IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 6: Revenge of the 'Gator

Red

Hello and welcome to the sixth round of the Game Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Revenge of the 'Gator.  The 'Gator is back and hungry for revenge!  I'm not sure what you did to him to begin with, but you better watch out!  

Rules:

- Play until Game Over

-Highest score wins

-You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 12, 2020 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1468-game-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20192020/

Good luck and have fun!

Scoreboard:

1,854,740 (0xDEAFC0DE) +11
1,162,930 (acromite53) +10
1,106,570 (BriGuy82) +9
606,620 (koifish) +8
538,400 (Splain) +7
472,610 (arnpoly) +6
456,980 (Link) +5
375,010 (ecmyers) +4
341,330 (Ausden) +3

Edited by Red
  • Thanks 1

I was looking up high scores for this one and it seems the two highest on twin galaxies (1.6 and 1.4 million) took over an hour: https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/revenge-of-the-gator/game-boy-game-boy-color/points/

Although, the 500k speedrun is 11:10: https://www.speedrun.com/revenge_of_the_gator

[Old picture] 

I figured I would get things started. This was only slightly better than the run I posted in the GB completion thread. It started so promising though. In my first life I got ~740k and an extra life, but soon wasted my other three lives.

Fun fact: the sticker with cheat codes on the back of the cart has two codes to disable each of the flippers. Not sure why anyone would want to do that. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

[Old picture] 

Finally broke 1 million. The run went like this:

1. 200k
  2. 300k
  3. 700k + extra life
  4. 5k

So much for that extra life. This game is a nice change in pace from the last two games. Although these runs are starting to get pretty long. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

IMG_20200110_231857__01.thumb.jpg.22c0d6433f27cac198a5f2826c65003e.jpg

Sorry for the double post but I figured this was a decent sized improvement. It beats the "world record" score on twin galaxies. Here's the breakdown. 

1. 930k + extra life
  2. 20k
  3. 120k
  4. 780k

As always I had one useless life, but I had two pretty good ones this time. Also, I cleared the alligator on the top board twice on my first life for the first time. I read on the gamefaq guide that you only get one extra life, but if anyone's curious it adds one to you bonus multiplier same as getting three stars. 

I'm not sure how much more I'm going to be playing this since the runs are getting so long at this point. Unless of course someone beats me or at least is nipping at my heels. I see BriGuy just broke 1 million an hour ago (congrats), so maybe he'll force my hand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koifish said:

First and last submission, I am not very good at these kinds of games I think. 606820

bgb00052.bmp 67.55 kB · 0 downloads

Speaking of GBC pinball, @Splain, I think it would be pretty intense and epic to set Pokemon Pinball's clear conditions for GBC contest as "complete the pokedex'. Would probably take the whole year! 

Please remember to include your user name on a piece of paper when you take your picture.

Editorials Team · Posted

NlyX8v4.jpg

Edit: there, got the formatting fixed. I dumped everything while on mobile just in case I didn't get to a compy in time. Really wish I could have found some more time to play this one, I was starting to get the hang of things. I can appreciate how much more content there is in Kirby's Pinball Land, it gets a little dull going for those 3 tabs on the left side over and over; I can't imagine doing it for long enough to get almost 2M points.

6 hours ago, koifish said:

Speaking of GBC pinball, @Splain, I think it would be pretty intense and epic to set Pokemon Pinball's clear conditions for GBC contest as "complete the pokedex'. Would probably take the whole year!

Yikes, lol. Uh, "100% not required." I bet someone would go for it though, a lot of people really love that game.

Edited by Splain

• 3 years later...

Hi, 

I would like to participate in this challenge. Playing the game since 1991. Gave it a quick go and reached 1,400,000 points.

How can I prove it, Played on old 1998 Game Boy color. Thanks. Pretty sure I can reach 2,000,000 points.

:-)

1 hour ago, NDO said:

Hi, 

I would like to participate in this challenge. Playing the game since 1991. Gave it a quick go and reached 1,400,000 points.

How can I prove it, Played on old 1998 Game Boy color. Thanks. Pretty sure I can reach 2,000,000 points.

🙂

This contest was in January of 2020. But stick around, there's a contest on a different game every week (in season). Maybe more games you like will pop up. I only participate in certain ones when I have time, and I'll never place in the tournament but it's still fun. Welcome to the forum.

15 hours ago, NDO said:

Hi, 

🙂

As Link pointed out, this contest ended a while ago, but there's almost always some sort of competition going on here.  This week there's a Punch Out! competition here.  During the NES contest off-seasons, I've been running unofficial weekly contests, like this was a part of.

Also, although it's not very active, there is a thread to post your pinball game high scores here.

• Like 1

I thank both of you, I thank you also for your welcome, Link. Originally I was looking for the world record for revenge of the gator and found this page. I don't try to set a record in every game, but only in a few that I particularly like and play for a long time. Do you perhaps know a site where all world records are listed? Otherwise I only know the leaderboards, for example in racing games. Thanks red for the pinball link, I've been playing pinball for 40 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NDO said:

Do you perhaps know a site where all world records are listed? Otherwise I only know the leaderboards, for example in racing games. Thanks red for the pinball link, I've been playing pinball for 40 years.

Check out Twin Galaxies. They've been tracking records for as long as you've been playing.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:40 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

IMG_20200110_231857__01.thumb.jpg.22c0d6433f27cac198a5f2826c65003e.jpg

Sorry for the double post but I figured this was a decent sized improvement. It beats the "world record" score on twin galaxies. Here's the breakdown. 

1. 930k + extra life
  2. 20k
  3. 120k
  4. 780k

As always I had one useless life, but I had two pretty good ones this time. Also, I cleared the alligator on the top board twice on my first life for the first time. I read on the gamefaq guide that you only get one extra life, but if anyone's curious it adds one to you bonus multiplier same as getting three stars. 

I'm not sure how much more I'm going to be playing this since the runs are getting so long at this point. Unless of course someone beats me or at least is nipping at my heels. I see BriGuy just broke 1 million an hour ago (congrats), so maybe he'll force my hand. 

Lol, I find it a bit amusing that we play these competitions and I doubt many of us look to the high score WR leaderboards.  @NDO, Twin Galaxies is the de facto place for recording World Record  high scores and I even think that Guinness Book of World Records defaults to their judgements on WRs for their books when it comes to scoring.

Anyway, @0xDEAFC0DE, it looks like you have the world record for this game according to Twin Galaxies!  I think you have to submit video over there but in our book, you're trusted so unofficially, you're the leader in my book!

You're pretty good at reading the code for games and figuring out ways to "break' them for high scores.  Have you ever considered posting to TG for this type of stuff?

Twin Galaxies: Revenge of the Gator post: https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/revenge-of-the-gator/game-boy-game-boy-color

Twin Galaxies uses Video to verify a record. So am I supposed to record a 4 hr play of Gator? I guess a picture of an real Gameboy, not emulator should be enough. 😉

btw, can't believe 1,700,000 is a world record. The game is also about luck, so if you play one week you get to that pretty easy.

Edited by NDO

8 hours ago, NDO said:

Twin Galaxies uses Video to verify a record. So am I supposed to record a 4 hr play of Gator? I guess a picture of an real Gameboy, not emulator should be enough. 😉

btw, can't believe 1,700,000 is a world record. 

Answered in the first paragraph. Their proof requirements are likely a barrier or burden to some people who can do better. I can't even look at much on their website without an account.