Jump to content
IGNORED

Another TheMexicanRunner? (Twitch/YouTube streamer close to beating NES library)


bronzeshield
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'd never heard of this streamer before, but it appears he's close to beating the entire licensed library à la TheMexicanRunner:

https://www.twitch.tv/newgongue

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jigwally/videos

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zKWPHCCFuS4JOR3kWdyWqReVSpv7WxL14mOJGuFKdVY/edit#gid=0

Is anyone else familiar with him? Is he a member of the community here, even? I haven't vetted his videos to confirm that he's not using cheats, etc.; I watched his Dragon's Lair video and he did use some pause abuse on the final boss. (So did TMR on Star Force, IIRC.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've followed each other on Twitter for awhile now and I just found out he was doing this.  He's pretty knowledgeable about random NES games which I why I followed in the first place.  I am confident he is the real deal, though I have not done any "vetting" of videos or anything like that.  I am shooting for the same goal so I'm trying my best to keep up with others doing the same thing.

9 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Only took 20 mins for "To the Earth"????

Specific to this game, I know he figured out the Game Genie code to skip straight to the last level to practice it.  A full playthrough lasts around 20 minutes, maybe that is what he means.  I spent about 20 hours (I think) playing this game over and over from the start before I beat it.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I know him from seeing his playthroughs on Youtube. He likes to use pause strats even for games that don't really need it.

I think using pause strats is fine and a legit strategy.  But it's not my style and I won't be doing it for any games I play.  Just personal taste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, y'all. I maintain a list of library completion projects like this, both active and abandoned, over at AtariAge:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265955-list-of-chronogaminglibrary-completion-projects-reviews-longplays-etc/

I hadn't heard of this one before, and am shocked that he's so close to finishing it with so little fanfare. By "vetting" I just meant that I haven't watched more than a couple of his videos -- though I did watch the Destination Earthstar one and, man, he cuts it close! -- and so I couldn't vouch for his methodology.

I do know of a couple of "beat the library" streamers who do things that might be questioned, especially with sports games, i.e. not playing the full game even if it has a definitive ending. (I haven't run into any that use cheat codes or savestates yet, though it wouldn't surprise me if they're out there.) So I just wanted to anticipate any objections of that kind.

I haven't made up my mind about pause strats, though I tried it on one of my Back to the Future runs the other day (the accursed DeLorean sequence) and, to be honest, it felt kinda icky. As it turned out, on the winning run, I didn't end up using it.

Actually the only game I can remember beating with pause strats is Sol-Feace for Sega CD when I beat it on Mania, in the last stage. Now I wish I hadn't used them, so I guess it's not for me (no judgment on anyone else, though). At least my wife didn't have to listen to me swearing at the game anymore, though. 🙂

BTW if anyone knows of any other projects not listed at the link above, don't hesitate to let me know. Beat-'em-all, review-'em-all, whatever the case may be, as long as the objective is clearly library completion of some sort.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've watched his videos (speedrun/youtube) to see how he gets through tough spots because he often uses the cheesiest available strategies LOL. He must have submitted a lot of his casual playthroughs as speedruns because I often go to the bottom of the Speedrun.com leaderboards just to see footage of "normal" people playing games.

Not hating on the accomplishment though. He's obviously legit.

Edited by DefaultGen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I've watched his videos (speedrun/youtube) to see how he gets through tough spots because he often uses the cheesiest available strategies LOL. He must have submitted a lot of his casual playthroughs as speedruns because I often go to the bottom of the Speedrun.com leaderboards just to see footage of "normal" people playing games.

Not hating on the accomplishment though. He's obviously legit.

Imagine having to cheese Elevator Action.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Count said:

Care to enlighten the uninitiated?

😄 Fair enough! Here you go:

In Levels 3 & 4 of Elevator Action, WashYourFace figured out that if you sit in a safe spot (far side of a wall) and wait out the enemies as they go more and more nuts trying to shoot you, the aggression counter will eventually roll over and they'll be as meek as kittens for a few minutes. Without that, Level 4 is a brutal, cheap nightmare.

TheMexicanRunner credits arnpoly with passing him this information and thereby saving NESMania:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KDNGI76HoMNyYLL6RqWu4PqUbw-lI920tf7QTclnLLE/edit#gid=0

Search on "Elevator Action" and you'll see his note in the rightmost column. 🙂

Oh, and also, he learned how to resurrect his loved ones, and then he made out with Natalie Portman but it actually turned out to be Keira Knightley's milkman, and then Drape killed Snumblepants the Grey, and him too. Or something like that, anyway.

(BTW when I looked at that spreadsheet earlier there were 5 other viewers! What are five people doing on the NESMania spreadsheet, this long after the fact? It's like when you have to take a car trip at 3am, and look askance at everyone else on the road at that hour...)

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

TheMexicanRunner credits arnpoly with passing him this information and thereby saving NESMania:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KDNGI76HoMNyYLL6RqWu4PqUbw-lI920tf7QTclnLLE/edit#gid=0

Search on "Elevator Action" and you'll see his note in the rightmost column. 🙂

It's on his site too: http://themexicanrunner.com/games/Elevator Action

Evidently it was the last review he wrote in the project.

