IGNORED

any new PS2 upscaling options?

ErickRPG

And I don't want something bulky like OSSC.  I tried that, looked sharp.  But I am going the less bulk route.  I use component and it looks not terrible.  But when you compare it to Super NT or Sega MG with those super sharp pixels, it does look bad in comparison.  Are there any new fangled contraptions that can help, even if a little?

Not yet, unfortunately. The next logical step for the PS2 would be an internal HDMI-out mod. But it hasn't come to pass yet. The OG Xbox is getting one soon though. 

Subscribe to and bookmark websites and YouTube channels like RetroRGB and My Life in Gaming for constant updates on any such projects. You won't regret it.

P.S. there are crappy HDMI cable solutions, like the Pound or Hyperkin HDMI cables, but these are just really bad upscalers.

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I was sorely disappointed w/ my bc compat PS3; no Guitar Hero.

Is that because of the lack of the controller port, or is the game itself incompatible?  If it's the controller port, they make adapters that allow you to plug PS2 controllers into the USB ports on the PS3.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

Is that because of the lack of the controller port, or is the game itself incompatible?  If it's the controller port, they make adapters that allow you to plug PS2 controllers into the USB ports on the PS3.  

One of the updates killed those (pretty close in time to the one that killed the Linux ability).   My wife has a nicer PS2 DDR pad and the adapter stopped working, and then found out that specific update knocked out most third party adapter support.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I had an adapter, and it didn't work as expected. The controls don't work the same on PS3; some buttons simply wholesale do nothing at all, making it unplayable. 

Also, there is input lag on PS2 games on a BC PS3. I play PS games regularly, Sony has been my go-to for a number of generations, and I was very disappointed with their BC PS3 functionality.

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

One of the updates killed those (pretty close in time to the one that killed the Linux ability).   My wife has a nicer PS2 DDR pad and the adapter stopped working, and then found out that specific update knocked out most third party adapter support.

I do remember that now that you mention it.  Did that include the adapters that allowed you to transfer your PS1/2 memory card data to the PS3?

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I had an adapter, and it didn't work as expected. The controls don't work the same on PS3; some buttons simply wholesale do nothing at all, making it unplayable. 

Also, there is input lag on PS2 games on a BC PS3. I play PS games regularly, Sony has been my go-to for a number of generations, and I was very disappointed with their BC PS3 functionality.

Do you have the 20 or 60 GB BC PS3 (with the Emotion Engine) or the 80 GB "BC" PS3 (via software emulation)?   I've never noticed PS2 lag and I have a 60GB.

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I do remember that now that you mention it.  Did that include the adapters that allowed you to transfer your PS1/2 memory card data to the PS3?

No, since that was an official Sony product.   Might have whacked third party ones if they existed.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I definitely agree that the PS3 BC was disappointing.  Although it's still worth mentioning that a lot of people hated on Sony for that despite the fact that BC has not been the norm throughout the history of the gaming industry.  Sure there are many examples of it, but it's still not that common.  I think we were all just spoiled by the extremely good BC from the PS2.  

On 2/26/2020 at 5:45 AM, ErickRPG said:

And I don't want something bulky like OSSC.  I tried that, looked sharp.  But I am going the less bulk route.  I use component and it looks not terrible.  But when you compare it to Super NT or Sega MG with those super sharp pixels, it does look bad in comparison.  Are there any new fangled contraptions that can help, even if a little?

Personally, I run my ps2 with component cables on my playstation 3d tv and ps1 and ps2 games look fine.

I feel like having that additional tv is easier than trying to upscale and I can always hook up my wii, mega, sg super nt, ps3.

4 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

I currently have the official sony component cables and they do a fine job.  But I want more, lol.  The best option would be if PS5 can play PS2 games.

I hope so too. 

Ideally, the PS5 would be backwards compatible with all Sony disc based games.

Realistically, it will probably be backwards compatible with digital versions of the games which you will have to re-buy (for PS1 through PS3)  PS4 discs will probably work.

Maybe, just maybe, we will get lucky and meet halfway in the middle, where you can play backwards compatible digital versions, but they are free if you can insert the original disc in the system.

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Did you change the display settings in the game to 1080i? It isn't enough to just plug in the cables,  you have to go into the settings and change it manually. Otherwise it'll still just output 480i over component.

I played Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i on a projector and it looked great.

I'll check but I thought you had to otherwise it just wouldn't display.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Did you change the display settings in the game to 1080i? It isn't enough to just plug in the cables,  you have to go into the settings and change it manually. Otherwise it'll still just output 480i over component.

I played Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i on a projector and it looked great.

which game?  I'm sure not all games have that option.

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I hope so too. 

Ideally, the PS5 would be backwards compatible with all Sony disc based games.

Realistically, it will probably be backwards compatible with digital versions of the games which you will have to re-buy (for PS1 through PS3)  PS4 discs will probably work.

Maybe, just maybe, we will get lucky and meet halfway in the middle, where you can play backwards compatible digital versions, but they are free if you can insert the original disc in the system.

Like the 360 and Xbox One?