IGNORED

Movie Debate #158: Gone Baby Gone

Rate it  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

• The title was changed to Movie Debate #158: Gone Baby Gone

I love Denis Lehane's books but this movie adaptation was just ok. It is the third in the series so that's really confusing why they went with this one (they could have setup a nice series of movies). I do remember some reviews being a bit confused with some of the story elements in the movie at the time of release, from memory I think they removed some sections that helped tell the story. I'd go with a 6.5 I think. Read the book if you're into crime thrillers.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Brickman said:

Reed: Can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks of Gone Baby Gone. They’ll probably talk about Ben’s directing, Casey’s portrayal of Patrick, the great Boston backdrop.

VGS

Confused Little Girl GIF

Oh, believe me, I had no such delusions.  Any movie made after 1999 is probably gonna flop.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh, believe me, I had no such delusions.  Any movie made after 1999 is probably gonna flop.

I’m actually surprised how many said they have never even heard of it.

I can understand not seeing it but this movie was pretty big at the time and I vaguely remember some people shitting on it just because they don’t like Ben Affleck which caused some controversy.

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised, too, at the "Never heard of it." Granted, it's been 17(!) years, but it was still kind of a big deal back in the day. Was everyone here a teenager/in college and stoned out of their mind in 2007? 😛 

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

I can understand not seeing it but this movie was pretty big at the time and I vaguely remember some people shitting on it just because they don’t like Ben Affleck which caused some controversy.

Yeah, I remember a lot of people hatin' on him. Probably residual feelings from some of the flops he had before.

But then people were pretty quick to at least grudgingly say, "Okay, so he can direct."

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Brickman said:

It's not like I'm not keeping up with movies. It's hard for me to find the time to watch them, but I always keep tabs on what's coming out, and I have a massive list of things I still need to see. Most of them newer than 1999 probably.

But I have literally never heard of this movie before, the title is completely new to me. I'm gonna assume it never had an international theatrical release.

Edit: seems it was shown here

Edited by Sumez

53 minutes ago, Sumez said:

It's not like I'm not keeping up with movies. It's hard for me to find the time to watch them, but I always keep tabs on what's coming out, and I have a massive list of things I still need to see. Most of them newer than 1999 probably.

But I have literally never heard of this movie before, the title is completely new to me. I'm gonna assume it never had an international theatrical release.

Edit: seems it was shown here

It was pretty big. I don’t live in the US either and it played here. It was also directed by Ben Affleck which made it more famous or infamous depending what you think of the movie.

I’m not really surprised that people haven’t seen it, crime movies aren’t a lot of people’s genre. I’m just more surprised that a lot of people had never heard of it.

The good thing about these debates is that it introduces movies to people. I wouldn’t place this as a must see drop everything type movie, but it’s worth a watch if you’ve got nothing better to watch and looking to kill some time. Casey Affleck was pretty good in it (although isn’t who I pictured as Patrick from a readers perspective) and Ben did a good job directing imo.