IGNORED

Best & Worst Video Games of 2020

What is the best game from 2020 and the worst, that you actually played?

Personally, I think GoTY should go to Cyberpunk 2077, because it has been entertaining like no other game in a long time 🙂

Seriously though, I haven't played many games from 2020 (to be clear, I mean released in 2020). But of the ones I played I would have to say my favorite was Nioh 2. To be fair, it's still getting upgrades, and in many ways it's clearly a Dark Souls derivative. But, the lovely mixture of Japanese folklore and history, the numerous weapons, magic, ninjitsu, the overall aesthetics - all top-notch. And again, I don't necessarily play games the year they come out so the competition wasn't exactly fierce. Still, I would highly recommend people purchase Nioh 2 especially for the PS5 when the complete edition comes out in February. That said, my vote for worst is Mortal Shell - it's a Dark Souls clone that had a lot of potential, but sadly fell very flat. Unlike Nioh 2 which did the Dark Souls mechanism correctly, Mortal Shell was just slow and boring.

Edited by avatar!

The only two games I played/bought that were released this year are 3D Allstars and Animal Crossing for my wife. I have zero interest in AC and played for all of 20 minutes but she likes it so I'm happy. Allstars isn't even really 'new' so I don't have much say in this. Games are almost $100 in Canada so typically best to avoid buying new.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Figures 😅

To be fair, I think the Switch version came out this year. I know sometimes it's tricky keeping track of when a game gets ported...

Also I really want to play Carrion, it looks sweet.

Edited by avatar!

Events Team · Posted

My favorite would by far be DOOM Eternal. One of the best FPS games ever released, and the highest point in the DOOM series since the first two games.

Haven't played Age of Calamity though, we'll see how that fairs. I doubt it'll top DOOM Eternal for me though. Eternal is so damn fun once you get in to the swing of things.

• Like 1

It was a stale year for gaming for me. Animal crossing didn't appeal to me, Cyber Punk isn't worth the money yet, and Halo got delayed. I ended up playing mostly games from 2019 out even later. 

I think my favorite game I played from this year was Kakorot, of all games lol One of the few I played that was released this year. 

I plunked down $3 nearly a decade ago to try a weird-looking amateur brawler called Streets of Fury from the Xbox Indies section. It seemed to be a tribute to Guardians of the ‘Hood of all things, and yet wound up having a crude but fun combo system that was light years beyond anything in that game.

And in 2020, that same team helped bring a proper Streets of Rage sequel to market that became my favorite game of the year. Amazing.

• Like 1

Ghost of Tsushima was the best. TLoU2 was close but after they switch you over to playing as Abby I kind of lost interest. 

No real worst game for me. Cyberpunk was definitely the most overhyped though. I have a Series X so I didn’t really get a ton of bugs or crashes. The main story was short and even though it looks really nice I thought it was lacking overall as a game. Honestly it would have been better if you just played as Silverhand and the story was based around that. Can’t wait for the prequel lol

• Like 1

I'll have to think about it a little more, but I wanted to get something down.

Best

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  2. Demon's Souls

Worst

1. Paper Mario: The Origami King (Not terrible, just terribly disappointing and easily my least favorite game of the year)
Edited by DoctorEncore