IGNORED

Am I the only one who MUST have the video with their music? Often you really do need the video to really do the song justice

Estil

On this one I always liked the Golden Age of Hollywood theme; not to mention the shoutouts at 5:38

Anyone remember when this song caused so much controversy and it cost her a Pepsi contract?  BTW, that is St. Martin de Porres (patron saint of racial equality), NOT a "black Jesus" as was commonly believed at the time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_de_Porres

Hee hee this one from my college days I thought the setting was kinda fun...Madonna is Going To Where The Flavor Is.  Shot on location in Marlboro Country. 😄   BTW, why do Final Fantasy games have an enemy named that, after cigarettes of all things?

56 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I prefer to not see the music videos if at all possible.  Never really got the point.  They just seem like a distraction from the music.

Yeah, the whole premise of this thread seems odd to me. On demand access to music videos really only became a thing in the last 5-7 years, and now you can't listen to music without it? Hmm ok.

I listen to classical and opera 90% of the time. Once in a while I'll hop onto YT to watch a historically significant performance, but that's just out of curiosity.

Once in a while I'll sit back and shuffle music from the 90s and early 2000s when I'm feeling some nostalgia for pre-9/11 zeitgeist rock or want to hear some R.E.M. deep cuts or other stuff I used to listen to back in the day that is only online as a video.

• Like 2

Long ago from kiddom to early adulthood aside from video game music and cartoon theme songs I was not heavily into music. I did listen to and liked music then, just really didn't go out of my way to really and never owned any music. Mid 90s I got into anime, so actually had some music from some of my favorites which were my very first music cd's (never owned a record in my life, nor cassette). But it wasn't until sometime in the later 200X with Youtube that I really started to find stuff I enjoyed outside of those I've already mentioned, and it was through music videos that it happened. Still to this day I listen to all of my music through Youtube, though it has become more a pain in the ass with ads galour beginning, end and sometimes interrupting right in the middle. Most of the music has videos, that is how I start when I find something I like, but then I will listen to sometimes without, but the overall experience makes it even more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, MeganJoanne said:

Still to this day I listen to all of my music through Youtube, though it has become more a pain in the ass with ads galour beginning, end and sometimes interrupting right in the middle. 

Ad Block my good man! 😄 

19 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I recommend Jdownloader2 also to download YT content directly to your own computer. Nothing stays up forever, so grab your own copy!

I hope it's better than KeepVid...that's the only download YT place I knew of.

I'm about a year too late saying this but happy 30th anniversary to the Kentucky Headhunters most famous song.  Before anyone asks:

The black guy in the video: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Johnson_(musician)

Ski soda: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_(drink)

Where the band is from (and where it gets its name): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton,_Kentucky

And who and where the real life Dumas Walker: http://kentuckycountrymusic.com/2017/03/who-is-dumas-walker.html

As you guys probably know by now, I'm very much a flag waving patriot who appreciates so very much getting to be lucky enough to be from the good ol' USA! 🙂  But with apologies to Lee Greenwood, I'm just as if not more proud of being a Kentuckian too! 🙂

I think we're the only school that has a traditional distinctive closing number for after the game.

Edited by Estil

52 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

No.  

Also doesn’t that lead you to a really superficial experience of bands? Only ever listening to the singles?

No way, I got into ABBA last fall because of the videos!  As well as concerts posted on YT!

I like videos.

MTV was awesome long before streaming. 

56 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Also doesn’t that lead you to a really superficial experience of bands? Only ever listening to the singles?

I listen to full albums, too. 

And youtube has led me to discover new bands and deep cuts from bands who I don’t have m/any of their albums. So for me, no it doesn’t.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, ChickenTendas said:

MTV videos are great and all, but most Youtube music videos aren't too memorable. Not sure if it's just me but I feel like the majority of music videos I've watched have kind of blended together. I'd much rather just listen to the song on the radio or on Pandora and have my eyes on something else.

Edit: Forgot about this masterpiece😉

Hey I'm supposed to be doing that trick here! 😄   Anyway...this is a really fun video; how many of these athletes can you guys identify? 🙂 

And I already gone on record as to how my in awe I am that such 3D polygon graphics could even be at all possible back in 1985 (I bet the computer(s) used must've been well into the tens of thousands of dollars)...ten years before a mainstream game console (PS1) could do ANYTHING like this.

If only we could get this surprised with modern tech/computer/console graphics 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

Videos are not a must for me, although youtube has me watching more nowadays......but im still a fan of the all 80's weekend on a local station!!!!

Anyway, 2 of my favorites that must have the video played to get the full experience:

Edit:  didnt realize they cut LOTR into the vid, but still all there i think!?  changed out with OG, crappier quality sound tho. 

Edited by Jeevan
  • Haha 1

A lot of times the music video will have an intro/outro or added sound effects like people talking to push whatever the plot of the video is in favor of the actual song. Also it's harder to find the songs uncensored. But even with none of the mentiod i'm just not that interested in watching period.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cartman said:

A lot of times the music video will have an intro/outro or added sound effects like people talking to push whatever the plot of the video is in favor of the actual song.

Like this one?

To me, that's the kind of thing that makes videos so great.  I'll agree with you in that I can't get behind the added sound effects in most cases.