IGNORED

High Score on Netflix

3rdStrongestMole

Oof, this kind of "documentary" format rubs me the wrong way. It just seems extremely superficial and shallow. I wanted to watch the "Movies That Made Us" miniseries also on Netflix because of the subject matter, but I couldn't make it through the first half of the Die Hard episode because of how cringeworthy it was. It felt like it didn't care at all about the very thing it was supposed to document.

I'm gonna watch this because I'm curious about it, but I have a feeling it'll just wake up the "um ackshually..." in me. 😛 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Some of it seems a little political... Which I'm not even sure how they worked into a video game doc... That parts kind of annoying

I just finished that episode and I was disappointed they threw in those political scenes. It added nothing to the episode and felt like it was in there just so Netflix can add it to their quotas.

I’ve noticed this has become a big trend with US media lately and has actually driven me towards exploring more European and Japanese media. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Haven't had time to watch it yet but it's on my list!

I'll have to keep my eye out for outrageously extreme political views... Don't tell me they interviewed a woman did they?! 😮🤮

😂😂 They had good interviews with women. The overly political stuff is hard to miss. It really wouldn't be a big deal, but a lot of it seems forced... And unrelated to the larger history of gaming

19 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

😂😂 They had good interviews with women. The overly political stuff is hard to miss. It really wouldn't be a big deal, but a lot of it seems forced... And unrelated to the larger history of gaming

Like the dude from EA that’s gay, cool hes gay but what does that have to do with anything? Good old Netflix 

51 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I don't see how interviews with trans or gay people are a political thing. 

But yea, they came down on Pat Buchanan pretty hard in episode 3. Personally I found it enjoyable. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't find the interview with the trans girl political because it was historically relevant to video games. It's when they go on tangents about the hardships of minorities/gays/etc. and are interviewing them specifically for that reason that I take issue with it. I'd like the interviews to be with people that can best tell the history of gaming, whether those people are straight/gay/trans, whatever, as long as it's those who've had the greatest impact. So far, this doc would have you thinking that the majority of people that helped launch the video game revolution were gay and that sounds like a stretch to me 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I didn't find the interview with the trans girl political because it was historically relevant to video games. It's when they go on tangents about the hardships of minorities/gays/etc. and are interviewing them specifically for that reason that I take issue with it. I'd like the interviews to be with people that can best tell the history of gaming, whether those people are straight/gay/trans, whatever, as long as it's those who've had the greatest impact. So far, this doc would have you thinking that the majority of people that helped launch the video game revolution were gay and that sounds like a stretch to me 🤔

Fair enough, but I don't think this documentary is really talking about the end all be all history of gaming. They are picking out different parts to tell. I mean they spent an episode talking about Ultima. Yea it was important, but of all games to go in depth on. I think the interview from the black guy from EA was interesting. He had a good story to tell about getting hired there and it was nice hearing his perspective about when they added black players in Madden 95. 

If you want interviews with those that had the greatest impact, you're gonna need to ask them to increase their budget and interview Miyamoto, etc. 

• Like 2