IGNORED

What are some of the most iconic, "Everyone Should Play" games... you've not played?

RH

13 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Funny timing.  Literally yesterday I took a look at this list and counted how many I've played.

I'm at 158 of the top 200.  Which I feel like is going to be highest number here outside of maybe @Sumez or maybe a couple other people.

I'm surprised how much of that list I did play. It didn't seem like I'd be someone who'd played World of Warcraft, Pokemon, or Modern Warfare, but somehow I did. And definitely a lot more than either of them deserve if you ask me 😅

Here's the full list of games in the top 200 that I didn't play. I guess that leaves me at 168 that I did. Sorted roughly by how "relevant" I feel the game is, based on its reputation:

1. X-Com: UFO
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Series)
  3. Halo 2
  4. Outer Wilds (literally in my 2024 backlog list)
  5. Persona 4
  6. Persona 5 (P4 and 5 in the list, but not 2 and 3 which are the ones I did play :P)
  7. Papers, Please (literally just fired up the title screen, but I don't think that should count)
  8. Ultima Online (kinda too late for this one)
  9. Zork (at least I think I haven't played it, I'm not sure if my familiarity with it is second-hand or first)
  10. Elite (I might have fired this up in the past and had no idea what to do)
  11. Burnout 3
  12. EverQuest
  13. Baldur’s Gate II (played the first game, and it was extremely boring)
  14. X-Com: Enemy Unknown (been on my backlog list several times in the past, never got around to it)
  15. Untitled Goose Game (bought this for my gf when she was having her "geese are fun" phase, but we never tried it :classic_sad:)
  16. StarCraft II
  17. Fortnite
  18. League of Legends
  19. Overwatch (I've seen footage of this game and I have absolutely no clue what's going on)
  20. Dota 2
  21. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  22. Tecmo Bowl (Series)
  23. Oregon Trail
  24. Gran Turismo 3 (I played the PS3 one quite a bit and really liked it, I feel like that supersedes GT3, doesn't it?)
  25. Stardew Valley (isn't this just Harvest Moon?)
  26. Into the Breach
  27. GTA: San Andreas (why are the GTA games listed separately on this list, they are basically all the same)
  28. Left 4 Dead 2 (played the demo of the first game and found nothing appealing about it)
  29. Rocket League
  30. Red Dead Redemption 2 (I loved the first game, but pretty much everyone seems to agree RDR2 is garbage)
  31. Madden NFL Football (Series)
  32. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I thought Pandora Tomorrow was the one everyone liked, I played that one!) 

Also I played through the demos of Mass Effect 2, L4D, Dead Space, Destiny, and Deus Ex (and the first episode of Walking Dead), but never played the full games, which I guess still qualifies as having played them. I think Deus Ex so far is the best bet at an actual "everyone should play" game that I for some reason still haven't really played. At the time I guess I was just disappointed it wasn't System Shock 2 🤣

Also Tony Hawk and X-Com are definitely games that come off as iconic "must play" titles to me, but they are kinda outside of genres I'm likely to dig. I feel pretty fine not having played the rest of this list.

• Like 1

Some from various "top" lists:

Hades
Disco Elysium
Red Dead Redemption 1/2
Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, any modern multiplayer FPS
Dishonored 1/2
Bloodbourne
Alien: Isolation
DOTA 2
League of Legends (I barely have a concept of what a MOBA even is. It seems like a combo of RTS and ARPG PVP)
Far Cry 3
Borderlands 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
God of War 2-5
Bayonetta
Persona 4-5
The Witcher 3
Return of the Obra Dinn
Half Life Alyx

I've played almost all of the cliche 80s and 90s stuff until you get into the advanced nerd lists that start throwing in A Mind Forever Voyaging and King's Quest IV to keep you on your toes.

