IGNORED

People who document everything, what are you using to save all these pictures and info?

Just for example @ThePhleo! For the people who can bring up images of every known NWC on command or some obscure foreign variant, how are you saving and organizing these images and information? I guess I can just put image cells into Google Sheets, but want to know if there's some better way.

I tried to find a picture of an old prototype Steel Battalion controller yesterday to show someone and couldn't easy find it on Google Images, so I need to start documenting stuff I'm interested in better personally.

I don't document nearly as much stuff as some of the other members here, but when I do, it's almost always in Excel.  My entire collection is tracked in Excel, and I also use Excel for all of my PS1 data.  

As far as pictures go, it's all saved on my computer which I backup monthly.  I use Mediafire to share pictures.  I think it's one of the better free picture sharing sites.  

I might try to use Datacrow, which looks like the best customizable collection database thing. I don't need any crappy pre-made games database so all the apps like Collectorz would be useless for me (also, really that's entirely subscription based now?). I really don't like putting images into spreadsheets for whatever reason so I'd like some kind of real database.

Edited by DefaultGen

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I might try to use Datacrow, which looks like the best customizable collection database thing. I don't need any crappy pre-made games database so all the apps like Collectorz would be useless for me (also, really that's entirely subscription based now?). I really don't like putting images into spreadsheets for whatever reason so I'd like some kind of real database.

Have you looked at https://www.vgcollect.com

Users can add new items to the database, add descriptions and pictures to existing items (All additions must be approved by a mod before it goes live), it has a place for notes, a wishlist, a sell list, I personally like the interface and there are a couple you can choose from. It even has a discussion forum.

Here is a sample of someone's collection: https://www.vgcollect.com/scott

22 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Have you looked at https://www.vgcollect.com

Users can add new items to the database, add descriptions and pictures to existing items (All additions must be approved by a mod before it goes live), it has a place for notes, a wishlist, a sell list, I personally like the interface and there are a couple you can choose from. It even has a discussion forum.

Here is a sample of someone's collection: https://www.vgcollect.com/scott

Yeah, I don't want to deal with mod approvals and shoehorning things like variants into a platform that's mostly meant to track individual games by titling it "10 Yard Fight (3-Screw)". I used to use RFGeneration back in the day, but ultimately always had problems with all of the lists.

Every time I see some obscure foreign variant I've never heard of, I want to be able to quickly add it to my obscure foreign variant list of my database with minimal fuss. Or even just something like all the NES Castlevania variants. I currently either store stuff like that in my brain, or reference an old NintendoAge thread I know is still kicking around. I'm relying too much on failing institutions (namely memory and NintendoAge) so I need to do better.

OK, So here's how my hard drive archive works.

I primarily archive NES, followed by SNES, Game Boy, and Nintendo 64, and then I dabble and try to archive oddities around the rest of the hobby from Magnavox Odyssey, to Xbox One.

My NES folder is structured something like the below. Keep in mind, it's not fully comprehensive but it is set up to be expandable. There are various excel spreadsheets scattered within these folders for whenever I need a list made.

I also learned to navigate these lists in a manner than I can just open them all up and compile any list I need in a single sitting. When I discover a list I CANT make in this way, I'll spend a weekend trying to figure it out and add data to my database.

It's not elegant...but it works for me until I give the money I need to make it searchable on the web.

NES

• !! Undisclosed

• !! NWC Stuff

• Famicom

• Famicom Disk System

• North America

• USA

• !! Oddities !!

• Accessories

• Games

• !! List.xlsx

• 3-D World Runner

• Boxes

• Hangtab

• front.jpg

• back.jpg

• left.jpg

• right.jpg

• bottom.jpg

• top.jpg

• flaps.jpg

• compilation.jpg

• Raw Images

• No Hangtab

• etc.

• Manuals

• Cartridges

• Boards

• Inserts

• 8 Eyes

• 10-Yard Fight

• 650+ others

• Zen the Intergalactic Ninja

• Zombie Nation

• Hardware

• Publications

• Retail

• Videos

• Canada

• PAL A

• PAL B

• ZZZ-Others

• Asia

• Comboy

• Hong Kong

• Playtronic

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2

Also, I need to add that some folders might be completely empty since they're common enough that I don't have to "worry" about archiving them and wasting time. So for example, I probably have nothing other than a text file in "Sesame Street ABC" folder that says "has Oval TM and Oval R variant" and nothing else.

I do a few things depending.  For over 20 years I've maintained a game inventory file, rooted in a DOS TXT file eventually a basic frame aligned setup HTML site for many years now.  This I use for all my gaming stuff, also a few of my toy collection things too.

Yet beyond that, I've visually archived some of it with photos, originally sat for years on photobucket before they blocked public viewing of things a few years back and it was trouble but the least obnoxious is flickr so it sits there now.  Take for instance my G1 Transformers of which I have over 70 of them.  I take pictures of them with all their accessories/manuals and boxes in a series of images of which each one has one of their forms.  Since most just did 2 I'd flip the paper/boxes/accessories to their opposite sides.  Solid to archive the shape of the stuff, but also helps to not feel the need to transform aging fragile old toys that could crack from stress.  Then again I also have photographed the NeoGeo arcade cabinet I have, it's board, the various carts and partial to complete kits along with a stack of just the carts on the whole.  I also have a couple of very cherry sealed old games, images taken of all sides of those there as well.

