IGNORED

So what exactly are the Baubles and Charms?

austin532

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I only use mobile and this post confused me greatly. No signatures. No baubles. I feel like a second-class citizen over here.

The approach for mobile web design is less is more. Can you imagine if every single post had a signature with a bunch of links and text and probably images, and then a bunch of little award icons below that? Mobile would feel incredibly cluttered. Desktop has the space, so desktop users get to see the extras. 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The approach for mobile web design is less is more. Can you imagine if every single post had a signature with a bunch of links and text and probably images, and then a bunch of little award icons below that? Mobile would feel incredibly cluttered. Desktop has the space, so desktop users get to see the extras. 

I refuse to accept this logical explanation!

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

Oh yeah. And to answer the actual OP question, they are as @acromite53 has said - badges/awards. 

We called them "Baubles and Charms" to keep with a kind of "fantasy" theme, what with the Sage and all.

The "Lol get it?" Charm is literally a sprig of sage, the herb.

More specifically...

Baubles - awards given out automagically for completing some "task" that the forum software can detect. Stuff like being a Subscriber, or getting a lot of posts/likes/etc..

Charms - awards that we hand out manually. Stuff like the sage award I've been haphazardly handing out, or more aptly for, say, winning an official contest or participating in an event.

Editorials Team · Posted

Feature request:

From my experience of being on NintendoAge since 2016 (so, missing most of it) I never really felt like a full member because of references to campouts, inner circles, and badges that looked like they were inside jokes. I was always a visitor, never one of the "real" NA members. So I think it might be wise (sagely, even) to keep absolutely everything out of the new Baubles and Charms that isn't immediately understandable to newcomers. Or at least very accessible with minimal digging. Just a request.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, Splain said:

Feature request:

From my experience of being on NintendoAge since 2016 (so, missing most of it) I never really felt like a full member because of references to campouts, inner circles, and badges that looked like they were inside jokes. I was always a visitor, never one of the "real" NA members. So I think it might be wise (sagely, even) to keep absolutely everything out of the new Baubles and Charms that isn't immediately understandable to newcomers. Or at least very accessible with minimal digging. Just a request.

We've got some features that NA was missing which will help alleviate this:

1. When you hover over an award it shows the name
  2. Direct link to all of the members' earned awards
  3. On the Baubles and Charms page for a user you can see the description, which will give detailed info on how they earned it
    1. The current awards lack these descriptions, but that's really just cuz I put them live at 4am and didn't quiiiite complete it; I just wanted to get it released so we can get the ball rolling

Editorials Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Gloves said:

We've got some features that NA was missing which will help alleviate this:

1. When you hover over an award it shows the name
  2. Direct link to all of the members' earned awards
  3. On the Baubles and Charms page for a user you can see the description, which will give detailed info on how they earned it
    1. The current awards lack these descriptions, but that's really just cuz I put them live at 4am and didn't quiiiite complete it; I just wanted to get it released so we can get the ball rolling

Sounds awesome, thanks Gloves.

5 hours ago, ALTQQ said:

Maybe make it viewable in profiles on mobile? A lot of ppl use mobile devices instead of computers to browse. I never use a computer for anything really. We have one with a modem hooked up to it and a scanner.  That's about it. All my internet stuff is phone only.

It is viewable on mobile but it's not easy to find. Scroll down to the tab that says activity on it. Click on it and select "Baubles and Charms". 

20 hours ago, Gloves said:

Oh yeah. And to answer the actual OP question, they are as @acromite53 has said - badges/awards. 

We called them "Baubles and Charms" to keep with a kind of "fantasy" theme, what with the Sage and all.

The "Lol get it?" Charm is literally a sprig of sage, the herb.

More specifically...

Baubles - awards given out automagically for completing some "task" that the forum software can detect. Stuff like being a Subscriber, or getting a lot of posts/likes/etc..

Charms - awards that we hand out manually. Stuff like the sage award I've been haphazardly handing out, or more aptly for, say, winning an official contest or participating in an event.

5 hours ago, ALTQQ said:

Maybe make it viewable in profiles on mobile? A lot of ppl use mobile devices instead of computers to browse. I never use a computer for anything really. We have one with a modem hooked up to it and a scanner.  That's about it. All my internet stuff is phone only.

In all seriousness, it would be cool to see the baubles and charms on mobile. There is a decent amount of white space to the right of users' name or perhaps as a small signature line.

But not today of course! Everyone should enjoy their Christmas or other holidays of choice! Especially you @Gloves!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

In all seriousness, it would be cool to see the baubles and charms on mobile. There is a decent amount of white space to the right of users' name or perhaps as a small signature line.

But not today of course! Everyone should enjoy their Christmas or other holidays of choice! Especially you @Gloves!

The space available beside names is variable, as you can have pretty long names. 

I'd probably add a row below the existing user info. That way it's a bit more obvious. I'd make them somewhat smaller too. 

I'll consider it at the least. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

out of curiosity does the subscriber bauble go away when you don't subscribe?  Just wondering.  I had a lapse because i thought i paid but didnt.  Just curious on how that works.

It should, but doesn't seem to. I've been meaning to look into it.