I'm interested in a few: Hades, Disco Elysium, and Obra Dinn. But man, I have played a lot of action games, a lot of FPS games, a lot of RPGs. It's hard to imagine every single good action game a "must play!". These top games ever lists are always overinfested with action and FPS games. The IGN top list has 15 FPS and 0 2D shooters. OK.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Untitled Goose Game (bought this for my gf when she was having her "geese are fun" phase, but we never tried it :classic_sad:)

This game is the perfect co-op girlfriend game. I mean Starcraft II might be the best RTS ever, but I'm still urging you to try this instead since it's the best stealth goose puzzle game ever.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm surprised how much of that list I did play. It didn't seem like I'd be someone who'd played World of Warcraft, Pokemon, or Modern Warfare, but somehow I did. And definitely a lot more than either of them deserve if you ask me 😅

Here's the full list of games in the top 200 that I didn't play. I guess that leaves me at 168 that I did. Sorted roughly by how "relevant" I feel the game is, based on its reputation:

The ones I haven't played a significant amount of:

1. The Witcher III - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  2. Grand Theft Auto V - already on the 2024 backlog
  3. Minecraft - probably won't play
  4. Red Dead Redemption II - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  5. Disco Elysium - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  6. Pokemon Blue/Red - I'll get to it someday for reference.  I did mess around with some kid's copy back in middle school while we were in Oregon, but that doesn't count.
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I'll get to it if it ever gets ported off of the Wii
  8. Super Smash Bros. Melee - I've played like 5 rounds of battle, so I didn't count it.  Can't imagine I ever re-acquire it either.
  9. System Shock 2 - future backlog.  I'm like 95% sure I have it on GoG.
  10. The Sims - probably won't play
  11. Overwatch - probably won't play
  12. Civilization IV - probably won't play
  13. Outer Wilds - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  14. Spelunky - maybe some day
  15. Persona 5 - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  16. Persona 4 - future backlog
  17. Zork - maybe some day
  18. Day of the Tentacle - future backlog
  19. Rocket League - maybe, who knows.
  20. Gran Turismo - own it, probably won't ever happen
  21. Soul Calibur - probably won't play
  22. Age of Empires - I played the shit out of the first one, and I think I own the 2nd one.  Probably won't get to it, but who knows.
  23. Civilization 5 - own it, who knows if I'll ever get to it
  24. Fire Emblem Three Houses - already planned for the 2025 backlog
  25. Elite - probably won't play
  26. X-COM Enemy Unknown - who knows, maybe it if gets ported.  I do own the sequel.
  27. Thief - future backlog
  28. Red Alert - probably wont' play
  29. Ultima Online - definitely won't play
  30. Destiny - probably won't play
  31. Command & Conquer - probably won't play
  32. Quake III - probably won't play
  33. Everquest - definitely won't play
  34. Divinity Original Sin II - future backlog
  35. Hearthstone - I don't even know.  Probably won't play.
  36. Fez - future backlog
  37. Pokemon Gold/Silver - probably won't play
  38. Tekken 3 - probably won't play
  39. Starcraft II - future backlog
  40. Untitled Goose Game - future backlog
  41. Papers Please - future backlog

So I guess I miscounted and actually stand at 159.

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

until you get into the advanced nerd lists that start throwing in A Mind Forever Voyaging and King's Quest IV to keep you on your toes

You really should play KQ4 tho!

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The ones I haven't played a significant amount of:

Good priorities overall. I think the ones you "aren't likely to play" you'll probably be fine without. I think The Sims and Minecraft are both monumental games that any video game fans owe some familiarity with, but like - if you don't think it's your thing, it definitely won't be your thing.
Skipping Civilization 4 makes sense as long as you're playing any other Civ game. They are all pretty much the same, but everyone should play at least one. 😛

Look forward to System Shock 2 and Fez! Somehow these seem like the biggest two omissions on your list to me. Mario Galaxy 2 is fun sure, but if you played 1, you know what you're getting. Day of the Tentacle is probably my favourite adventure game, but if you got the MI games and Grim Fandango down, you're quite set.

9 hours ago, wongojack said:

AND . . . the thread title asks which ones you've NOT played.  Well?

