IGNORED

Run 'n gun/slash games with amazing level design?

Nintegageo

So last night was the 1st time I beat Contra. I think it is one those rare games that is enjoyable to replay the starting levels each time because it's action-oriented, super well-designed and you legitimately improve as you play. Ninja Gaiden was another game like that, although obviously sword rather than gun. Other than those two series', which games or series would you recommend on the NES that have the same play design and style as them?

Batman! He does have a spear gun for one of his weapons.

I really like the varied level design in the Famicom Wai Wai World games, though I haven't played much of the second one, where it auto scrolls. The first one was inventive where the Konami characters you rescue prove useful for certain areas.

3 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

So last night was the 1st time I beat Contra. I think it is one those rare games that is enjoyable to replay the starting levels each time because it's action-oriented, super well-designed and you legitimately improve as you play. Ninja Gaiden was another game like that, although obviously sword rather than gun. Other than those two series', which games or series would you recommend on the NES that have the same play design and style as them?

Someone should hack ninja gaiden to have guns and controls like Contra. Then I’d play it

I'm sure it is a little of a stretch on a run and gun, but Red Alert for the PCE CD is pretty fantastic run and gun overhead type, kind of like an SNK mixed with Commando style pop gun runner with some good variances between the levels, and a neat mini-rpg like leveling system that makes you as you go along more capable of using better firepower.