IGNORED

New Alex Kidd, Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

Jicsan

I want this a lot, but if they kept in being killed by jan ken pon matches as a requirement to win a stage it's a hard pass without a massive discount price on some year or two out future sale.  I loved the game but those 'fights' pissed me off to no end.

1 hour ago, CMR said:

Looks cool.  Is this the same team that did Streets of Rage 4 and Monster World?

Don't think so...

Here's what it says on the Steam page:

header.jpg?t=1591822194
A legend returns in stunning new detail with Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX! Fire up your power bracelet and relive a platforming classic alongside new modes, levels and features!
ALL REVIEWS:
No user reviews
RELEASE DATE:
Q1 2021
DEVELOPER:
PUBLISHER:
Popular user-defined tags for this product:
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tanooki said:

I want this a lot, but if they kept in being killed by jan ken pon matches as a requirement to win a stage it's a hard pass without a massive discount price on some year or two out future sale.  I loved the game but those 'fights' pissed me off to no end.

I seem to remember reading that the developer(s) later regretted including those matches, and I think it's safe to assume they'll be replaced with something fairer.

• Thanks 1

These retro games that just take old ass 8-bit graphics and upscale them to 16:9 always look so cool, I think because it's such a rare style and those "8-bit style" games typically get "enhanced" with more graphics. Would love if more games had that style instead of being overly fancy. The remake graphics here look nice too though.

As someone who has seen Alex Kidd as a platform figure, but never played one for even five minutes, what sets this series apart from other 8/16-bit era platformers?  I know it had a lot of games in the franchise.  I'm legit asking, this is a type of project I support existing, but I need a personal reason (something new to me) to make me want to pay to buy it.

1 hour ago, RH said:

As someone who has seen Alex Kidd as a platform figure, but never played one for even five minutes, what sets this series apart from other 8/16-bit era platformers?  I know it had a lot of games in the franchise.  I'm legit asking, this is a type of project I support existing, but I need a personal reason (something new to me) to make me want to pay to buy it.

For a lengthy period in the 8-bit era, Alex Kidd was basically the mascot for Sega. There was a simple charm similar in a way to Mario for the NES, that other gaming characters tried but failed. I’m guessing likely due to most other platforming characters back then were mainly animal with attitudes, whereas Alex (like Mario) kept his mouth shut and let the gameplay itself do the main talking.

Regarding the gameplay, Miracle World was probably the best out of the entire franchise. Generally a well polished game with great graphics, sounds and gameplay for its time. There is also the added depth of swimming, riding bikes and helicopters which made it feel even more special and felt like an evolutionary step from other  platformers that came before it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ehh I think it's a toss up between Miracle World and Shinobi World as that later title was handled just so well.

I hope it's true the MW developers regretted the lame boss non-fights and the choice is in the remaster then I'm entirely on board.

Shinobi World was probably the better game, whilst Miracle World probably had the biggest impact, being one of the first must-have platformers on the SMS.

The boss non-fights is an interesting one. Personally, I didn’t mind it too much back then and it gives it a bit of a unique charm to the whole gaming experience. What would be nice would be if they gave 2 options - original boss rock-paper-scissors and an all new boss mode with typical platforming battles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GPX said:

Shinobi World was probably the better game, whilst Miracle World probably had the biggest impact, being one of the first must-have platformers on the SMS.

The boss non-fights is an interesting one. Personally, I didn’t mind it too much back then and it gives it a bit of a unique charm to the whole gaming experience. What would be nice would be if they gave 2 options - original boss rock-paper-scissors and an all new boss mode with typical platforming battles.

I like that idea, well both.  Shinobi has it in style and substance, but MW has it in impact being what it is when it was.  I still have access to it with that closed GG+SMS handheld with 30 games as it's one of them.

And I'd be all over having a CHOICE in game (asking in a way) or pre-game in the options panel to have the hand game or the battle game for a boss fight.