IGNORED

The 2024 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Brickman is halfway through his list and it's still January

Nba Jam Basket GIF

I wanted to knock some easy stuff to get the ball rolling.

The RPGs, VN and PC games will slow me down. I’m also in Japan for a month in March so I will hardly be gaming. I think I can clear them all by the end of the year though.

• Wow! 1

Knocked out TaleSpin for the Genesis. I have vague memories of playing the Game Gear version as a kid but never beating it. Looking up videos it looks like the Game Gear version is actually a reasonably faithful port of this one.

It's not a great game. It's janky, the graphics are mediocre, the sound effects and music are poor. There is some variety in the game play, alternating between platform sections, boss battles, and shmup sections. The concept is actually decent for adapting the cartoon to a game, so it's too bad that the gameplay is not up to par.

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

• Like 5

My goal of getting a first-time completion of at least one NES game per day in January has now been achieved.  Additionally, I used a game from my Backlog Challenge list to do it...Godzilla 2 is now in the bag!  I actually started it on the 29th, after beating Roundball, but as I was running out of time on the 30th, I cashed in my one remaining (known) gimmie victory by knocking off Ski or Die (just need to finish each event with a score, just like Skate or Die before it).  I then kept working on beating more Godzilla 2 scenarios, just finishing around 20 minutes or so ago.  The last few scenarios were dicey for sure, though the final one was almost a relief.  The 11th scenario was the worst...a shit map, combined with very limited units, made for a rough ride...especially when I made an early screwup and had to adapt on the fly.  Still, I eked out the win, moving on to the final one, where you have to fight every enemy aside from Mothra.  It sure wasn't easy, but it was cake compared to the one I'd just knocked off. 

Overall, I'd say Godzilla 2 is a solid 8/10.  It's simple enough to pick up and play, but had far more depth to it than Desert Commander, along with more varied scenarios.  Though the RNG would have me getting pissed off occasionally, it was never bad enough where I'd get frustrated.  Overall, I'd recommend it as a starting point for anyone interested in strategy games, as it's just complex enough to be fun, but nowhere near as in depth as even the simplest of Koei games.

Speaking of strategy games, Godzilla 2 was the final strategy game I hadn't beaten, so I've now completed the entire genre! 

Anyway, barring me shooting for an extra game or two later on, here's my list for January 2024:

Spoiler

US 272. Wayne Gretzky Hockey (January 1, 2024)
US 273. Hollywood Squares (January 2, 2024)
US 274. California Games (January 3, 2024)
US 275. The Magic of Scheherazade (January 4, 2024)
US 276. Talking Super Jeopardy (January 5, 2024)
US 277. Magic Darts (January 5, 2024)
US 278. Magic Johnson's Fast Break (January 6, 2024)
US 279. The Three Stooges (Best Ending, January 7, 2024)
US 280. Moon Ranger (January 8, 2024)
US 281. Caveman Games (January 9, 2024)
US 282. The Karate Kid (January 10, 2024)
US 283. Blades of Steel (January 11, 2024)
US 284. Puzzle (January 12, 2024)
US 285. Winter Games (January 13, 2024)
US 286. Mappyland (January 14, 2024)
US 287. Joe & Mac (January 15, 2024)
US 288. Digger T. Rock (No-Death Run With Warps, January 16, 2024)
US 289. WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge (Both belts, January 17, 2024)
US 290. Wayne's World (January 18, 2024)
US 291. Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular (Bronze Medal, January 19, 2024)
US 292. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (January 20, 2024)
US 293. Astyanax (January 21, 2024)
US 294. Kid Klown in Night Mayor World (First Quest, January 22, 2024)
US 295. Skate or Die (January 23, 2024)
US 296. The Rocketeer (January 24, 2024)
US 297. Totally Rad (January 25, 2024)
US 298. Tennis (Singles, Difficulty 1, January 26,2024)
US 299. Volleyball (January 27, 2024)
US 300. Desert Commander (All scenarios beaten, January 28, 2024)
US 301. Roundball: 2 on 2 Challenge (January 29, 2024)
US 302. Ski or Die (January 30, 2024)
US 303. Godzilla 2 (All scenarios beaten, January 31, 2024)

