IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 3 vs Super Mario World: The Final Showdown

LaytToTheParty

Super Mario Bros. 3 vs Super Mario World: The Final Showdown  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which game do you think is better/enjoy more?

• Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Super Mario World
    • They're both equally great. Hotel Mario takes the cake

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 AM

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Plus it can save.

This was honestly a huge deal for me. Not so much because it no longer had to be done in one sitting, but moreso for the fact that it completely changed the kind of game it was. All previous Mario games were just about getting to the end of each level, and ultimately to beat the final castle. Mario World became more about exploration and hunting down secrets. The ability to save meant you could explore the world at your own pace and I loved having the ability to travel anywhere on the map and replay previous levels. For me, it was a literal game-changer.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

This was honestly a huge deal for me. Not so much because it no longer had to be done in one sitting, but moreso for the fact that it completely changed the kind of game it was. All previous Mario games were just about getting to the end of each level, and ultimately to beat the final castle. Mario World became more about exploration and hunting down secrets. The ability to save meant you could explore the world at your own pace and I loved having the ability to travel anywhere on the map and replay previous levels. For me, it was a literal game-changer.

I have to give you props for a strong argument here, although still not enough to sway me.

World just feels way more polished to me, and it certainly has less bs than SMB3. That does make it easier, which I think goes in 3's favor, but to me SMW is just the more enjoyable game. Plus saving.

SMB3 definitely gets a medal for originality tho, World felt more like a rehash of SMB3, which I think was one of the reasons the Genesis had a commanding lead for so long. Earlier release, and many at the time just saw World as another Mario game, whereas Sonic was new, had style, and was way more fluid (not to mention faster).

World was amazing. Truly an excellent game chock full of amazing features. Secrets within secrets. The first time I got to, the actual Special World (with the crazy levels like tubular and whatnot) I was blown away. Then beating it and having the main game change was another level of awesome (yes I know SMB 1 replaces many turtles with beetles upon completion).

Still, despite all this, I feel like SMB 3 just has something that World didn't capture despite adding so much extra. The different worlds that just had so much style and personality compared to SMW. The mini games, the different suits, some of which we've never seen again, the different world map obstacles, the item system. The sheer amount of 1 off gameplay mechanics as well as all the great secrets just make me have to give it to SMB 3. Really 2 masterpieces of video game history that make it so hard to choose. It's like having to choose between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Both are just ridiculous.