IGNORED

2024 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 3

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

COWABUNGA!!!

Get your nunchakus, your pizza, your orange ninja mask and get turtle ready for some ACTION!
This week we will tackle on TMNT and do I have ONE set of rules for you all!

• Play as Michelangelo, and ONLY as Michelangelo
  • Play till game over or till you beat scene 2
  • If you beat the Groundchuck at the end of scene 2, pause the game right away and take your picture
  • You must pause before the door starts opening and you are awarded the stage clear bonus points
  • For each extra life you have at the end of scene 2, add 10000 to your score
  • For each health point you have at the end of the scene 2, add 500 to your score, up to 8000 points (a full health bar with 16 points)
  • You cannot use the cheat code to start with more lives
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Beat'em up

Never pay full price for late pizza.

The contest ends Sunday, 04/21/24 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Events Team · Posted
1st Gaia Gensouki 189,800
2nd PII 175,600
3rd mbd39 171,300
4th NESfiend 144,000
5th Jeevan 137,300
6th JamesRobot 124,600
7th a3quit4s 115,000
8th SuperJimtendo 107,500
9th Seppatoni 102,600

Events Team · Posted

This ought to be a very fun challenge since the points from extra live and remaining health can tip the scale a lot.
Thought this would be more fun than have you guys beat the game.

• Agree 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Here's my score before getting the +15k from the second boss.

129,100 + 18,000 = 147,100

TMNTIII.jpg.1c09447be05d5442a28c6e7e43838dcd.jpg

So you died to max the health bar. Clever. I will have to change that so lives have more weight.

There. Now a life is worth more than a full health bar and thus managing to conserve it will play a bigger part on the challenge! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

So you died to max the health bar. Clever. I will have to change that so lives have more weight.

This was my immediate concern upon looking at the ruleset that it's better to die in order to get a full healthbar. I almost brought it up.

24 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

There. Now a life is worth more than a full health bar and thus managing to conserve it will play a bigger part on the challenge! 😄

Dammit! I should have kept my score until the very end. 😂

Though this now means that preserving your lives is more important than speed. I will have to adjust my strategy for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
15 hours ago, BeaIank said:

If you beat the Groundchuck at the end of scene 2, pause the game and take your picture

Is that picture intended to be the final score, or do we include the points awarded after you defeat him and on the clear screen as well?

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Is that picture intended to be the final score, or do we include the points awarded after you defeat him and on the clear screen as well?

It is intended to be the final score..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

The game awards you extra points during the cut scene. We need the picture as you defeated the boss for the score to count.

I took that into account after I beat the boss if you look at my score in the picture it’s higher than what I actually used for my score. I actually had 112k and some change but rounded down in fairness

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:12 PM, mbd39 said:

Good ruleset.

If we're playing TMNT2 I'd rather play through the entire game. But this game is even longer and goes on and on and on.

I like this game, but it's way too long. 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:12 PM, mbd39 said:

Good ruleset.

If we're playing TMNT2 I'd rather play through the entire game. But this game is even longer and goes on and on and on.

I honestly think both of the NES TMNT beat em ups are way too long. I've no deathed both games and I think they still clock in at just over an hour. For contrast, I played Turtles in Time the other day and beat it in 21 minutes. I dont remember if I posted it in the unpopular game opinion thread or not, but I like that the SNES Final Fight cut out the industrial area level. Even with 5 areas, it still takes almost an hour to finish. Final Fight 2 went back to 6 stages and it's just way too tedious. Final Fight 3 added shortcuts in some of the stages which gives it the perfect balance since the player can decide if they want to take the shorter or the longer routes.