IGNORED

Did some versions of Final Fantasy not come with a sleeve?

austin532

It's quite possible, but nobody has contributed it to the sealed contents thread to know for sure.  The only licenced game that I've encountered for sure without a dust sleeve is Arkanoid.  For the longest time I thought it might have been a reseal until the other variant was confirmed as well.  Though assuming FF did not have one, your speculation as to why is definitely plausible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's quite possible, but nobody has contributed it to the sealed contents thread to know for sure.  The only licenced game that I've encountered for sure without a dust sleeve is Arkanoid.  For the longest time I thought it might have been a reseal until the other variant was confirmed as well.  Though assuming FF did not have one, your speculation as to why is definitely plausible.

Dumb question that I should know the answer to, but was the Arkanoid controller a pack in with the game somehow?  Like replacing the styro with it or something?

What's also odd is it looks like it never came with a Nintendo Power insert or poster as well. I'm guessing this was for space reasons since the manual is 84 pages? So not only do we not know for sure if it came with a sleeve, we don't know if later prints did come with a sleeve. The lack of a star on the manual in that pic leads me to believe it's a first print.

For what it's worth,

My mint CIB comes with the following:

Standard Items

• Box: NES-FF-USA, Oval®, 4-Line Warranty w/ Mexico, 00523 Date
  • Manual: NES-FF-USA★, Oval® No Date
  • Cart: NES-FF-USA, Oval®, Gold Back Label w/ 07 stamp

Inserts

• NES-FF-USA(A) Poster
  • NES-FF-USA(B) Poster
  • PMG-USA Nintendo Power Ad

Packaging

• Nintendo Non-Foil Dust Sleeve
  • Blue Foam Spacer
  • Standard Large Hole Bag
  • Standard H-Seam Cellophane
Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Estil said:

What's the biggest manual that an NES or SNES game ever got?  In terms of pages I mean?

Probably this. It's almost ¼" thick. Basically a small strategy guide. 84 pages as austin mentioned, and oversized to boot. 

Edited by Link

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

What's the biggest manual that an NES or SNES game ever got?  In terms of pages I mean?

1 minute ago, Link said:

Probably this. It's almost ¼" thick. 84 pages as austin mentioned, and oversized to boot. 

I don’t think this is your intent, but my actual guess would be Earthbound since it was an entire Nintendo Power strategy guide.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

I don’t think this is your intent, but my actual guess would be Earthbound since it was an entire Nintendo Power strategy guide.

I was just thinking NES. I don't know anything about Earthbound, did that come with every copy of the game?

1 hour ago, Estil said:

What happened this morning was an outrage!  All these people want to know...where in the world are your Carmen Sandiego computer games?

This one's a bit of a stretch, Estil. Might want to take another crack at it.

*insert Pee-wee "This is crack" video*

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

For what it's worth,

My mint CIB comes with the following:

Standard Items

• Box: NES-FF-USA, Oval®, 4-Line Warranty w/ Mexico, 00523 Date
  • Manual: NES-FF-USA★, Oval® No Date
  • Cart: NES-FF-USA, Oval®, Gold Back Label w/ 07 stamp

Inserts

• NES-FF-USA(A) Poster
  • NES-FF-USA(B) Poster
  • PMG-USA Nintendo Power Ad

Packaging

• Nintendo Non-Foil Dust Sleeve
  • Blue Foam Spacer
  • Standard Large Hole Bag
  • Standard H-Seam Cellophane

So that's a later print but we still don't know if the sleeve and Nintendo Power insert was added. PMG-USA is era correct though.

I would fall into the camp of an original owner, but the box is gone, and I don't remember it having a sleeve either because the two maps and 80 page manual/guide along with the various inserts stuffed the box tight.  NES Open Tournament Golf also had a tall thicker manual and inserts, don't recall that one having a sleeve did it?  I was under the impression games with a roughly box sized dimension manual had a little thinner block inside and no sleeve.

Here's a throwback from ratty NA, the images still work on that tools backup of the site, if this isn't stage the guy is physically cutting open the seal on the box and unloading the contents so you can see them all laid out.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewfa6d.html?StartRow=151&catid=5&threadid=773

The wizard replied to it someone did it a few years earlier on NES World and same result with no sleeve, and the other contents including the thinner blue foam block so the tall paper fits right.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Love 1

Yeah, now I remember.  It never got added to the list because the dude didn't post the item numbers, and got hostile about it when I asked for it.  Got mad that I didn't add it but wouldn't give me the info so I could.  Some people 😆 But the thing about other tall manuals is pure speculation, as I don't think any others got added to the list.  And a tall manual on its own might not have mattered for the sleeve...the maps would've packed it tighter than just a manual would.