IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

24 minutes ago, Link said:

No. The ownership is religious people. They are influenced by religion (closed on Sunday specifically to facilitate churchgoing.

I don’t have a problem with any of that on its face btw. If that was as far as it went, I would not be unwilling to give them a try.

Would it actually happen, who knows. I have a very long list already of fast and casual restaurants to go to for the first or second time, and it’s rare for me to eat food not cooked at home in normal times — not at all during the pandemic.

As it stands, I have no reason to patronize bigots, and that is what they have shown themselves to be, unlike another retailer that made a mistake one time and corrected it — quickly, unlike CFA.

You do know you can go to church on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday right?

20 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I will say that the same mentality makes me second guess being extra Christian in public. As a very progressive minded Christian, I find it safer to keep my relationship with Jesus private rather than risk being lumped in and blanketed with the image of some right wing hardliner. 

Well said. You have to hide who you truly are. God forbid you're religious and actually announce that to people *gasp*. The horrors. It actually often does have negative consequences of people assuming your ideologies simply because you're religious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhino said:

They are different but they're both forms of discrimination.

So let me get this right. Choosing not to buy a chicken sandwich from a shop, because the owner of the shop, donated to organizations who discriminated against people because of their sexuality.... is discrimination?

Sorry, but it just isn't man. 

3 minutes ago, Rhino said:

You can't pick and choose discrimination

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Deciding to do or not do something because of one's religion, race, sexual orientation, gender, age, etc is discrimination.

But in this scenario, they did not choose to not eat there because of the owner's religion. They chose to not eat there because he donated funds to organizations that DO discriminate. There's a huge difference. It's not discrimination.

4 minutes ago, Rhino said:

When did cops get brought up?

When you said not buying a chicken sandwich is the same thing as racism.

You really think @Link boycotts every shop that a Christian owns/works at? IDK, maybe he does, but I doubt it.

It's not about the religion. It's about the actions of the company/owner/etc. If those discriminatory acts (donating to anti-lgbtq+ orgs) are caused by his religion, that's too bad. But it's not discrimination to choose not to eat there as a result. Actions have consequences.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Rhino said:

They are different but they're both forms of discrimination. You can't pick and choose discrimination. Deciding to do or not do something because of one's religion, race, sexual orientation, gender, age, etc is discrimination.

Y'know, I've just been staying out of this debate for awhile now because frankly it's been pretty damn dumb from the get-go (as has this thread as a whole, but that's neither here nor there) but I just want to quickly interject to say that Link never did actually say he wasn't supporting CFA specifically because they're a religious organization. He said that they didn't need his support because they're already hugely successful, one of those reasons for success being that they're a religious organization, and his actual reasons for not supporting them are completely different regardless, as Cody pointed out. You took one short sentence he said and not only took it out of context, but extrapolated meaning out of it that wasn't even there to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I‘m gonna just come clean.  I really don’t like breaded chicken very much.  I like my chicken grilled.  Chicken sandwiches with breaded are too heavy and overpowered by the breading.  

What we should really be debating is Taco places.  Mmm 🌮 

Mmmmm, I prefer my breaded chicken as ji pai, so delicious

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

So let me get this right. Choosing not to buy a chicken sandwich from a shop, because the owner of the shop, donated to organizations who discriminated against people because of their sexuality.... is discrimination?

Sorry, but it just isn't man. 

Agreed.

But in this scenario, they did not choose to not eat there because of the owner's religion. They chose to not eat there because he donated funds to organizations that DO discriminate. There's a huge difference. It's not discrimination.

When you said not buying a chicken sandwich is the same thing as racism.

You really think @Link boycotts every shop that a Christian owns/works at? IDK, maybe he does, but I doubt it.

It's not about the religion. It's about the actions of the company/owner/etc. If those discriminatory acts (donating to anti-lgbtq+ orgs) are caused by his religion, that's too bad. But it's not discrimination to choose not to eat there as a result. Actions have consequences.

He's discriminating because the reason he doesn't support CFA isn't because the CEO donated to organizations against the lgbtq+ community; he's discriminating because he doesn't support CFA since he says they're a religious organization. 

Not what I said. Try harder to troll and stop putting words in my mouth. 

He is discriminating. Idk how else to explain to you what discrimination is. If he said he wouldn't eat there because CFA donated to an anti lgbtq+ organization, then that's not discrimination, but that's not what he said.

• Wow! 1

25 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I will say that the same mentality makes me second guess being extra Christian in public. 

How do you be "extra Christian" in public? I am not sure what you mean by this so please provide some examples.

If I were to assume, I'd guess a few things... like wearing religious symbolism or praying in public? I can't think of any other example here.

26 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I find it safer to keep my relationship with Jesus private

My personal opinion is that a person's religion should be a private issue but that's just me. But if someone wants to pray in public or something it's not gonna bother me.

27 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

rather than risk being lumped in and blanketed with the image of some right wing hardliner. 

It's a shame but I do see your point. When you get right wing racist nutjobs like out there saying they do the work of god and "talk to god", etc, it puts a real negative spin on being religious. Just the same with atheists who shove atheism down others people's throats. It's incredibly annoying and give other atheists a bad name.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Are you denying the reason they are closed on Sunday's is due to the founder's religious beliefs? See the article I quoted above.

Not denying it. Simply pointing out that the reason why they close on Sunday might not be to boost church attendance. It could simply be because they don't want employees to work on the Sabbath. Troll harder next time. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rhino said:

He is discriminating. Idk how else to explain to you what discrimination is. If he said he wouldn't eat there because CFA donated to an anti lgbtq+ organization, then that's not discrimination, but that's not what he said.

lol more semantics discussion. gotta love it. 