Fair enough. Here are a few of them:

• Spoiler
    • Antarctic Adventure
    • Artillery Duel
    • Attack of the Timelord
    • Bounty Bob Strikes Back
    • Carnival
    • Cat Trax
    • Communist Mutants from Soace
    • Diner
    • Dodge 'Em
    • Dragon Stomper
    • Escape from the Mind Master
    • Food Fight
    • Gremlins
    • HERO
    • Indy 500
    • Jawbreaker
    • KC Munchkin', KC's Krazv Chase!
    • Killer Bees
    • Lady Bug
    • Miner 2049er
    • Mouse Trap
    • Mr  Do! (ColecoVision)
    • Mr  Do!'s Castle (Atari 5200, ColecoVision)
    • PBA Bowling (lntellivision)
    • Pengo (Atari 5200)
    • Pepper II (ColecoVision)
    • Pick Axe Pete! (Qdyssey2)
    • Shark  Shark (Intellivision)
    • Slither (ColecoVision)
    • Solar Fox (Atari 2600)
    • Space Dungeon (Atari 5200)
    • Turbo (ColecoVision)
    • Turmoil (Atari 2600)
    • Turtles! (Odyssey2)
    • Tutankham (ColecoVision)
    • Worm Whomper (lntellivision)
    • Earthworm Jim 2
    • Galares
    • The King of Fighters 94
    • Mega Bomberman
    • Mr Do!
    • NHL '94
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga
    • Phantasy Star IV
    • Rock N' Roll Racing
    • Samurai Shodown II
    • Sega Rally Championship
    • Star Control Il
    • Tekken 3
    • Truxton
    • WCW/nWo Revenge.
    • Wing Commander Ill: Heart of the Tiger

Hopefully I counted right LOL

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elprincipe said:

Fair enough. Here are a few of them:

•   Hide contents
    • Antarctic Adventure
    • Artillery Duel
    • Attack of the Timelord
    • Bounty Bob Strikes Back
    • Carnival
    • Cat Trax
    • Communist Mutants from Soace
    • Diner
    • Dodge 'Em
    • Dragon Stomper
    • Escape from the Mind Master
    • Food Fight
    • Gremlins
    • HERO
    • Indy 500
    • Jawbreaker
    • KC Munchkin', KC's Krazv Chase!
    • Killer Bees
    • Lady Bug
    • Miner 2049er
    • Mouse Trap
    • Mr  Do! (ColecoVision)
    • Mr  Do!'s Castle (Atari 5200, ColecoVision)
    • PBA Bowling (lntellivision)
    • Pengo (Atari 5200)
    • Pepper II (ColecoVision)
    • Pick Axe Pete! (Qdyssey2)
    • Shark  Shark (Intellivision)
    • Slither (ColecoVision)
    • Solar Fox (Atari 2600)
    • Space Dungeon (Atari 5200)
    • Turbo (ColecoVision)
    • Turmoil (Atari 2600)
    • Turtles! (Odyssey2)
    • Tutankham (ColecoVision)
    • Worm Whomper (lntellivision)
    • Earthworm Jim 2
    • Galares
    • The King of Fighters 94
    • Mega Bomberman
    • Mr Do!
    • NHL '94
    • Panzer Dragoon Saga
    • Phantasy Star IV
    • Rock N' Roll Racing
    • Samurai Shodown II
    • Sega Rally Championship
    • Star Control Il
    • Tekken 3
    • Truxton
    • WCW/nWo Revenge.
    • Wing Commander Ill: Heart of the Tiger

Hopefully I counted right LOL

A lot of these are short and easy to experience relatively quickly.  Of the ones I've played, I would pick these to focus on from the pre-crash systems (if you are interested of course)

Attack of the Timelord - This game convinced me the O2 was worth playing.  Simple vertical shooting with flicker-free graphics.  It's worth getting the emulator configured just for this game IMO.
Diner - An Intellivision exclusive that expands a bit on the Burgertime formula. 
HERO - This is probably my favorite 2600 game, but it is on a lot of platforms.  It doesn't matter which one you play.  Great mix of exploration, memorization, action, twitch.
Pepper II - The best Colecovision game on the list is Turbo, but unless you have the wheel, it isn't really worth it.  Pepper II is in the "maze" genre and holds up pretty well.  You could check out HERO on Coleco too.
Space Dungeon - The twin stick game that isn't Robotron.  Unfortunately to play on original hardware requires two working 5200 controllers (they suck) and some sort of a controller holder.   I've never tried to emulate it - perhaps you can use a modern twin stick controller on this one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

This game is the perfect co-op girlfriend game. I mean Starcraft II might be the best RTS ever, but I'm still urging you to try this instead since it's the best stealth goose puzzle game ever.

