IGNORED

User Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

Did something change in the algorithm?  I was level Thaumaturge but now I'm Heir?  I also noticed/think my Rep yesterday was in the 8,000s but don't quote me on that.

I'm not agitated as I know you're still working out the system but I do know I dropped more than a few levels and lost over half of my initial XP, but it looks like others lost XP too.  I'm just curious what happened because I'm curious about that stuff.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
35 minutes ago, RH said:

Did something change in the algorithm?  I was level Thaumaturge but now I'm Heir?  I also noticed/think my Rep yesterday was in the 8,000s but don't quote me on that.

I'm not agitated as I know you're still working out the system but I do know I dropped more than a few levels and lost over half of my initial XP, but it looks like others lost XP too.  I'm just curious what happened because I'm curious about that stuff.

image.png

Administrator · Posted

@RH to speak further on this, after the system has done the rebuild, ranks may move around a bit again. I'm going to take a look at where everyone is at when it's done and determine whether I need to space them out more to avoid having to add new ranks right away. I was previously Paladin, which is currently 40k total points, whereas now I'm sat at Majesty which is 70k, and it's not done working. So I've gone up and will continue to do so.

It's double checking stuff like whether you logged in each day, which polls you've voted in, blogs, etc.. More points available and it's going through the entire site history to re-calculate.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

@RH to speak further on this, after the system has done the rebuild, ranks may move around a bit again. I'm going to take a look at where everyone is at when it's done and determine whether I need to space them out more to avoid having to add new ranks right away. I was previously Paladin, which is currently 40k total points, whereas now I'm sat at Majesty which is 70k, and it's not done working. So I've gone up and will continue to do so.

It's double checking stuff like whether you logged in each day, which polls you've voted in, blogs, etc.. More points available and it's going through the entire site history to re-calculate.

Its busy counting all of CasualCarts likes

• Agree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Gloves said:

1) Tyyyyyypically those games come with a leaderboard on them. If such exists, I'd say beating the top score or even just getting onto the board could be considered "beating" it.

2) Any difficulty mode is fine by me, personally. It's not about challenging yourself per se, it's about playing games, period. Just gotta see them through to "the end". A bad ending in Silent Hill is fine, not seeing the "true boss" in a shmup is fine, etc..

3) If you need assistance to beat a game, e.g. a turbo controller, that's fine with me. Again, not a competition.

Sick - I might stand a chance for the shoot-em-up badge after all haha.

And as far as leaderboards - if you mean an in-game leaderboard, Atari games don't typically have those. Some games (like Activision titles) had badge incentives for certain scores, but 90% of the titles are pretty nebulous.

@G-type - any thoughts on this? How would you suggest we qualify "beating" a high-score game?

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

And as far as leaderboards - if you mean an in-game leaderboard, Atari games don't typically have those. Some games (like Activision titles) had badge incentives for certain scores, but 90% of the titles are pretty nebulous.

@G-type - any thoughts on this? How would you suggest we qualify "beating" a high-score game?

[T-Pac]

You could use RetroAchievements as a guideline: Atari 2600 Games · RetroAchievements

They're user generated achievements, but it's about as good a bar as any IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

Over on the Atari high score thread, there's always been the Patch challenges, which would be my preferred method of quantifying Atari gaming achievements. The challenge scores are based both on pre-existing score challenges created by the original publishers (Activision, Imagic, and CBS all had established high-score goals for patches/medals) and challenges I have set based on the scores in the upper-third of the AtariAge high score rankings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

As was determined from last round, no one wanted a Super A'Can bashe yet here we have one. Yet where's the Gamate badge? 

Are these appearing as defaults or is there a way to hide them? I don't particularly want to see a bunch of nonsense pollution whilst browsing here.

Weird way to say thank you for peoples hard work. Must be a language barrier thing  🤷‍♂️

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
58 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

As was determined from last round, no one wanted a Super A'Can bashe yet here we have one. Yet where's the Gamate badge? 

Are these appearing as defaults or is there a way to hide them? I don't particularly want to see a bunch of nonsense pollution whilst browsing here.

37 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah it is, but so is purposely trying to pull one over on someone as a middle finger. 

What on earth are you on about?

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I thought you specifically asked for a Super A'Can badge at one point, so I made sure to draw one in case you wanted to claim it. I was just trying to be accommodating...

I can't guarantee I'll cover all the systems, but I try keep things in mind when stuff gets suggested.

And the idea was to keep the charms small and limit how many are on display at one time so it isn't so cluttered and distracting. But we worked hard on these and I'd be bummed-out if people didn't at least give them a chance before dismissing the whole thing.

[T-Pac]

Administrator · Posted
21 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This is probably more work than it’s worth but I feel like having 50 games or 50% of a library should be recognized differently. 

Bronze tier should be having 50 games

Silver tier should be 50% of library 

Gold tier should be debatable full set in region

Adjust colors accordingly 

We need to keep things simple. The point of those "progress" charms is to simply be able to say "I like this console, and I collect games for it". The 50 or 50% is whichever number is smaller takes precedence, which impacts stuff like the Virtual Boy. 

I have a fairly sizeable, arguably pretty impressive, yet very catered collection. I don't do full sets, and likely never will. I don't hoard games, I purge the ones I don't end up liking. I can only qualify for 3 of those badges - PS2, PS3, and NES. PS1 is just shy, at like 47 or so. I believe that the existing metric is a fair one, given the intent of those Badges. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, re4mat said:

Does anyone else see this when hovering over an avatar for someone who has more than 3 badges? They don't seem to be contained by the popup and bleed out of it rather than wrapping to the next line. (Or whatever the intended behaviour should be.)

VGS-badges-display.jpg

No

screenshot-a3quit4s.jpg.b9eecec19d4085033a00c178b887af42.jpg

Maybe you should stop using dark mode

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, re4mat said:

Does anyone else see this when hovering over an avatar for someone who has more than 3 badges? They don't seem to be contained by the popup and bleed out of it rather than wrapping to the next line. (Or whatever the intended behaviour should be.)

VGS-badges-display.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look and get that fixed. Ezpz. 

• Like 1