IGNORED

PC Collectors Unite -- Show-Off Your Non-Console Games !!

My favorite game I've played so far this year is Wizardry 2. It is super short and to the point with minimal BS, the opposite of the average RPG. It's probably my favorite NES RPG. Exactly the kind of game I want to play. And Pat's book reviewed it lower than Caesar's Palace. Caesar's Freaking Palace.

Just play what looks cool, no one has any idea what's good.

IQELQOl.png

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:45 PM, MegaMan52 said:

Ok, here are some of my favorites:

image.jpeg.f6d791a186934657ea5d94fae61e0635.jpeg

i always see the Sega PC Collection games listed on eBay. not that i would ever do it, but i've always thought tracking all of them down would be fun, especially since they all appear to come in uniform, consistent packaging.  i wonder how many are in that collection 🤔

1 minute ago, final fight cd said:

i always see the Sega PC Collection games listed on eBay. not that i would ever do it, but i've always thought tracking all of them down would be fun, especially since they all appear to come in uniform, consistent packaging.  i wonder how many are in that collection 🤔

I use this list to see if there's anything I like. https://segaretro.org/Sega_PC

I've got a couple Sega PC games in their big box, some are pretty hard to find I've noticed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I use this list to see if there's anything I like. https://segaretro.org/Sega_PC

I've got a couple Sega PC games in their big box, some are pretty hard to find I've noticed.

i didn't go through every item in the list, but maybe there aren't as many as i thought there were with that Sega PC Collection branding.  makes me wonder if there is a definitive PC version of Sega game, but because it's the PC version nobody talks about it or even knows it exists 🤣

11 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

i didn't go through every item in the list, but maybe there aren't as many as i thought there were with that Sega PC Collection branding.  makes me wonder if there is a definitive PC version of Sega game, but because it's the PC version nobody talks about it or even knows it exists 🤣

It definitely isn't a full list because I have Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 plus expansions and Iceland Dale and they were released in Japanese under Sega PC but the list doesn't have them. 

Electronic Arts, which was a favorite of mine back when they were publishing other people's games.  Many many hours spent with Archon, Mule (oops, 2 copies in photo), 7 Cities of Gold, Bard's Tale, Pinball Construction Set, etc. The later stuff not so much.

I also really appreciated the shelf-friendly album packaging of those early releases.

EA.jpg.e1996578aacde30c46cb749a86da7a23.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Heads-up, the classic Colossal Cave Adventure by Roberta Williams is being released in a "reimagined" format! I pray we see King's Quest, Space Quest, and other classics ported to modern consoles and computers!!

Screenshot-from-2024-01-31-14-06-06.png

If these came on an actual CD I’d be interested but a steam key on a USB just feels weird and not very collectible.

Just how I enjoy putting a cart into a console I enjoy the action of putting the CD in the computer.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

If these came on an actual CD I’d be interested but a steam key on a USB just feels weird and not very collectible.

Just how I enjoy putting a cart into a console I enjoy the action of putting the CD in the computer.

Very fair point. I thought the actual game was on the USB stick, so that is a bit disappointing. I'll be getting the console release.

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

Man I wish games came on USB these days. It's a usable distribution format! I don't have a DVD drive in my computer anymore and I sure don't want digital codes.

42 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Man I wish games came on USB these days. It's a usable distribution format! I don't have a DVD drive in my computer anymore and I sure don't want digital codes.

Indiebox did just that, all their games were included (DRM free) on a USB stick, it was great! They were like the LRG for computer games, but alas, just did not succeed for whatever reasons.

44 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Really? I have a portable USB CD player which has come in handy so many times. How do you play your old PC games without a CD drive?

I could probably settle on a USB but from the picture you posted it looks like it does come with a USB but you still have to activate it with Steam. If they came DRM free I’d definitely be more open to having a USB.

13 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Really? I have a portable USB CD player which has come in handy so many times. How do you play your old PC games without a CD drive?

I could probably settle on a USB but from the picture you posted it looks like it does come with a USB but you still have to activate it with Steam. If they came DRM free I’d definitely be more open to having a USB.

I buy them again on GOG, ain't nobody got time for that 😳 I have a couple old PCs but generally think playing games on original PC hardware is a worse experience, unlike consoles. Quake at 35fps with a trackball mouse just isn't the same. I have a USB CD drive if I really need it but I stopped putting drives into my PC a while ago.

• Like 1

I still have all of my PC games, but sadly, I got rid of all of my PC boxes many years ago when I didn't have the room for them.  It was the same time I got rid of my gaming magazines.  Those are really the only gaming related items I've ever gotten rid of, and I definitely regret it.  My PC game collection is quite small, but some of the boxes were for games I have some really good memories of (Doom, Final Doom, Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D and others).  

Here are some of my favorite PC games as a collector’s bundle, notably the action/fighting genre.

83DDC224-C5C0-4E3F-8874-8C3BD69C0D9D.jpeg.84193637d16371625fa9158879babddb.jpeg
ACC6984A-236B-4176-98B6-2B998632C943.jpeg.911d2310c54b9e3bf0016691aa66e279.jpeg

And here is something I believe to be quite rare, a sealed 3DO Blaster. It appears to be a PC converter to allow you to play 3DO games.

C1F47F3B-B5A4-4558-8002-7F3E84A5FEAE.jpeg.ef07150a54de407460dd6cd5d4b5f934.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GPX said:

Here are some of my favorite PC games as a collector’s bundle, notably the action/fighting genre.

83DDC224-C5C0-4E3F-8874-8C3BD69C0D9D.jpeg.84193637d16371625fa9158879babddb.jpeg
ACC6984A-236B-4176-98B6-2B998632C943.jpeg.911d2310c54b9e3bf0016691aa66e279.jpeg

And here is something I believe to be quite rare, a sealed 3DO Blaster. It appears to be a PC converter to allow you to play 3DO games.

C1F47F3B-B5A4-4558-8002-7F3E84A5FEAE.jpeg.ef07150a54de407460dd6cd5d4b5f934.jpeg

I remember playing a lot of MK4 on PC when it came out. It felt so awkward playing a fighting game on a KB but it was a lot of fun.

23 hours ago, Brickman said:

I remember playing a lot of MK4 on PC when it came out. It felt so awkward playing a fighting game on a KB but it was a lot of fun.

I’ve never actually played MK4 or the later games in the series. I’ve also never really liked playing games on the KB and was more into the consoles. I only have a small selection of PC games just for collecting purposes and enjoying their art/display.

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Holy moly, you don't see those a lot 👀 Did you track that down or just happen to find one?

I bought this around 10 years ago. I had a hunch it was rare, and funny to recall it was listed by an ex-store owner for about a year and no one was buying it, so I took the plunge and made the purchase. I think I bought it for roughly around that value of the price sticker.

I agree with your sentiments, as I’ve not seen another sealed one since then! (Granted, I haven’t been overly active with the PC search.)