As far as the text bits go, see for yourself: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

and the images here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/22443064@N08/albums

It works for me so I stick with it...and in case of a computer fail, it's online.

Yeah, I am definitely not using nested directories full of .jpgs and .xlsx files, that sounds like a nightmare! I've looked at so much spreadsheet, database, and collecting software this week and nothing really crosses the gap between the speed and UI of updating a spreadsheet with the power of a relational database. This just isn't something regular people need to do I guess, because anything that looks like the database software I want is like an entire development platform for business apps like Filemaker Pro or Zoho Creator. Open source stuff all has terrible UIs or bugs (especially with Windows) and regular-price paid software apparently just doesn't exist anymore. AirTable is basically perfect, but I'm not paying monthly to keep fancy lists of video games.

Oh well, at the end of the day I guess I'm gonna start updating and sticking linked images into my Google Sheets.

Edited by DefaultGen

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

@ThePhleo I think the only real question on everybody's lips is... WHAT'S IN THE UNDISCLOSED FOLDER TELL US NOW!!!!! 🤯

Just stuff I begged people for information and documentation for, and in return they asked me not to share it until they decide to.

Some rare paper, games, hardware, and other goodies like that. Most recently a previously undisclosed NWC was in there. when the owner posted it on Instagram I moved it to the regular folder.

It’s not a super deep folder either. So I’m not quite qualified yet for the game collecting Illuminati yet.

Also, I’ve deleted a few things that go against my ethics. Something that would have added a LOT of value to NWC, Campus Challenge SNES, and PowerFest cartridges...I kept a pretty decent record of ownership up to a point. But at some point it became too unwieldy and a lot of it was without consent so I decided against keeping that information anymore.

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You know me too, data is meant to be documented first, then shared after you've grabbed what you want yourself 😉

I believe data is meant to be shared as well. But I also believe there’s some data that can never be acquired without securing and assuring the trust and interest of other collectors.

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Yeah, I am definitely not using nested directories full of .jpgs and .xlsx files, that sounds like a nightmare! I've looked at so much spreadsheet, database, and collecting software this week and nothing really crosses the gap between the speed and UI of updating a spreadsheet with the power of a relational database. This just isn't something regular people need to do I guess, because anything that looks like the database software I want is like an entire development platform for business apps like Filemaker Pro or Zoho Creator. Open source stuff all has terrible UIs or bugs (especially with Windows) and regular-price paid software apparently just doesn't exist anymore. AirTable is basically perfect, but I'm not paying monthly to keep fancy lists of video games.

Oh well, at the end of the day I guess I'm gonna start updating and sticking linked images into my Google Sheets.

The nested directory keeps everything where it needs to be.

But then there are master spreadsheets in the top level folder which basically tells me where to find everything I need.

If I want to figure out which games have 5 screw variants I don’t look through 677 folders of cartridges! Instead I just click the “list of 5 screw cartridges” spreadsheet.

the folders only act as proof my lists are accurate, and serve as a handy way to also serve images in an instant instead of memorizing where they are on the web.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Just stuff I begged people for information and documentation for, and in return they asked me not to share it until they decide to.

Some rare paper, games, hardware, and other goodies like that. Most recently a previously undisclosed NWC was in there. when the owner posted it on Instagram I moved it to the regular folder.

It’s not a super deep folder either. So I’m not quite qualified yet for the game collecting Illuminati yet.

Also, I’ve deleted a few things that go against my ethics. Something that would have added a LOT of value to NWC, Campus Challenge SNES, and PowerFest cartridges...I kept a pretty decent record of ownership up to a point. But at some point it became too unwieldy and a lot of it was without consent so I decided against keeping that information anymore.

I believe data is meant to be shared as well. But I also believe there’s some data that can never be acquired without securing and assuring the trust and interest of other collectors.

It was a bit of a joke, @OptOut and I are great friends IRL, but we are always at odds about sharing information. I take a middle ground, I generally will share it after obtaining what I'm trying to get, whereas he prefers to share information right out of the gate, which from my experience, just leads to higher prices and increased competition / frustrations. So if I'm creating a list and he contributes, he always makes me promise to share the information publically 😉

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Some database admin just had an aneurysm

I gave someone $1000 to try and convert my archive to a database like two years ago and they ended up giving me half the money back.

Said it’s easier and cheaper to start from scratch....

One day though...one day.

• Haha 1

Okay, here's what I do. 

I'll put pictures in folders, sorted by types (Famicom, Sega MD, etc). In each of those folders I have more folders, divided by types (licensed games, indie, game hacks, etc). Then I have folders in those, divided by company, in which I have the pictures.

I also have a folder containing lists of games, either in excel or on plain text files.

It's not pretty, but my archives are extensive.