IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 660/677

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So I did some Googling, because I was curious if there was a better ending, but apparently either there isn't one, or they didn't bother programming it in.  Someone over on AtariAGE apparently used a chess solver to beat it on Infinity (highest difficulty), and got this same ending.  

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/179111-when-nes-chessmaster-deny-being-defeated/

Also, it's super easy to beat on default settings.  When I played it, I won via the scholar's mate, which should never happen  to a computer 😆 

Scholars Mate is exactly how I won lol, played on default settings. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 52/677
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yo it's 5:20 am who let me stay up this late? Goin' to bed, yo.

Looks like you had a productive night! I don't think I can count a few of the games, though. Millipede is listed as beating round 16 and you only made it to 11. I know speedrun.com lists 10 rounds, but we've always had 16 as our requirement. Also, I'm not sure if you beat the requirements for Magmax (loop the game) and Tetris (9-5 B-type + high score on A-type). Let me know.

Edited by scaryice
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, scaryice said:

Looks like you had a productive night! I don't think I can count a few of the games, though. Millipede is listed as beating round 16 and you only made it to 11. I know speedrun.com lists 10 rounds, but we've always had 16 as our requirement. Also, I'm not sure if you beat the requirements for Magmax (loop the game) and Tetris (9-5 B-type + high score on A-type). Let me know.

On Magmax I looped through the black/grey level back to what I understood to be the first level again; I definitely fought the boss twice as described in the requirements.

As for Millipede, I must have misread 16 as 10 in my sleepy haze. Paired with watching speedruns for all the games, I mixed it up. I'll do it again!

As for Tetris, again I misread/misunderstood. I'll not bother with that one, I hate Tetris lol. Just thought it'd be funny to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

On Magmax I looped through the black/grey level back to what I understood to be the first level again; I definitely fought the boss twice as described in the requirements.

As for Millipede, I must have misread 16 as 10 in my sleepy haze. Paired with watching speedruns for all the games, I mixed it up. I'll do it again!

As for Tetris, again I misread/misunderstood. I'll not bother with that one, I hate Tetris lol. Just thought it'd be funny to do.

Ok, thanks. Just looked like the score was a bit low for Magmax, so I wasn't sure.

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So I did some Googling, because I was curious if there was a better ending, but apparently either there isn't one, or they didn't bother programming it in.  Someone over on AtariAGE apparently used a chess solver to beat it on Infinity (highest difficulty), and got this same ending.  

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/179111-when-nes-chessmaster-deny-being-defeated/

Also, it's super easy to beat on default settings.  When I played it, I won via the scholar's mate, which should never happen  to a computer 😆 

Same here -- sometime in the last 5-7 years I beat Chessmaster NES on Infinite and still got that damned "Now try a harder difficulty!" Incredibly lazy of the programmers to leave it that way, but it's not the only game I've played that does that (looking at you, Jimmy Connors SNES).

And yeah, the default difficulty of Newcomer/1 is just stupid. It basically plays whatever move happens to come into its virtual head first. The first level, 60 moves in 5 minutes (IIRC), is where the "real" game begins. But no shame in playing defaults for our purposes, of course, especially since the ending is the same load of garbage.

BTW I spent some time playing Star Voyager last night but didn't have much luck. When I'm away from that game for a while, I forget the nuances of combat, especially which speeds are optimal for targeting purposes.

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Ok, thanks. Just looked like the score was a bit low for Magmax, so I wasn't sure.

I avoided the underground areas for the entire game which probably contributed to the low score. I knew that the game was straightforward progress without a score requirement, so I mostly focused on staying alive. I actually had to play twice - the first time I played I went underground and ended up dying over and over cuz I'd lose control of my ship (it wiggled up and down for seemingly no reason). I didn't want to bother looking up why that was happening, but I knew it didn't happen above ground, so I just stuck up there.

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I'll probably take on Amagon tonight as usual. Maybe Phantom Fighter as well? I've started to enjoy playing that game every year for whatever reason.

What an odd game to enjoy lol.