IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 665/677

I made a little bit of progress on Dungeon Magic. I have acquired two of the five elemental swords and can now finally use fairy magic which allows me to call up a map among others. Very convenient, because navigation through the dungeons can be tricky and without it I got lost a bunch of times.

At the beginning of the game you can chose which of the five magic elements you want to start with and the last time that I played this game I chose fairy magic exactly because of the convenience. However, back then I realized that the mid to late game got pretty difficult since I didn't have good offensive or defensive magic. But this time I chose water magic, which lets you create shields that lower damage from physical or magic attacks or even both. So while my shields are active, I'm pretty much immune against physical from the monsters at the beginning of the game. That being said, magic users are still extremely dangerous and can kill me with a few spells. So I have to be careful.

I'll continue in the next days by grinding a few levels, buying better equipment and then taking on the next dungeons. BUt I still have quite a bit of work left to do so I can't play as much as I would want.

50 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Super C is done. Cant believe that one was still around. One of the best on the system

I took a couple of cracks at it in the last week, and couldn't get halfway through it. I never played it as much as the first Contra, but I'm still wondering if I'm just VERY rusty or if I'm actually getting old. I've struggled with a couple other games more than I expected to as well.

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I took a couple of cracks at it in the last week, and couldn't get halfway through it. I never played it as much as the first Contra, but I'm still wondering if I'm just VERY rusty or if I'm actually getting old. I've struggled with a couple other games more than I expected to as well.

I failed at eliminator boat duel today if it makes you feel any better. I got super c and contra around the same time. Always preferred super c. I have one deathed it, but this year I needed a continue to beat it. Moreso than contra, you have to remember a lot of split second stuff or it can lead to a quick death. Which can lead to several depending on where you are with weapons downgrade. You could def beat that game with some practice. You beat way harder ones this year 

Edited by NESfiend

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I failed at eliminator boat duel today if it makes you feel any better. I got suler c and contra around the same time. Always preferred super c. I have one deathed it, but this year I needed a continue to beat it. Moreso than contra, you have to remember a lot of split second stuff or it can lead to a quick death. Which can lead to several depending on where you are with weapons downgrade. You could def beat that game with some practice. You beat way harder ones this year 

Oh, I've beaten it before. Maybe even on one credit. That's why I'm disappointed in myself.

Adventure island 2 is done, another first time clear for me. Hard to tell which of these two was tougher... I'm inclined to say the first one, but I spent a very long time on the last world of this one. There weren't any specific jumps that were harder, but the levels felt longer and with no checkpoints you have to do the whole thing in one shot.

The controls are WAY different between the two. I felt I had more control in this one and could adjust in mid air a lot more, which was nice. Playing them back to back is a trip though, definitely took some getting used to. 

Oh, and for this one I did it mostly blind, except on the last world I looked up which eggs to pick to get to which levels, because I was just picking randomly and it was sending me all over the world, sometimes to 6 or more levels before getting to the boss, which was frustrating.

AdventureIsland2.jpg

Edited by Khromak

49 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Adventure island 2 is done, another first time clear for me. Hard to tell which of these two was tougher... I'm inclined to say the first one, but I spent a very long time on the last world of this one. There weren't any specific jumps that were harder, but the levels felt longer and with no checkpoints you have to do the whole thing in one shot.

The controls are WAY different between the two. I felt I had more control in this one and could adjust in mid air a lot more, which was nice. Playing them back to back is a trip though, definitely took some getting used to. 

Oh, and for this one I did it mostly blind, except on the last world I looked up which eggs to pick to get to which levels, because I was just picking randomly and it was sending me all over the world, sometimes to 6 or more levels before getting to the boss, which was frustrating.

AdventureIsland2.jpg

I actually find AI2 to be even more frustrating than the first and more annoying to play. AI2 may have shorter levels but there are more of them, and you have to start back at the beginning of the world rather than the individual level when you game over which I hate. The bosses are also tougher and move around the map when you die to them which is another aspect that I hate. Plus some of the dinos feel very slippery to control which makes me avoid using them.

Edited by mbd39

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I actually find AI2 to be even more frustrating than the first and more annoying to play. AI2 may have shorter levels but there are more of them, and you have to start back at the beginning of the world rather than the individual level when you game over which I hate. The bosses are also tougher and move around the map when you die to them which is another aspect that I hate. Plus some of the dinos feel very slippery to control which makes me avoid using them.

Yeah I agree the mechanics of it are much more frustrating, but I found the controls in AI2 to be much more manageable and there were FAR fewer jumps that were pixel perfect. They were much more generous with the weapons. In the original AI there are a bunch of levels with no weapons at all and you have to make it through the whole thing by jumping between every single enemy.

They're surprisingly different from each other, I have a hard time saying definitive things one way or the other, but I definitely feel like AI2 feels like it has more deliberate design where the original is more of like being beaten over the head with the difficulty stick.

They're both pretty fun though, and they give that Ninja Gaiden style feeling of mastery when you get good at them. I'm sure if I knew where more of the secrets were, I'd have a much easier time with them too.

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Hey guys, I have never posted here, but I think I got one for the team.  I've been playing Tennis because I had the game as a kid, and I never beat level 5 back then.  Well, I got him 2x today to win the cup!

Nice job, and welcome!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 326/677

Ended up having a little more extra time and finished Nightshade.  Actually wasn't as hard as I remembered.  The final boss battle is tough, and when I tried to used the staff of Ra I got demolished.  It was just easier to duck and spam punch and have him teleport near you.  Didn't even get hit once.  Fun quirky game, and another PC port with "Anubis" in it that I beat, the other being Conan haha.