accurately breedism)?  I mean, just like people, no dog is "born" to bite your leg off or be an attack sort of dog...they have to be taught to be that way (by the people and/or environment they become accustomed to).

screw people, because that is what has caused pitty's to be considered dangerous animals ❤️  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

By law, dogs aren't people, they're considered property. They can't claim the same rights as humans. So yes, rental agreements can ban them barring a local ordinance that forbids it.

I'm not asking if it's legal I'm asking if it's morally right.

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

im talking about people who mistreat them!  

Well let's be a little more specific next time!  Like in my HS days when a Christian sort of fellow told me it's a sin to have sex and I responded that that's how we all got here!  Then he clarified outside of marriage...to which I also said next time let's be a little more specific! 😛 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm not asking if it's legal I'm asking if it's morally right.

Well, it gets into the rights of the landlord vs the rights of dog owners. On the one hand, people want to control their own property (their rental property that they rent to others); on the other, people want to control their own property (their dog.)

One has to give, with all the associated consequences of that choice.

Edited by Tulpa

14 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Well, it gets into the rights of the landlord vs the rights of dog owners. On the one hand, people want to control their own property (their rental property that they rent to others); on the other, people want to control their own property (their dog.)

One has to give, with all the associated consequences of that choice.

Then the landlord/landlady should either not allow dogs at all or ones up to a certain weight (in my apt I think it's <30 lbs).  Singling out specific dog breeds as "bad" just looks way too much like breedism.  And if discrimination is supposed to be wrong, then that must go across the board. 

After all, if you see one acting all hateful and bigoted towards a particular group that is not one of the "protected classes", who's to say they won't also be discriminatory to one or more of those protected classes if they thought they'd morally be able to get away with it or not really have to worry about getting called out on it?  Forget the "dog whistling" crap, THAT'S the true test of how prejudiced/discriminatory/etc a person might be.

26 minutes ago, Estil said:

Then the landlord/landlady should either not allow dogs at all or ones up to a certain weight (in my apt I think it's <30 lbs).  Singling out specific dog breeds as "bad" just looks way too much like breedism.  And if discrimination is supposed to be wrong, then that must go across the board. 

Then we're opening it up to having dogs have the same rights as humans, then other animals, and then it opens up whether we're allowed to actually keep pets or not at all.

You may have to release your cat into the wild.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I sadly must announce that my grandma's beloved black poodle Cleo (not to be confused with the TV "psychic") passed away [Friday, Sept 9] after having to be put down due to old age...she was 12. 😢 She's always had a black poodle as long as I can remember (her previous dogs were "Candy" and before her "Scruffy"). 😢

Incidentally my grandma will turn the big 9-1 this month and her memory and her being able to walk/get around is definitely not what it used to be.  I mean losing my wife a little over two years ago was plenty bad enough but I've known my grandma my whole life and had all those awesome Christmas Eves with her not to mention her taking me to The Happiest Place In The Tri-State (Holiday World) every year back in the day.  I'm very well aware that I'm very fortunate to have had her (and my grandpa; who passed in 2012) as long as I have (I'm 43) but even so, even if she manages to make it to 95 or 100...when it's her time to check out, it's gonna really, REALLY suck balls.😢

Edited by Estil

I don't wanna 

On 5/27/2022 at 10:05 AM, Estil said:

After all, if you see one acting all hateful and bigoted towards a particular group that is not one of the "protected classes", who's to say they won't also be discriminatory to one or more of those protected classes if they thought they'd morally be able to get away with it or not really have to worry about getting called out on it?  Forget the "dog whistling" crap, THAT'S the true test of how prejudiced/discriminatory/etc a person might be.

I see your point but if you'd want to press the issue, I would say it's not equivalent to racism and bigotry. Pit bulls for example are misunderstood and are very kind protective loving creatures when raised with care, but they have physical attributes (muscularity and jaw strength) that attract abusers who train them violent. That's a common activity in some neighborhoods, and a landlord might want to be sure it's not happening with their facilitation. 

I for one wouldn't allow any dogs in my rental apartment, mainly just because I don't want their waste in my yard. And the noise of barking 😖