IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

10 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Overlord. This game feels like they spent a bunch of time making systems, then never tested it. You just fly straight at the enemy base and kill him immediately, lmao. Gotta be in the top 5 shortest NES games. Less than 5 minutes easily.

This game has a pain point?? 😵

19ETXbL.png

Did you play Overlord on the highest difficulty to trigger the ending screen?  I'm asking because I remember it taking me a couple of tries to finally figure out the best way to take out those turrets with my little pea shooter.  That combined with the time it takes waiting for your ship to eventually show up at that last base was certainly longer than five minutes for me (unless you were being facetious 😛 )

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Did you play Overlord on the highest difficulty to trigger the ending screen?  I'm asking because I remember it taking me a couple of tries to finally figure out the best way to take out those turrets with my little pea shooter.  That combined with the time it takes waiting for your ship to eventually show up at that last base was certainly longer than five minutes for me (unless you were being facetious 😛 )

Yeah it’s 5 minutes just for the run after figuring out how to skirt around those 3 turrets. But you don’t even need some cheesy build order or RNG like you do for quick wins in some of the other strategy games. You just load up a tank and go win.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gloves said:

What an odd game to enjoy lol.

Amagon is just a game that I had as a kid, and I never could get anywhere with it back then. As an adult, I went back and beat it and started to appreciate it more. It's not the greatest game, but it's not just nostalgia neither, because I didn't suddenly like Rampage or Xenophobe more. I do unironically enjoy Amagon quite a bit now. I actually had the record speedrun for years, and I've also beaten it without even transforming into Megagon. Maybe one day, I'll try to beat it just using the gun as a club (which would be nuts). Anyway, it's now a tradition for me to beat it at the start of every year. It's also the only game that has beaten by the same person in every year of this competition.

And I just beat Amagon for 2024!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scaryice said:

It's also the only game that has beaten by the same person in every year of this competition.

The year you decide not to play it is the year it's on the list in December 😆 

Probably not actually.  I know I don't mind the game at all, just never put the time into beating it yet.  If ever you opted to not beat it, I might give it a go.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 112/677
4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sesame Street ABC and 123 are both done.  Those should not be 4 point games 😆 

I wanted to beat them in previous years, but I never knew what the completion criteria for these games were. I also wasn't sure if some of the mini games were going on forever or not. Imagine me clearing those for roughly 30 minutes or so and wondering when it will finally end.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I wanted to beat them in previous years, but I never knew what the completion criteria for these games were. I also wasn't sure if some of the mini games were going on forever or not. Imagine me clearing those for roughly 30 minutes or so and wondering when it will finally end.

Things like that are why I'm glad for AdamL's endings guide.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/26831

A lot of times he goes way overboard on games that loop endlessly, but it's a fantastic resource nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
8 hours ago, scaryice said:

Amagon is just a game that I had as a kid, and I never could get anywhere with it back then. As an adult, I went back and beat it and started to appreciate it more. It's not the greatest game, but it's not just nostalgia neither, because I didn't suddenly like Rampage or Xenophobe more. I do unironically enjoy Amagon quite a bit now. I actually had the record speedrun for years, and I've also beaten it without even transforming into Megagon. Maybe one day, I'll try to beat it just using the gun as a club (which would be nuts). Anyway, it's now a tradition for me to beat it at the start of every year. It's also the only game that has beaten by the same person in every year of this competition.

And I just beat Amagon for 2024!

I more meant Phantom Fighter, but I can see now reading it back why that'd not be very clear lol. 

Also finished Return of the Joker.  Great music, incredible graphics, but the actual design is so weird.  I guess because the sprites are so large, they couldn't make a lot of enemies, so to make them harder, they have them fire immediately when you see them?  But the game is rendered easy because of passwords and infinite continues.  Esp if you know how to cheese some of the bosses.  Esp the Joker at the end haha

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

91 points on New Year's Day? That has to be a new one-day record. In fact, I think I wouldn't be surprised if @Gloves (with 65 points) wasn't close to or beyond that previous record as well.

Wow. I didn't know that. I was even aiming for 100 or more, but I couldn't concentrate anymore in the evening. After a whole day of gaming my brain was mush and my reflexes non-existant.