IGNORED

Has demand dropped on eBay?

MiamiSlice

Lately I've noticed less competition on eBay auctions. Seen some games go for a decent amount less than what they were fetching recently in BINs. I just won a Pokemon Yellow CIB for about $120 which was shocking because I've seen Pokemon gen-1 games CIB going for over $200 lately. I also saw a Metal Slug 7 with slipcover and the bonus CD go for $45 + shipping with just 2 bids. That's a game that should be fetching at least $80 in that condition. 

I have this idea that maybe we are starting to see the COVID buying mania cool off since most people who just entered the hobby because "furloughed + trump bucks" have probably amassed enough at this point that they are slowing down. I mean if you haven't taken up game collecting due to the lockdowns by now then you probably never will. Even pre-COVID I would almost always get sniped on an eBay listing and I would usually see auctions sell for close to what a fair BIN would be. But maybe I'm just imagining things. Is anyone else noticing a difference in eBay behavior recently? 

• Like 2

I think it is dropping, but as usual, I think your mileage may vary.  I've had two weekends of auctions end and most of that stuff was PS1 RPGs.  For auctions, they all ended quite well.  I also had some BIN stuff that sold, but it was almost always to people outside the US.  As usual, overpricing a bit but selling "anywhere" in the world pays off.  I sometimes get 10-15% more than the typical US price.

However, I have a copy of MKR posted.  I've dropped the price multiple times and I've kept the For Offer option on.  No serious offers have been given and it's "tanking" in price.  I'm fine with that.  I was on the fence of getting rid of it anyway.  Regardless, when it's value broke $1,000 I was wanting to put that "worth" into other more meaningful games.  But, now it doesn't look like I'll get anything close to $1,000 for it.  I just missed the peak.

Regardless, everything seems to be cooling off, which is good, because I still need to pick up Paper Mario TTYD, which I've wanted for ages, and I think I'll play through it with my kids.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

I will be happy if we get an extended cooling off mainly because there's still a bunch of games I want to buy but also because I've seen enough idiots saying prices will never come down and I can't wait to be petty 

The other people have over a decade to be petty to people like you who have been waiting for the crash 😉 

Well I suppose I could test it.  I'm considering doing another round of refresh/add back up to 50 listings maybe tonight.  I've not seen cooling the few periods I've tried since March from one to the next.  Perhaps it could also be more directly game/console or even genre based where some people are just dumber with their money on one thing over the other.

18 hours ago, doner24 said:

The other people have over a decade to be petty to people like you who have been waiting for the crash 😉 

I haven’t been waiting for a crash for 10 years though. If anything I was the guy defending the price rise up until this year as natural and to be expected. It was only the COVID mania spike that I felt was unusual and unsustainable. 

I think a lot of things got a sugar hit during the first few months of lockdowns, probably due to boredom and stimulus money.

Here, lots of things have gone up to crazy levels. Bicycles, second hand cars and motorbikes, trading cards, games, and probably a lot more collectibles I don’t know about.

I think we will start to see a dip now that people are starting to realise that we’re in for the long haul, jobs won’t be secure and the stimulus money is slowing down.

Hopefully we’ll start to see some good deals popping up soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

All I can say is condition, condition, condition.  I assume it's in excellent shape for an old, first-edition magazine intended for children.

It's ok. It's faded, there's a big bend at the top of the cover, and there's wear on the spine. One photo of the interior. I've been scoping these out since last year and I feel like I definitely could have picked one up in this condition for less than $100 six months ago. 

14 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Paper is finally on the rise! 

Nintendo Power has had a rise in value, and it doesn't really surprise me.  Also, in fact, I suspect that between now and 10 years, I think strategy guides could see huge spikes.  Granted, people really don't need that information any more.  There are plenty of guides in text, wiki or video form.  However, guides are also often well made, glorified "art books".  There are definitely some pricey guides, but I could see them spiking in value if/when people start paying attention.  Official guides are like bonus companion material, just like buying a big box, special edition today.  It's just the bonuses were sold separate.

7 hours ago, RH said:

Nintendo Power has had a rise in value, and it doesn't really surprise me.  Also, in fact, I suspect that between now and 10 years, I think strategy guides could see huge spikes.  Granted, people really don't need that information any more.  There are plenty of guides in text, wiki or video form.  However, guides are also often well made, glorified "art books".  There are definitely some pricey guides, but I could see them spiking in value if/when people start paying attention.  Official guides are like bonus companion material, just like buying a big box, special edition today.  It's just the bonuses were sold separate.

I think I like strategy guides more than the games themselves. Honestly there are some games where I’m fine not owning the cart as long as I have the guide (like Super Mario RPG).

Also I wish I had been buying Nintendo Power before it got so expensive. I finally have room for it and now look at this nonsense! I see people listing graded copies which I wasn’t expecting. 

Woof! I'm glad I picked up all the NP issues I was interested in way back when. I got the first 5 issues in good shape for $75. I ended up going up to issue #150 which is the first issue after the Gamecubes release I think and I've only ever been interested in N64. I think the vast majority of those issues were <$2 a piece save for a few specific Zelda ones and such. Ive been tempted over the years to pull posters for my walls, as they are all have the posters still attached, but have decided against it. This would be an excellent repro market if someone really took the time to reproduce all of the NP posters.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Ive been tempted over the years to pull posters for my walls, as they are all have the posters still attached, but have decided against it. This would be an excellent repro market if someone really took the time to reproduce all of the NP posters.

I’ve seen plenty of listings for loose posters. There’s enough detached posters out there that people don’t need to make repros yet.

10 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I’ve seen plenty of listings for loose posters. There’s enough detached posters out there that people don’t need to make repros yet.

I mean yea they are available but they would have staples holes in them from when the issues used staples if not outright tears from the glue bonded ones. Anything with something even remotely desirable seems to sell for $15-20 for just the poster. At least for me these things are just nice pictures for the wall and don't need to be original. It be nice to be able to get new ones without the staple hole/tears and even possibly rolled instead of folded to not have the creases in them for cheap.

Edit: Well I actually did find some, though not of the ones I would like

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/nintendo%2Bpower+posters

Not as cheap as I would like but don't have to tear up the magazines either

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1