It's not discrimination. I don't know how else to explain to you that it's not. Find ONE OTHER PERSON who agrees with you about this, in this thread or anywhere else in the world. I challenge you to do this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I will say that the same mentality makes me second guess being extra Christian in public. As a very progressive minded Christian, I find it safer to keep my relationship with Jesus private rather than risk being lumped in and blanketed with the image of some right wing hardliner. 

I’m sorry that peoples’ reactions to some of your bretheren, and the blanket statements that follow, cause you stress, make a problem, whatever it is. I was raised going to a Unitarian Universalist church and taught to respect all religions. We got lessons from all of them both in youth class and in sermons. One day we had a guest speaker, an atheist. He was very vehement and negative on anything related to God, and that is not what my church wanted to hear. Many in the congregation came from more denominational faiths and still believed in God and prayed. This is not extremely rare among UUs.

Not that you should hide, but religion is kind of supposed to be a private thing, imo. Not the fact of it, but overt demonstration. Like the hardliners do. There would be less discord in this country if people had been quieter about the rules of their religion pertaining to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rhino said:

Not denying it. Simply pointing out that the reason why they close on Sunday might not be to boost church attendance. It could simply be because they don't want employees to work on the Sabbath. Troll harder next time. 

41 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

"Closing our business on Sunday, the Lord's Day, is our way of honoring God and showing our loyalty to Him,"

It's not about boosting church attendance or the employees. It's right there in black and white. If showing you a fact is trolling, then I'm a troll, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Rhino said:

He's discriminating because the reason he doesn't support CFA isn't because the CEO donated to organizations against the lgbtq+ community; he's discriminating because he doesn't support CFA since he says they're a religious organization.

Not even slightly true, refer to my post above. The exact inverse of what you said here is true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

How do you be "extra Christian" in public? I am not sure what you mean by this so please provide some examples.

If I were to assume, I'd guess a few things... like wearing religious symbolism or praying in public? I can't think of any other example here.

My personal opinion is that a person's religion should be a private issue but that's just me. But if someone wants to pray in public or something it's not gonna bother me.

It's a shame but I do see your point. When you get right wing racist nutjobs like out there saying they do the work of god and "talk to god", etc, it puts a real negative spin on being religious. Just the same with atheists who shove atheism down others people's throats. It's incredibly annoying and give other atheists a bad name.

Basically, yes. Wearing symbolism and praying in public I feel would cause people this day in age to think of me like I am wearing a MAGA hat. It is a horribly divided country, and American politics makes me sick.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Y'know, I've just been staying out of this debate for awhile now because frankly it's been pretty damn dumb from the get-go (as has this thread as a whole, but that's neither here nor there) but I just want to quickly interject to say that Link never did actually say he wasn't supporting CFA specifically because they're a religious organization. He said that they didn't need his support because they're already hugely successful, one of those reasons for success being that they're a religious organization, and his actual reasons for not supporting them are completely different regardless, as Cody pointed out. You took one short sentence he said and not only took it out of context, but extrapolated meaning out of it that wasn't even there to begin with.

These are @Links direct quotes

"In any case, I don’t need to support a religious retailer"

then I said "you're against religious organizations"

then he said "....so what"

4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Basically, yes. Wearing symbolism and praying in public I feel would cause people this day in age to think of me like I am wearing a MAGA hat. It is a horribly divided country, and American politics makes me sick.

I'm sorry you are made to feel this way. It is a shame. I don't see it getting any better. I can't see any outcome to this election that moves towards a more united country. At this point I don't know what it is going to take. It won't be for decades or longer, I fear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Link said:

I’m sorry that peoples’ reactions to some of your bretheren, and the blanket statements that follow, cause you stress, make a problem, whatever it is. I was raised going to a Unitarian Universalist church and taught to respect all religions. We got lessons from all of them both in youth class and in sermons. One day we had a guest speaker, an atheist. He was very vehement and negative on anything related to God, and that is not what my church wanted to hear. Many in the congregation came from more denominational faiths and still believed in God and prayed. This is not extremely rare among UUs.

Not that you should hide, but religion is kind of supposed to be a private thing, imo. Not the fact of it, but overt demonstration. Like the hardliners do. There would be less discord in this country if people had been quieter about the rules of their religion pertaining to others.

Keeping our faith quiet makes it quite hard to find each other, no? I don't need to talk Jesus to everyone, or anyone in particular. I would love to be able to wear it though without risking being painted a certain way. The best I can do is live by his word, remember his teachings, and praise Him for the life I have been given.

• Like 2

Just now, Kguillemette said:

I would love to be able to wear it though without risking being painted a certain way.

First, this is not a reply to you, your experience, or anything you said. I am just using what you said to help explain my example.

You are (rightfully so) weary about showing your religion in public, due to possibly being treated differently by others. It's shitty and it shouldn't happen. So you downplay it, so that you avoid confrontation/issues that may arise.

Now imagine you are black and you have no choice but to be who you are in public. To have to go out knowing you are going to be treated differently because of the way you look. 

It fucking makes me sad.

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

First, this is not a reply to you, your experience, or anything you said. I am just using what you said to help explain my example.

You are (rightfully so) weary about showing your religion in public, due to possibly being treated differently by others. It's shitty and it shouldn't happen. So you downplay it, so that you avoid confrontation/issues that may arise.

Now imagine you are black and you have no choice but to be who you are in public. To have to go out knowing you are going to be treated differently because of the way you look. 

It fucking makes me sad.

Let's change the culture then. It can be done. Let's all stop f*cking discriminating and being racist towards one another. Let's be fair. Let's unite. UNITED States of America. 

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

It fucking makes me sad.

Same reason gay men would and do hide in the closet. You can hide being gay. You still are. Can't hide being black. One can avoid discrimination by pretending to be someone they are not and the other can not. Both situations are unfair. 

• Like 2