IGNORED

Top Five Favorite Collection Items: In Pictures!

DarkKobold

Show me your top five favorite items in your collection. It doesn't need to be your most valuable, just the things you treasure most deeply. As an added challenge, make sure to put all five in the same single photo! 

It's always fun to show off, and maybe you posted it so long ago, so it doesn't fit in a pick-up thread. This is meant to be nothing more than fun, so don't take it too serious. I'm not good at counting, so if you post six or seven favorites, I won't be able to count that high 😉 

Edited by DarkKobold

Not sure what all 5 would be, but one would be this copy of Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis I got for my birthday in 1994. Over 30 years of good memories.  

Played the snot out of the game, wrote down the passcodes as I beat Grant and the Raptor on pieces of paper and tucked them in the case, even recently played it with my kids.

20240401_171258.jpg?ex=661db4a2&is=660b3fa2&hm=a4291d14308127c9b8cdd068bb2b3b4a018fa9958e016b74bb39b624a244b152&

• Like 5

As a pioneer in game collecting, I generally don't show off my tops as I don't want to create unnecessary competition for myself from copycat collectors.

Therefore, at the moment my top five things (to get rid of) are 

1. Xbox 360 games

2. Xbox games

3. Modern Famiclones

Ehh, that's only three but it works.

32 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

As a pioneer in game collecting, I generally don't show off my tops as I don't want to create unnecessary competition for myself from copycat collectors.

I think you are joking, but since this kinda goes against my mentality when it comes to niche collecting, I'm going to respond anyways 

In my opinion it is more worth it to try and get more people into a niche you're trying to carve out. Ideally you can get some passionate people into whatever niche you're in and they can help document and discover new things. There's only so much info and stuff one person can find. It'll increase competition, but since it is a new category for collectors, the strategies are not as fleshed out as older categories. Therefore you can find good deals so long as you stay ahead of the curve on finding the stuff

Short Version: If a traveler never has anyone follow in their footsteps, then are they truly a pioneer, or are they a wanderer who disappeared in some unknown place?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/1/2024 at 4:20 PM, xelement5x said:

Not sure what all 5 would be, but one would be this copy of Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis I got for my birthday in 1994. Over 30 years of good memories.  

Played the snot out of the game, wrote down the passcodes as I beat Grant and the Raptor on pieces of paper and tucked them in the case, even recently played it with my kids.

20240401_171258.jpg?ex=661db4a2&is=660b3fa2&hm=a4291d14308127c9b8cdd068bb2b3b4a018fa9958e016b74bb39b624a244b152&

Childhood passccode sheets and everything ... niiiiice.

[T-Pac]

10 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

image.jpeg.7bd75f39a4dd2f517d2c74505e6b2043.jpeg

Sick!
Can we get a list of this stuff? I'm not familiar with all of it, and I'm interested to know what each item is and why it's your favorite.

[T-Pac]

My marvel vs Capcom 2

mvsc2_zpseaad9361.jpg

It's the game that started it all my first misprint

pder_zpsocbxo6zn.jpg

This particular one plays Good Times season 5 disc 1

P1050155.JPG

This assembly error has a CMYK print test sheet as the cover

arcadeghmiscut2.jpg

Miscut arcade compilation with a different product an album by Tessie Hill

talmit.jpg

One of my more unusual printings of talmit's adventure 

Doh didn't fully read the first post 

Edited by Hybrid
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:38 AM, Ankos said:

I think you are joking, but since this kinda goes against my mentality when it comes to niche collecting, I'm going to respond anyways 

In my opinion it is more worth it to try and get more people into a niche you're trying to carve out. Ideally you can get some passionate people into whatever niche you're in and they can help document and discover new things. There's only so much info and stuff one person can find. It'll increase competition, but since it is a new category for collectors, the strategies are not as fleshed out as older categories. Therefore you can find good deals so long as you stay ahead of the curve on finding the stuff

Short Version: If a traveler never has anyone follow in their footsteps, then are they truly a pioneer, or are they a wanderer who disappeared in some unknown place?

I just can't get behind this way of thinking, sorry. It just leads to increased competition, smaller supply, higher demand, and then resellers and others jump on the bandwagon making it quickly turn toxic. 

I have no issues sharing information with friends who are also following such pursuits in a niche, or friends in other niches who won't be competing; however, posting ambitions, goals, and your "top tier" items for a bunch of randoms to see is just gonna be shooting your foot in the future, and that's something I personally try to avoid.

Edit: it does prove kind of funny though when I'm  inspecting something carefully like a date code or trademark, and the reseller squirms knowing I'm checking for something rare, yet has no idea what it is I'm possibly looking for.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I just can't get behind this way of thinking, sorry. It just leads to increased competition, smaller supply, higher demand, and then resellers and others jump on the bandwagon making it quickly turn toxic. 

I have no issues sharing information with friends who are also following such pursuits in a niche, or friends in other niches who won't be competing; however, posting ambitions, goals, and your "top tier" items for a bunch of randoms to see is just gonna be shooting your foot in the future, and that's something I personally try to avoid.

Edit: it does prove kind of funny though when I'm  inspecting something carefully like a date code or trademark, and the reseller squirms knowing I'm checking for something rare, yet has no idea what it is I'm possibly looking for.

To me its worth the risk. Being the one who introduces people to the niche sort of gives an opportunity to influence who is going to get interested and how they are going to approach things. Makes it easier to convince them to not overpay needlessly by warning them about resellers. It will make it grow faster, but I tend to assume it will grow eventually, so I may as well give it a nudge in the direction I want

I do see your point though

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I have a clear top five in my head but I came up with a few carts that might make it into that for me

Zook Z: A very fun Taiwan original for Gameboy. It's sort of a hybrid of classic Megaman and Megaman X. It was the first unlicensed Gameboy game I found ever since I decided to make that my main category for collecting

Top Secret: Gowin is my favorite company for Taiwan originals. Their first seven games were ones they bought the rights to, and some (all?) of those had versions released by companies prior to Gowin getting the rights. This is one of those pre-Gowin versions, so it is pretty old, and I view it as representing a sort of starting point for Taiwanese Gameboy games

HTG Multicart: Probably the coolest cart I've ever discovered. It's a multicart with a pirate hack of a Gowin game that previously had not been preserved (at least not in an emulatable form). As far as I'm aware multis by this manufacturer were not documented at the time I found this, at least not in the West

English Crouching Tiger: This was the last Gowin game known to get an English release. It's also one of the last Taiwan originals to have a USA release planned (not sure if it ever got out the door here though, the US company selling it just had it listed for pre-order). Top Secret works for a good starting point, while this one makes for a good ending point for unlicensed Gameboy games

Pokemon Jade: Prior to collecting unlicensed Gameboy stuff I was very interested in a game called Telefang. Specifically I wanted an English language pirate cart of it, because the idea of playing an unofficial English release of a game seemed really cool to me. I had a friend who I'd ride the bus to classes with who was willing to sell me a copy he owned, but when he couldn't find it he gave me this cart free of charge. I later on gave him a cart or two as well. I'm no longer in touch with him, but it's still a nice memory to go back to

Top Five.jpg

Edited by Ankos
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...