IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm curious how we could even work a ruleset for Koei games that would work.  Maybe Uncharted Waters, maybe, but odds are it just won't work. 

I could see you do well in the puzzle genre though 😉

How about total # of cities conquered after 20 hours of L'Empereur? I'm sure everyone will LOVE that idea 🤣

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Thanks for the write-up. I was using walktrhoughs when I tried Rad Gravity a few years ago; I remember burning through the game up to the last level, and I'm pretty sure I had every upgrade available. Then I got to the last level, and I couldn't last 30 seconds. I beat my head against that proverbial wall for about an hour, got no better, and put the game down until someone else beat it.

I've been there, but with the passwords you totally could have chipped thru it!  Also the final boss battle is really interesting.  Its pretty challenging but you can get a rhythm to it once you find the right height. 

Actually I forgot to mention after I beat it, something happened and my character soft locked haha.  I had to use the communicator, and beat it again just to see the ending!

8 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

How about total # of cities conquered after 20 hours of L'Empereur? I'm sure everyone will LOVE that idea 🤣

But what if you can beat it in 10?  Also, it'd be hard to enforce rules like no resets without video proof, and that'd probably also be the only way to ensure the time frames.  I love the idea of getting the Koei games some love, but I can't see it working as a weekly contest game.

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Yes, WOW was I surprised!  I had a tough time with the Volcano level.  At the last one now and jeez its long and annoying.  I dunno how I did it before and I remember NOTHING about it.  It also has one of those "Where the hell do I go now?!" teleport mazes.  May take me another day depending how frustrated I get, but thank god for passwords.

Yeah the final level in Adventures of Rad Gravity is a pain. The final boss battles (there are 2 of them) are a pain too. They are a grind for sure. 

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

I'm about halfway through Startropics now, though obviously the second half will be much tougher than the first half. Thus far: very meh. Graphics, sound, atmosphere, etc are all great, but the gameplay is trolly and annoying at best. Trying to play an action combat game with what feel like RPG controls is really awkward and leads to a lot of cheap hits IMO. Dreading the end game when it truly gets tough [Emphasis added. -NN]

Thank you! I was so disappointed with the stage design. I expect first-party Nintendo games to be fair, and StarTropics wasn't.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 560/677

StarTropics is done, I stand by my earlier statements, the controls are too stiff considering how difficult the game gets towards the end (alien levels). I was able to cobble together a win, but it didn't feel like I earned it through mastery of the game, like other action games. I'd say it's like a 6-7/10 for me. Not much desire to go back

StarTropics.jpg

I must say between the games being completed lately and others being started by others, my "to do" list is getting awfully short now! I've got < 10 left now I think? I'll probably re-visit the thread's list again once this list is emptied and see what else I might be willing/able to try. At the very least, it's really exciting to be getting through so many games so early in the year, it's barely halfway through February!

I'll be starting Battle of Olympus some time tomorrow, probably get a good ways through it since I don't have too much else going on.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 564/677

I'm currently in the fifth chapter of Dragon Warrior IV and have almost my full party assembled. Shouldn't take too long to get the rest of the game done. I also came across this legendary line in chapter 4:

NotaBadSlime.png.3d322791c137eac7513b9d4a83ccad08.png

This line re-appeared in later Dragon Quest titles and even an anime made a joke about that, where a character dies and gets reborn in another world as a slime. Later he comes across another person whom he suspects of also being from our world so he says this to get a reaction out of her:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tablew/chairs said:

I beat treasure master, I didn’t do the bonus world because because entering the password is annoying and I didn’t see anything in the victory conditions saying you had to

IMG_0645.jpeg

I would argue that the bonus world is the entire point of the game and should be done. But I don't know what precedent has been used previously.  @scaryice what do you think?

16 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I would argue that the bonus world is the entire point of the game and should be done. But I don't know what precedent has been used previously.  @scaryice what do you think?

I get what you're saying, but there's no way you could've played it on release like that. And it also goes back to the whole code discussion. I think I've said before that it's fine to not play it.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 567/677
10 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I get what you're saying, but there's no way you could've played it on release like that. And it also goes back to the whole code discussion. I think I've said before that it's fine to not play it.

You had to get the code from contacting the developer after beating it, correct?

22 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Lunar Pool is definitely a skullf*ck, but I'm getting better at it. The fact you can practice any stage individually is a big help.

Ok, so I searched around a bit in here and I can't find it.

What's the rule for Lunar Pool?  I mean, how is it considered "beaten".  I played this a game a LOT as a kid and from what I recall, you can't really save it, or beat it in one setting.  Aren't there over 100 table variations and, technically, I don't think you play them one at a time and get a "win" screen.  I think you basically play them as you want, starting and stopping at whatever stage you want.

So... if one were to play each stage, one at a time, until they completed them all, would that count even if the cut off their Nintendo?  I feel I did this as a kid.  It was one of those games I didn't obsess over, but I do recall when I was bored and wanted something different, I'd boot up the game and just play through levels and I tried to work through them all... I think.  I've not played this game in 30+ years.  It was one I wore out and when I got Virtual Pool 64, I never looked back.

1 hour ago, RH said:

Ok, so I searched around a bit in here and I can't find it.

What's the rule for Lunar Pool?  I mean, how is it considered "beaten".  I played this a game a LOT as a kid and from what I recall, you can't really save it, or beat it in one setting.  Aren't there over 100 table variations and, technically, I don't think you play them one at a time and get a "win" screen.  I think you basically play them as you want, starting and stopping at whatever stage you want.

So... if one were to play each stage, one at a time, until they completed them all, would that count even if the cut off their Nintendo?  I feel I did this as a kid.  It was one of those games I didn't obsess over, but I do recall when I was bored and wanted something different, I'd boot up the game and just play through levels and I tried to work through them all... I think.  I've not played this game in 30+ years.  It was one I wore out and when I got Virtual Pool 64, I never looked back.

According to the requirements document: Beat the game on a single credit to get the ending screen

There are 50ish levels IIRC, you can pick any level you want to start on, and when you beat it to moves to the next one in the series. I played through the levels one at a time, "continuing" as I lost all my lives, and when I finished the last level it just kicked me back to the menu or started over at level 1, IDR which. If you want to actually get the ending, you need to do the whole thing without running out of lives.

You get 1 life per level you complete IIRC, and it might escalate if you do multiple levels in a row and/or there might be points-based lives, but it's REALLY easy to lose a whole bunch of lives in a row on a single level and there are a massive amount of levels, including some really tricky ones. Completing the whole thing in 1CC is a real challenge. I attempted it last year a few times and got to like...level 10. It makes sense as the completion requirement for this contest though, since that's the only way to trigger the ending.