The ultimate GDQ question  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Save or Kill the Animals?

• Save
    • Kill

Didn't see a thread about this awesome marathon event elsewhere (minus a couple passing comments in other threads), so decided to make one because its great and needs to be talked about! Just like to point out I'm not and never have been involved with GDQ, just a big fan of it... though maybe someday I'll learn a game well enough and get on!

Those not in the know, Games Done Quick is a recurring Live Stream Marathon on Twitch over the course of a week that showcases a plethora of speedruns, raising money for Charity! The last "main" event (Summer Games Done Quick 2019) in July raised over 3 Million Dollars for Doctors Without Borders... which is pretty dang amazing.

They primarily run Semi-annually (AGDQ in January and SGDQ in July) though last couple years smaller events have taken place throughout the rest of the year.

Wikipedia page if you want to learn more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_Done_Quick

Twitch channel if you want to watch!

I haven't gotten to watch much of it yet this year but looking forward to the "Trash Block" (which, as name implies, is where the shitty games are speed ran... AVGN would be proud lol)

BTW Those not in the know about the poll... it's a reference to Super Metroid lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
Changing the thread title etc
  • Like 1

I watched what I could that I was interested in when it was live, but I'll watch the runs I missed on YouTube when they get posted. I really want to see that Punch-Out blindfolded run. It's amazing how they manage to beat their previous record in donations almost every year. I donate a little bit here and there.

• Like 1

I started watching GDQ a few years ago and it's now my favorite time(s) of the year.  I'm not usually into speedrunning (more of a TAS watcher) but there's just something magical about this event.  It brings out all the best in gamers and it's a joy to watch.  All donations go straight to the charity, so I always chip in a little bit each time.

I'm still watching the GCQ 2020 runs on YT, but among the ones I've seen so far (live and YT) are:

Mushihime-sama Futari - Bullet hell shmup on Xbox 360.  I had to completely stop what I was doing and watch the whole run.  Fucking insane!

Clone Hero (Guitar Hero) - 95% fascinated to watch this guy tear up GH, 5% sad that he could have learned actual guitar in that time!

Ocarina of Time - Always love some Zelda.  The runner performs tricks that supposedly no one else on the planet can do.

YT is blocked at work so I can't provide links, but Games Done Quick is easy enough to find.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, glazball said:

Mushihime-sama Futari - Bullet hell shmup on Xbox 360.  I had to completely stop what I was doing and watch the whole run.  Fucking insane!

This is the only run I've seen this year, but I had to stay up super late just to catch it live. I'm so happy it played out like it did - there's so much that could have gone wrong. Big props to Gus for finally caving the way for shooters into these events, after all these years of the idea having been tossed around and continuously rejected.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Agreed, it was the first (non-run'n'gun) shmup I've seen on any GDQ - though of course I haven't seen every single run ever performed over the years.  One of the donors suggesting having a Cave block at the next GDQ and I hope that comes to pass.  Honestly I'd be happy with just more shmups in general, but I know how risky they are in a live marathon setting.  It would be incredible to watch though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glazball said:

Agreed, it was the first (non-run'n'gun) shmup I've seen on any GDQ - though of course I haven't seen every single run ever performed over the years.  One of the donors suggesting having a Cave block at the next GDQ and I hope that comes to pass.  Honestly I'd be happy with just more shmups in general, but I know how risky they are in a live marathon setting.  It would be incredible to watch though.

They had a Tasbot plays gradius on NES once that was pretty fun. Dont recall any RTA runs, but I havent seen everything either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumping this thread again to let everyone know Summer GDQ is ongoing right now through Sunday!  All donations this time go to Doctors Without Borders.

I'm particularly looking forward to DoDonPachi (on Saturday I think) which afaik will be on the 2nd time GDQ has approved a shmup in the lineup.  Edit: There are actually 3 shmups on Saturday, DoDonPachi being the last of the 3.  I just didn't recognize the first two (Touhou and Ketsui) when I first scanned the schedule.  Should be great to see!

Edited by glazball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Speedy_NES said:

Since there's some SGDQ fans here -- anyone know more about this cart's origin? I got this from a collector who got it from another collector, with no info on its origin. I didn't see it listed any of the sweepstake prize lists, so maybe a promo item? Thanks in advance for any help!

20200530_004739.jpg

20200530_004748.jpg

They have these for sale at the merch shop. It’s just a shell though, no game. Probably from an earlier year. 

edit: https://www.fangamer.com/collections/games-done-quick/products/sgdq-2020-limited-edition-nes-cartridge

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

They have these for sale at the merch shop. It’s just a shell though, no game. Probably from an earlier year. 

edit: https://www.fangamer.com/collections/games-done-quick/products/sgdq-2020-limited-edition-nes-cartridge

Cool, thanks a lot! Yeah, it's from 2017. Looks like these were sold each year then to support charity (could find fangamer links down to the 2018 version).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was a pretty solid run, some great games, glad to see it happen even though it was online only. Still watching back through it as I was working overtime pretty much all week (have been for months basically since March now but that's besides the point lol). Will say anyone looking for a place to start, Ars Technica has a pretty solid summary/collection of must watch runs https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/the-best-game-breaking-speedruns-of-summer-games-done-quick-2020/

On 8/18/2020 at 9:59 PM, a3quit4s said:

On 8/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, Speedy_NES said:

Cool, thanks a lot! Yeah, it's from 2017. Looks like these were sold each year then to support charity (could find fangamer links down to the 2018 version).

Was gonna say that looked like an old one from 2017. @Speedy_NES Though they are only cases you can insert a board into them and use them just like any NES cart, so it's pretty neat!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...