IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 10: Tetris

Red

Hello and welcome to the final round of the Game Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Tetris.  If you've never played before, don't worry!  It's pretty easy to learn.  Guide falling blocks to the bottom of the screen to create horizontal lines.  When a line is made without any gaps, all the blocks in the line will disappear.  Clear multiple lines at once to score big points.  Be careful!  The more lines you clear, the faster the blocks will fall.  If the blocks pile up to the top of the screen, it's Game Over!  How long will you last?

Rules:

-Choose Game Type A

-Start on any level you want

-Play until Game Over or you max out the score

-Highest Score Wins

-If you max out the score, immediately pause the game and take your picture.  If more than one participant maxes out the score, the participant who did it with the least amount of lines is the winner

-You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday,  February 9, 2020 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1468-game-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20192020/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 442,109 (arnpoly)
2. 323,414 (Splain)
3. 293,727 (mbd39)
4. 286,360 (0xDEAFC0DE)
5. 265,697 (bertsampson)
6. 232,805 (BriGuy82)
7. 162,895 (Philosoraptor)
8. 83,059 (Ausden)
9. 12,568 (ecmyers)

Edited by Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
On 2/3/2020 at 7:10 AM, mbd39 said:

The droughts are killer. Much like the NES version in this respect but it seems even worse.

Yes, the Game Boy randomizer is famously broken.
Another thing to keep in mind is that O pieces are more likely to show up than any other piece. This really goes for any version of Tetris, but still it's worth to keep in mind: ALWAYS have an opening for an O piece.

*mouth fart noises*

I wanna be that guy to say "meeeeeeh the Retron 5 and my HDTV held me back with its input lag and stuff," but I know that isn't the case. I subconsciously really like building unnecessary towers that require specific pieces to dig me out of, which is when the squares start dropping. 

GQJJHMD.jpg

12 hours ago, ecmyers said:

I've always been embarrassingly bad at Tetris. I don't think it's gonna get much better than this, so here's my participation score!

You got 60 lines, which is far from embarrassingly bad. I only got about 100 lines for my score of 162,000. The trick is to always go for tetrises, because those are worth several thousand points each, if not tens of thousands in later levels.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned