IGNORED

PC Collectors Unite -- Show-Off Your Non-Console Games !!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

THE MARKET FOR MYSTERY HOUSE HAS JUST EXPLODED

I saw like two copies in the past year. The one you just linked, which is still in the process of exploding someone's wallet, and just the disk. Like cartridges for the NES etc, the disk is certainly valuable but not THAT valuable -- to be fair, you could fake one of those pretty easily. However, the insert is much harder to fake and can be authenticated, and that's where the money is. It really is a piece of gaming history so I can't blame people for bidding like crazy. I wonder if the seller had any idea? Can you imagine thinking your game would hopefully go for a couple of hundred and then you see it's within a day or two $4000+

Edited by avatar!

market for mystery house exploded, etc.

This seemed like a nice early copy to get despite the disk bend. I think the other one on Ebay might be fake. The print quality is way lower and the floppy sticker is way off the mark. I can’t believe I lost the auction when it went for such a low price.

Screenshot_20240402-200929.png

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, inasuma said:

Just arrived. Very happy to have this game in a manageable size lol (looking at you,  collectors edition)

IMG_0252.jpeg

Wow.  That's the blackest of black box editions, I've ever seen.  What is it?!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

Congrats! that's a beautify. I'm gonna ask, curious about how much you paid for it?

🙂

This one was $155. Patience paid off!

Granted I wasn’t checking my saved search every single day but I did have to wait a little bit to find that combination of good condition + UPC isn’t cut out + has all inserts + doesn’t cost a premium due to those factors.

Edited by Strange
  • Like 1

Well this just arrived today.  A first edition Myst for the Macintosh.  This box is in fantastic shape.  I already have a few copies as I’d like to piece together a near perfect copy.  This box is near perfect!

IMG_2020.jpeg.be46fcc98acc54a0f0fcc172e05c2435.jpeg

But the fact is, I did not immediately hit the BIN button because of the box.  In fact, I didn’t even pay attention.  The reason I bought this was because I noticed it contained something I’d never seen before, a Mechanical Age patch disc.

IMG_2021.jpeg.972f6a0edd16a4421bcc40d26a22b629.jpeg

After purchasing this on eBay, I immediately tried to do some research and I asked around on various communities if anyone knew anything about this.  I pretty much found nothing.  Some really, really big fans in the Cyan Discord searched some old message groups going back to the mid-90s and the most they could find was mention of some people getting stuck in the Mech Age on early copies, but there was no mention of the patch disc.

So, yeah, it might just be a simple patch disk but I’m excited to have a near one-of-a-kind item like this for a franchise I’ve loved for 30 years.

Next, I need to find someone who can dump the contents.  It’s an old double-density Mac 3.25” and from my research, Apple who always does things differently to lock people into their tech made the drive run a variable speeds so you have to dump this off of an old Mac, or specialized hardware.  If anyone knows anyone who can do that, I’d appreciate a contact. 

Edited by RH
  • Like 2