IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

AD&D: Heroes of the Lance is done.

Holy absolute moly this game is awful. I can't believe this was released. Super easy game for lots of reasons though (small map, save anywhere, more magic than you'll ever need, only one item to find and it's in the same room as the boss lmao).

2HCfSgM.png

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 342/677

Might and Magic is done.

This game is frustratingly almost good. It's epic, but the port is clunky and slow in a bunch of ways (quintuply nested menus, excessive transitions and animations, level-scaled trash encounters that ensure you never feel powerful even in beginner areas because that would be fun).

I compiled the most useful leveling tips below for any future travelers who dig through old threads for tips:

Spoiler

Party/Gear

I used the default party from Sorpigal which has a good composition, but you can reroll your own characters at the Sorpigal guild master to roll better stats, which I would've done if I had realized it before I leveled up my dudes.

This is the best buyable gear and half of it I carried to the end of the game. All of it is purchased in Dusk. At levels 1-3 just buy the best stuff from Sorpigal (Chain Mail, etc.), then venture out and save up for the stuff at Dusk.

Knight (x2):
Flamberge +1
Plate Mail +1

Cleric:
Great Hammer +1
Chain Mail +1

Robber:
Long Sword +1
Padded Armor +1
Large Shield +1
Robber's Tools

Mage (x2):
Padded Armor +1
Staff +1

Experience / Money

Early game:

Level 2: At lv2 you can leave Sorpigal and repeatedly raid/sell a chest at C3 (2,10). It's little money, but there's no encounters. Drop the cursed garbage.

Level 3/4: There's a repeatable courier quest that gets you 1500exp / 500gold. You will need Fly or get the Desert Map to easily get to Dusk on E1. The guy at C3 (6,14) will give you the Desert Map. There's a few encounters before him, you probably need to be level 3 or 4.
  1. Talk to the guy in the Sorpigal (C2) dungeon at (1,2)
  2. Talk to the guy in Erliquin (B1) at (4,12)
  3. Talk to to the guy in Dusk (E1) at (8,0)

Level 3+: The kings of Blackridge North (B1), Blackridge South (B1), and White Wolf (B3) have quests of increasing difficulty and exp rewards. The first 3-5 each of these are largely just exploration and easily doable with just Fly. You need the Merchant Pass on C1 (5,7) before the kings will give you quests.

Best Money:

Level 4-5+: You can repeatedly find the pirate's treasure for infinite gold/gems. The guy at C3 (2,10) will give you two pirate maps in exchange for your first character's inventory. Then there are chests on A2 (2,4) and (2,5) that will give you 4000 gold and a lot of gems. They respawn every time you leave the screen. This makes gold/gems trivial. IMO other gold methods are a waste of time compared to this.

Best Experience:

Level ~5-13: Buy skill potions in Dusk using pirate treasure money. Use a skill potion on your Cleric (2-5 times depending on level). Go to E4 (3,6) and fight the CRYPT. If you see Coffin, you're not on (3,6). Cast Bless1 as your Cleric, you'll kill everyone instantly for 5000+ exp and a few hundred gold. Walk north to D4 (not E3) and back to reset the fight.

Other

• Prioritize gear over leveling up. The game has level-scaled random encounters so the game will get harder as you level up.
  • You can CAMP after every single battle to heal/recharge. Food is so cheap in Sorpigal.
  • You always have to SEARCH after encounters. You don't get loot automatically.
  • Use your Robber to open every bag/chest. Even quest chests can be trapped. 'Detect' is pointless.
  • There is a Leprechaun behind a hidden wall at (11,3) in Sorpigal who will teleport you to any town for 1 gem. Very handy early on.
  • At level 3, your Mages learn Jump, useful/necessary for jumping over squares with encounters/traps.
  • At level 5, your Mages learn Fly, which will teleport you to any world map tile. This completely changes the game.
  • Once you can Fly and are kitted out, you can easily get all the permanent stat boosts under "8-2-2-1. RAISING ATTRIBUTES" in the FAQ.
  • Donating to temples gives you a random chance to be blessed with big protection bonuses until your next Rest. Donations are only 25 gold at Dusk (vs 100 at Sorpigal), use it before big battles or dungeons with traps. Dusk is the best "home base" due to this price and how close everything is to the entrance.
  • You can press B (instead of Up) to walk over water without casting Float. Not sure if this bug is ever useful.