Regarding Untitled Goose game - I noticed it on the list too and thought "That's a weird one to show up here."  But, I've played it and would probably recommend it over some others higher on the list, so yeah.  Best Goose Puzzle game eva!

Edited by wongojack

Mario 3 is my obvious answer. A weird glitch in my gaming history where I’ve fully completed Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario DS, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, yet I’ve never played Mario 3!

Donkey Kong trilogy on the SNES, a few of the Sonics on the Megadrive, a few of the Crash Bandicoot games on the PS1, and the Panzer Dragoon trilogy on the Saturn, I would also love to play in proper. 

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, cj_robot said:

I've never played a single Pokemon game.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:20 AM, ikk said:

The first I thought of are SMB3

On 4/18/2024 at 8:50 AM, GPX said:

Mario 3

These are the two most surprising responses to me so far!
Pokemon and Super Mario Bros 3 seem like games most people stumble into playing for at least a few minutes once in their life haha!

[T-Pac]

4 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

These are the two most surprising responses to me so far!
Pokemon and Super Mario Bros 3 seem like games most people stumble into playing for at least a few minutes once in their life haha!

[T-Pac]

Interesting call out.  Had I asked this question just 2-3 years ago, I too would have been in the "never played a Pokemon game" camp too.

I gave it a try a little while ago (and posted about it in one thread) and I just couldn't see the appeal.  I mean, I was about 40 at the time and I get that it wasn't made for me, but even back then in 1999, I didn't see the appeal, even though I was just a few years older than the target demographic.

I think Pokemon excelled at introducing a younger generation to RPGs with a novel goal of collecting versus grinding.  I guess I could see the appeal of that to someone who's possibly never touched an RPG.  However, as someone who'd played countless RPGs at that point, it just seemed too simple.

But there's still something about it that makes me want to give it another go.  Pokemon Snap! might be more to my liking, though.  I kind of like the idea of hunting and photographing animals rather than catching them and grinding them for battle.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, RH said:

Interesting call out.  Had I asked this question just 2-3 years ago, I too would have been in the "never played a Pokemon game" camp too.

I gave it a try a little while ago (and posted about it in one thread) and I just couldn't see the appeal.

For sure. I don't really enjoy playing Pokemon, either - but it's interesting to hear that there are avid video game fans who've never even touched it before.

Although - maybe I'm misinterpreting the question... In my mind, if you've so much as pressed a single input on a game, you've "played" it. But I think some people are only considering games they've spent a significant amount of time with, "played". And that really changes the dynamic of the question and introduces taste over exposure.

[T-Pac]

I think quite a few of us here are old enough that "pokemon" gets grouped alongside the likes of Fortnite and League of Legends. We're aware of them, and know they are popular with the kids, but also realize they are simply for a different demographic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

For sure. I don't really enjoy playing Pokemon, either - but it's interesting to hear that there are avid video game fans who've never even touched it before.

Although - maybe I'm misinterpreting the question... In my mind, if you've so much as pressed a single input on a game, you've "played" it. But I think some people are only considering games they've spent a significant amount of time with, "played". And that really changes the dynamic of the question and introduces taste over exposure.

[T-Pac]

No, your interpretation is correct in what I was attending.  To my knowledge, the first Pokemon game I ever played was the original and that was about 2-3 years ago for a couple of hours.  I felt it was time to try and give it an honest try.

I think the reason why there might be a high-number of retro-gamers that have never touched it becuase in general, if you are about my age or younger, you saw that this was a "kids" game and didn't see much interest in it.  I mean, Nintendo made a lot of game, but IMHO, Pokemon was the last, great series Nintendo created that was 100% geared towards children.   Since their older fans from the NES days were mostly pushing 20, we didn't have an interest in playing this game, at all, so playing it now is more of a historical curiousity.

And no shame towards anyone 40+ for liking Pokemon.  I'm just saying, back in 1999-2000, if someone was playing Pokemon, they were probably 15 years old or younger, and "15" is being generous.

EDIT

@Sumez Oddly enough, when FortNite first came out and was starting to get traction, I didn't know anything about it culturally speaking.  I downloaded it, gave it a try, sort of saw the appeal but it seemed like a game that'd have a flash-in-the-pan moment of popularity and would then blow away.

Man was I wrong.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1