IGNORED

Identify Seal of Quality Transition Times -- Can you check your games for me?

ThePhleo

Hey guys, so I'm working on my biggest and best list so far and I'm almost ready to share.

I just need to verify the transition between circle seal of quality, to oval TM seal of quality, to oval R seal of quality. I've got a good idea of when and I just need you all to check your games for me.

It can be a cartridge, box, or even a manual.

DO YOU HAVE A CIRCLE SEAL OF QUALITY FOR ...

• Ultima: Exodus
  • Dance Aerobics
  • John Elway's Quarterback
  • Ninja Gaiden

DO YOU HAVE AN OVAL TM ™ SEAL OF QUALITY FOR...

• Conflict
  • Heavy Barrel
  • Dynowarz
  • Super Off Road
  • Snake's Revenge
  • Tecmo World Wrestling (Cart confirmed)
  • Wrath of the Black Manta

Here are my current findings:

Nintendo transitioned from the "Circle" seal of quality to the Oval ™ seal of quality some time during March 1989.

Nintendo transitioned from the Oval ™ seal of quality to the Oval ® seal of quality some time during April 1990.

The titles above are titles released somewhere in between that are sort of anomalous since their "believed" release dates are before, during, or after those transition times. Most notably, Ultima: Exodus which is believed to have been released in February 1989.

Nintendo filed a trademark for the Nintendo Seal on April 24, 1989, and was granted the trademark on December 12, 1989. On the application they said the first use of the seal was March 1, 1989.

This means that theoretically speaking, any game released from December 12, 1989 can have the "Oval ®" seal of quality. The USPTO Number for this trademark filing is 1570911

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, thatgamernerd said:

Tecmo World Wrestling, oval seal TM.

EBB9F4E2-B368-49DA-B8A0-A7A74C000D8C.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks 🙂

So this leaves only four others in the "April 1989" subcategory that need TM variant confirmation...Dynowarz, Super Off Road, Snake's Revenge, and Wrath of the Black Manta.

Conflict and Heavy Barrel are oddities in the "March 1989" subcategory that I just can't find TM variants when they *should* have them if they were actually released in March.

Edited by ThePhleo

9 hours ago, ThePhleo said:
  • Ultima: Exodus
  • Dance Aerobics
  • John Elway's Quarterback
  • Ninja Gaiden

None of mine are circle seal and I've never seen a circle seal in the hundreds of these I've seen. I'm fairly confident they all only have oval seals.

9 hours ago, ThePhleo said:
  • Conflict
  • Heavy Barrel
  • Dynowarz
  • Super Off Road
  • Snake's Revenge
  • Tecmo World Wrestling (Cart confirmed)
  • Wrath of the Black Manta

Every item on this list has (R) on box and cart in my collection.

3 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

None of mine are circle seal and I've never seen a circle seal in the hundreds of these I've seen. I'm fairly confident they all only have oval seals.

Every item on this list has (R) on box and cart in my collection.

No doubt, I’m just trying to make sure with absolute certainty they don’t exist.

I can’t be the only one trying to finalize the seal of quality list Afterall!

• Like 1

Then they much later had to be sellout cowards and drop the "of Quality" part...as if to say they no longer care about ensuring quality products 😞   I mean back when you had the official Nintendo Seal of Quality, you can never go wrong 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

No doubt, I’m just trying to make sure with absolute certainty they don’t exist.

I can’t be the only one trying to finalize the seal of quality list Afterall!

I am also.

And I check every Side Pocket and The Karate Kid I come across to see if I find the last 2 undiscovered 5 screw cartridges supposed to exist.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaddyMulk said:

My Snake’s Revenge has an (R) and should be a first print: I haunted my local Toys R Us until this one finally came out, paid $43 for it and got ticked off when they marked it down to $20 less than six months later. 

F9351AF2-1126-4304-9A59-89F58A6909E6.jpeg

Thanks.

This is one of the titles believed to been released during the transition from TM to R so it’s nice to have a solid lead.

I still need more data points though but I’m also pretty confident that there isn’t a TM variant on this one as well.

Still not confident enough to remove it though!

Edit: Keep in mind I still consider a 5-screw Karate Kid, and Side Pocket in the realm of possibility. There are some things that will never be removed from certain “unconfirmed variant” lists.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, ThePhleo said:

Nintendo transitioned from the "Circle" seal of quality to the Oval ™ seal of quality some time during March 1989.

Nintendo transitioned from the Oval ™ seal of quality to the Oval ® seal of quality some time during April 1990.

I was going through some of my pictures, and I noticed one of the Zelda 2 Oval TM manuals I own has a date code of 90216 (2/16/1989). So it seems like the transition may have started a little earlier.

IMG_20200412_151220.thumb.jpg.6b9603d43b05d9a6b2704b10a8c1d95d.jpg

This post has a little more info that might help pin down the Circle to Oval TM transition:

I don't own a Zelda 2 Oval R (non-starred) manual, but a scan of one can be found here. It has the date code 00306 (3/6/1990) which is a month sooner than your estimate. I also happen to have a very early Zelda 2 Oval R cart (pictured below). The latest date code on any chip is 8951 (week of 12/17/1989). Although I have no clue how well the indicates when the final assembly happened.

FrPcgq1.jpeg

I also went through my collection of Zelda PCB pictures taken from eBay auctions, but none of the 12 Oval TM or 19 Oval R boards were older than the ones I posted (and neither were the Zelda 1 manuals, although the Zelda 1 Oval R manual does not even have a date code which has always annoyed me).

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1