I remember he had been playing for 8-10 hours and was really struggling before he asked for help, so I simply took the advice I picked up from this thread and passed it on.  I didn't realize I saved the whole project though, that's pretty neat.  😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arnpoly said:

It's on his site too: http://themexicanrunner.com/games/Elevator Action

Evidently it was the last review he wrote in the project.

I remember he had been playing for 8-10 hours and was really struggling before he asked for help, so I simply took the advice I picked up from this thread and passed it on.  I didn't realize I saved the whole project though, that's pretty neat.  😄

 

At least you prevented Elevator Action from being another huge  grind along the lines of Ikari Warriors. TMR is persistent enough so that he would have gotten there eventually.

Is EA on par with Ikari Warriors and Qbert when not using the cheese strats?  I never came close to beating it. But stage 4 must be especially bad considering TMR's reaction.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say Elevator Action is in that league, if only because it's so short. Stage 4 is really brutal, in terms of overwhelming/unfair AI behavior, but it's been completed before. I made it through Stage 3 on multiple occasions before I learned about the aggression trick; not sure how far I made it into Stage 4.

Edited by bronzeshield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Thanks, y'all. I maintain a list of library completion projects like this, both active and abandoned, over at AtariAge:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265955-list-of-chronogaminglibrary-completion-projects-reviews-longplays-etc/

I hadn't heard of this one before, and am shocked that he's so close to finishing it with so little fanfare. By "vetting" I just meant that I haven't watched more than a couple of his videos -- though I did watch the Destination Earthstar one and, man, he cuts it close! -- and so I couldn't vouch for his methodology.

I do know of a couple of "beat the library" streamers who do things that might be questioned, especially with sports games, i.e. not playing the full game even if it has a definitive ending. (I haven't run into any that use cheat codes or savestates yet, though it wouldn't surprise me if they're out there.) So I just wanted to anticipate any objections of that kind.

I haven't made up my mind about pause strats, though I tried it on one of my Back to the Future runs the other day (the accursed DeLorean sequence) and, to be honest, it felt kinda icky. As it turned out, on the winning run, I didn't end up using it.

Actually the only game I can remember beating with pause strats is Sol-Feace for Sega CD when I beat it on Mania, in the last stage. Now I wish I hadn't used them, so I guess it's not for me (no judgment on anyone else, though). At least my wife didn't have to listen to me swearing at the game anymore, though. 🙂

BTW if anyone knows of any other projects not listed at the link above, don't hesitate to let me know. Beat-'em-all, review-'em-all, whatever the case may be, as long as the objective is clearly library completion of some sort.

https://questicle.net/

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
misquoted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Thanks! I had it listed under Sega Does, but didn't realize he'd started up again with Famicom games. I'll move Questicle up to the heading level.

I remember the guy behind both sites had a kind of religious/moral crisis about playing games he didn't own -- I wonder how he resolved it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Is EA on par with Ikari Warriors and Qbert when not using the cheese strats?  I never came close to beating it. But stage 4 must be especially bad considering TMR's reaction.

 

3 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I wouldn't say Elevator Action is in that league, if only because it's so short. Stage 4 is really brutal, in terms of overwhelming/unfair AI behavior, but it's been completed before. I made it through Stage 3 on multiple occasions before I learned about the aggression trick; not sure how far I made it into Stage 4.

 

Though I don't have first-hand experience, I have to agree with bronzeshield.  Ikari Warriors and Q*bert are lengthy games, whereas I bet with Elevator Action you benefit from playing through it faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bronzeshield said:

Thanks! I had it listed under Sega Does, but didn't realize he'd started up again with Famicom games. I'll move Questicle up to the heading level.

I remember the guy behind both sites had a kind of religious/moral crisis about playing games he didn't own -- I wonder how he resolved it.

He did do every NES game at first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

He did do every NES game at first.

Right -- when I put my list together, Questicle was a completed project that wasn't being updated, so I just listed Sega Does in the heading and put Questicle in the description.

I hadn't seen that he started Questicle back up (in 2019, I guess?) with Famicom games instead of NES games -- though I have no idea how he'll get anywhere with it, since the Famicom library is immense. At least there are fan translations for just about everything through 1986 and some of 1987.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/15/2020 at 3:19 PM, DefaultGen said:

I've watched his videos (speedrun/youtube) to see how he gets through tough spots because he often uses the cheesiest available strategies LOL. He must have submitted a lot of his casual playthroughs as speedruns because I often go to the bottom of the Speedrun.com leaderboards just to see footage of "normal" people playing games.

Not hating on the accomplishment though. He's obviously legit.

For some reason, I always find cheesing though boss-battles really satisfying. Finding just the right spot on-screen to camp out and take down an enemy feels like outsmarting the game haha.

-CasualCart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

For some reason, I always find cheesing though boss-battles really satisfying. Finding just the right spot on-screen to camp out and take down an enemy feels like outsmarting the game haha.

-CasualCart

Have you ever played Startropics? You can just jump passed the first boss, it's great 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...