8XRyCZh.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It will be a cold day in hell when I ever play through this game again, now that I've got it done for my personal list, but Orb-3D has been completed.  What a friggin' slog that was; those last two levels... Yeesh... 😬

Orb-3D.JPG

That's on my one and done list. Yeah, the last couple of levels are brutal

Funny you guys mention it about Orb-3D, I've really enjoyed that game and played through it 2 or 3 times. There are some levels which are quite difficult and it can get frustrating, but I like it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game ever, but definitely not a one-and-done, never play it again type.

Oh cool, I finished Frankenstein when I wasn't expecting to!

I forgot, only after using a password to learn the last level, that the password DOES save your health refills, so luckily I had 3 going into the 3rd level, so I just did better so I went into the last level with 4 health refills.  The password doesn't save the amount of hits you can take.  But I learned that in the 2nd screen, the first green orb drops a blue potion that gives you an extra hit, so I just farmed him out to so I maxed it out and got to Frank and beat him on the first try.  Jolly good!

Beat captain planet, again. This has been a staple game for me every year for the contest. It's actually pretty fun once you learn all the tricks, though the controls can be a bit annoying at times. I aced most of the bosses this time around, where sometimes they've given me trouble in the past. Really creative game, give it a try (maybe with a guide) if you haven't already

20240115_180211.jpg

• Like 1

Milon's Secret Castle is done.

The balloon in the well got away from me which I can't recall happening before, so I found out you can walk out of the room and then just come back and kill the floating eyeball a 2nd time to get it to manifest again.  I actually miss having to climb back up the well though.  That was always some tricky fun back before I knew about the balloon...  Had to kill Maharitos 3 and 4 before I got the real one in the 2nd position...

MSC 2024.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khromak said:

Funny you guys mention it about Orb-3D, I've really enjoyed that game and played through it 2 or 3 times. There are some levels which are quite difficult and it can get frustrating, but I like it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game ever, but definitely not a one-and-done, never play it again type.

I thought going in that it was a really cool concept, and all the different "enigmas" were definitely interesting (chess, slot machine, race cars, and on and on) but the actual gameplay gets super frustrating when every few seconds I'm screaming in my head: "Why can't I just hit that one specific spot on the screeeeeeen... sonuvabitch!!!!!!).  They somehow found a way to make a really cool concept ridiculously frustrating, so I couldn't really recommend anyone ever playing it for "fun."

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball is done. Easily the best baseball game on the NES. Almost shut out the amazons. One hit them through 6 and my pitcher gave out in the 7th. Quick change, 2 quick outs, sent those Bs packing

Best? Hmm, it's pretty good, but I still like Baseball Simulator the best. Since everyone is doing these nowadays, I'd say my NES baseball Mt. Rushmore is:

• Baseball Simulator 1000
  • Baseball Stars
  • Dusty Diamond
  • RBI Baseball

Edited by scaryice

9 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Best? Hmm, it's pretty good, but I still like Baseball Simulator the best. Since everyone is doing these nowadays, I'd say my NES baseball Mr. Rushmore is:

• Baseball Simulator 1000
  • Baseball Stars
  • Dusty Diamond
  • RBI Baseball

I didn't discover the game until I was an adult, so nostalgia is not a factor. I think its easily the best. The characters different abilities vary so much more than other baseball games, and you have to discover them on your own. Not to mention the different stadiums and flawless gameplay and monster homeruns. Its a masterpiece. My rushmore:

Dusty

Bases Loaded 2 or 3 (tough call there)

Little league baseball

Legends of the diamond

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 352/677