IGNORED

Here we go again?? I had hoped that this type of behavior was a bad memory.

Tabonga

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-cases-surge-stores-face-170500625.html

I haven't noticed anything being stripped at the stores again that we go to yet - aside from a few canned goods that were on sale (for example Safeway had a sale on canned Chef Boyardee stuff and a few of the varieties were out).

If people don't panic and buy up everything in sight (whether they need it or not) the supply chains can function as normal and keep up with usual demand so that everyone can get things they want/need.

But people seem to rarely look beyond their own narrow interests in these matters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fox said:

No paper towels at the store today and they were out of the good toilet paper.  

Combo of spike in COVID cases and recent storms.

Whenever we have a major (or one that remotely resembles it) snowstorm the mob descends on the grocery stores like a plague of locusts that consumes all baked goods and dairy products in its path.  The dumb thing is that such storms here rarely last more than 2 days and the stores rapidly restock.  People never seem to snap to the fact that they don't need 3 weeks (or whatever) worth of supplies to weather (as it were) the weather.

Luckily my wife and i use stuff like almond milk and eat quite a bit of tofu and fish products so we tend to be able to find all our go to items haha.  After the election I heard our Costco was a nightmare with people shoving like it was Black Friday.  Fights were breaking out in the store; it was pretty silly.

I’ve been hearing this is coming for weeks. While I don’t have such a hard time getting lots of the stuff I eat, last time this went down I ran out of toilet paper and paper towels. Literally had to ask my boss if I could have some from work. One of my neighbors was going door to door selling rolls of toilet paper for $2. I told him to go fuck himself and we haven’t been friendly ever since. 
Not gonna lie, last Sunday I went and bought 3 months worth of toiletries. TP, toothpaste, shit like that because that was the stuff I couldn’t get with my casual trips to the grocery store. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is some footage from 1962 during the Cuban Missle Crisis:

I remember seeing this type of stuff on tv and even at the age of 10 being astounded.  And it wasn't just grocery stores - construction and lumber supply places got cleaned out since there was a mad rush to build fallout shelters. Things such as batteries and generators (to provide electricity) also got bought up.

At our local warehouse club it's been hit or miss finding paper towels, toilet paper, or tissues since March.   So I've just been snagging that stuff on the trips where I see it.

Our governor has hinted at Ohio locking down again, so I'm sure the panic buying will start all over.

A local grocery store had Mexican toilet paper on closeout for 25 cents a roll a couple months ago and I near bought them out. Still have plenty. Walmart and grocery stores have been tight on paper towels lately, but I've been finding plenty at Big lots with a strict buy 2 limit. I do see people with cartfuls of toiletries being silly again lately though . 

Perhaps the media are trying to up their ratings by scaring the crap out of people again on a nation level so they'll go out and buy up all the stuff to create a self fulfilling prophecy.  I miss when the news actually did that, report on the news, not create it to stir the pot. 😞

I've not seen anything get scarce here like it did earlier in the year.

4 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Our governor has hinted at Ohio locking down again, so I'm sure the panic buying will start all over.

That doesn't help things. He acts like he doesn't have any real plan and treats his press conferences like a TV season premiere where you have to tune into next week's episode to find out if anything is going to happen or if it's just going to be another lecture.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That doesn't help things. He acts like he doesn't have any real plan and treats his press conferences like a TV season premiere where you have to tune into next week's episode to find out if anything is going to happen or if it's just going to be another lecture.

The worst part about his shit is the "if things don't improve in a week".   OF COURSE THEY WON'T.

Just be honest and tell people you're gonna shutter schools after Thanksgiving until the New Year.   Leave restaurants/bars/bowling alleys out of it.

Moderator · Posted

It definitely sucks when that kind of behavior takes over, but it can lead to some good stories sometimes...

A few years ago when Hurricane Sandy was nearing my hometown in CT, there was panic buying at the local grocery store. My folks aren’t those kinds of people, but they were running low on dog food so my dad figured he’d just run out and get some before the storm hit. He gets to the store, gets the bag of dog food, and starts heading for the register. He then bumps into a friend who looks at my dad, looks at the cart, looks back at my dad and says: “Oh Lord, please tell me it hasn’t come to this!” He thought all the food was gone and my dad was stooping to stocking up on dog food just to have something to eat!

^haha 🙂 nice story Scrobins

Still, people unfortunately tend to act without using their brains. Panic buying is nothing new and has been going on for far longer than any of us have been alive.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-science-behind-behavior/202003/why-are-we-panic-buying-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic

It leads to shortages of necessities, waste, and higher prices for everyone.

7 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The worst part about his shit is the "if things don't improve in a week".   OF COURSE THEY WON'T.

Just be honest and tell people you're gonna shutter schools after Thanksgiving until the New Year.   Leave restaurants/bars/bowling alleys out of it.

I agree 100%.

While I was at Walmart yesterday I saw two dickheads with their carts filled with paper towels and toilet paper (to the point I am not sure how they managed to see where the cart was headed - they were both pretty short).  How much sh*tting are they planning to do?  (Bear in mind I was in the store very briefly - these days I go in with a mission and get out as quickly as possible - so I assume that there are others doing this well above and beyond those two ninnies.)

As the line from one of my favorite comedy songs does "be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet."

I think the obvious conclusion is that they're going to scalp the (forgive the pun) shit out of them.  Although some would argue that they're simply providing a service by buying up all of the goods at regular price then spiking the price once availability is no more, allowing everybody access to the no longer available goods.  How would anyone continue to have access to product, at at MSRP, if it were simply left on shelves to be bought as people needed it?  The horror!