IGNORED

Ignore Topic & Ignore Forum

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

Customizing the way you view the forum as an individual has always been important to me (I literally make my own personal Google Chrome extensions for most of  the sites I frequent to customize how they look and behave). With that spirit in mind, we're continuing to add features to let you choose what you can see and how you see it, and today that comes in the form of the ability to just straight up ignore stuff.

image.png

image.png

I'm gonna... switch around the buttons. Looks kinda odd having them in different order for forum vs threads.

Anywho, if you go into a forum, you should now see a nice big red button which lets you ignore the ENTIRE FORUM. This will make it so ANY threads within this forum will NO LONGER SHOW UP for you in your activity feed, in your searches, or even AT ALL while browsing the forum. It'll be wholesale GONE for you. Same with Topics/threads.

Are you a homebrewer that really only cares about that section of the site and NOTHING ELSE!?!? Well, I'm kinda sad about it, but hey feel free to ignore every other section of the site and BOOM - now you'll only ever see stuff you're actually interested in. Same w/ the collectors and the players - really customize to your liking. Sick of seeing political posts? Ignore em!

OH NO! I accidentally Ignored a forum/thread and now it's GONE! How do I get it back!?!?

Simple! Head over to your Account Settings, and you will see options for the topics and forums that you've ignored:

image.png

As you can see above, I am ignoring Suggestions & Feedback. Typical!

Luckily, I can click on the "Stop Ignoring" button to see all your lovely comments about the site not working or whatever. Great.

One caveat - You are not able to Ignore the Announcements section of the site. It's important that we be able to communicate with you all when the need arises, so no ignoring that, ok? (Also, the Staff can't ignore the Staff section! Get back to work!)

I hope this helps you to keep using the site in a way that suits your needs! Thanks again for your continued support!

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Neat feature but it’s super intrusive on mobile, any way to tone this down to something way smaller? Also just make the politics thread a club  

B9D5684C-B0B8-4B7A-AF82-6908016BEFE8.jpeg

Yeah I'll probably make the button less ginormous, as-is was just the sorta default, fastest way to get it done. 

It wasn't just the politics thread which prompted this, but as for making it a club, I believe that was already discussed by the staff and decided against. 

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, fox said:

Maybe have a green “Follow This Topic” button too instead instead of the generic placeholder one?

I kind of forget the follow option is there since it just blends into the background XD

I'll be going over the site with a fine-toothed comb with some other folks to improve the UX a bit and make it more our own, and that's good feedback on that front; noted!

Administrator · Posted

As I say, this is just a nice added feature. Nobody messaged me asking to be able to ignore the politics thread or anything like that, I just felt like working on the site and it was on my todo list of things to add. If you wanna filter out politics specifically that's cool. Truth be told, the original inspiration according to my notes was someone said they wanted to only see the Homebrew section of the site because they don't care about people collecting games and how much they sell for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

As I say, this is just a nice added feature. Nobody messaged me asking to be able to ignore the politics thread or anything like that, I just felt like working on the site and it was on my todo list of things to add. If you wanna filter out politics specifically that's cool. Truth be told, the original inspiration according to my notes was someone said they wanted to only see the Homebrew section of the site because they don't care about people collecting games and how much they sell for.

Excellent work! 

Hopefully you won’t just vanish in a few years and we then start seeing things like...

WATA 9.6 A+ Gloves collection pedigree 

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Splain said:

Thanks Gloves!

This isn't a big deal or nuthin, but you say that an ignored thread won't be visible "AT ALL while browsing the forum. It'll be wholesale GONE for you." But I still see ignored threads previewed on the Latest Posts feed on the front page.

Well in that case I am a dirty liar.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, Splain said:

Thanks Gloves!

This isn't a big deal or nuthin, but you say that an ignored thread won't be visible "AT ALL while browsing the forum. It'll be wholesale GONE for you." But I still see ignored threads previewed on the Latest Posts feed on the front page.

I just noticed that my ignored topics are showing up on the front page from my desktop.  The ignored topics do not display from mobile though.  Looks to be a desktop version only issue from my end.  Hopefully that helps narrow down the issue for @Gloves and others.

Edited by zeppelin03

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I just noticed that my ignored topics are showing up on the front page from my desktop.  The ignored topics do not display from mobile though.  Looks to be a desktop version only issue from my end.  Hopefully that helps narrow down the issue for @Gloves and others.

Interesting; thanks. 

It may be something to do with that specific widget. 

I don't suppose you could give me a screencap with the offending topic circled so I can investigate?