*NOTE* The numbers are which entry number each game is on my list.  I didn't do any, but I have separate categories on my list for PAL, Famicom, unreleased games, and homebrew games, and have a running total at the bottom showing my overall completions (all categories combined).  I'm now at 343 games, so hitting 350 this year is highly likely.  But I may take an NES break soon enough...beating 32 games for the first time in a month (plus a bunch of other completions I did for the NES Completions thread that were NOT first time completions, thus not being eligible for this list) has me thinking it's time for a break 😛

Also, since all the NES games I've had on my list this year were also on my list from last year, that puts me at 5 completions from last year's list (added to the 3 I did last year, that makes 8/40, or 20% completion).  I'm debating continuing to track that or not, since although I made the list in 2022, I didn't actually work on a game until mid November, so it could still be interesting to see what I get done off that list down the line.  That said, I think it may take away from me focusing on games from this year's list.

Anyway, I suppose now I can focus on knocking off the rest of Oblivion, and maybe getting back to Wizardry V as well, as that's fallen by the wayside while I kept my streak going.  To think, I was gonna stop at two weeks 😛

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

My goal of getting a first-time completion of at least one NES game per day in January has now been achieved.  Additionally, I used a game from my Backlog Challenge list to do it...Godzilla 2 is now in the bag!  I actually started it on the 29th, after beating Roundball, but as I was running out of time on the 30th, I cashed in my one remaining (known) gimmie victory by knocking off Ski or Die (just need to finish each event with a score, just like Skate or Die before it).  I then kept working on beating more Godzilla 2 scenarios, just finishing around 20 minutes or so ago.  The last few scenarios were dicey for sure, though the final one was almost a relief.  The 11th scenario was the worst...a shit map, combined with very limited units, made for a rough ride...especially when I made an early screwup and had to adapt on the fly.  Still, I eked out the win, moving on to the final one, where you have to fight every enemy aside from Mothra.  It sure wasn't easy, but it was cake compared to the one I'd just knocked off. 

Overall, I'd say Godzilla 2 is a solid 8/10.  It's simple enough to pick up and play, but had far more depth to it than Desert Commander, along with more varied scenarios.  Though the RNG would have me getting pissed off occasionally, it was never bad enough where I'd get frustrated.  Overall, I'd recommend it as a starting point for anyone interested in strategy games, as it's just complex enough to be fun, but nowhere near as in depth as even the simplest of Koei games.

Speaking of strategy games, Godzilla 2 was the final strategy game I hadn't beaten, so I've now completed the entire genre! 

Anyway, barring me shooting for an extra game or two later on, here's my list for January 2024:

Hide contents

US 272. Wayne Gretzky Hockey (January 1, 2024)
US 273. Hollywood Squares (January 2, 2024)
US 274. California Games (January 3, 2024)
US 275. The Magic of Scheherazade (January 4, 2024)
US 276. Talking Super Jeopardy (January 5, 2024)
US 277. Magic Darts (January 5, 2024)
US 278. Magic Johnson's Fast Break (January 6, 2024)
US 279. The Three Stooges (Best Ending, January 7, 2024)
US 280. Moon Ranger (January 8, 2024)
US 281. Caveman Games (January 9, 2024)
US 282. The Karate Kid (January 10, 2024)
US 283. Blades of Steel (January 11, 2024)
US 284. Puzzle (January 12, 2024)
US 285. Winter Games (January 13, 2024)
US 286. Mappyland (January 14, 2024)
US 287. Joe & Mac (January 15, 2024)
US 288. Digger T. Rock (No-Death Run With Warps, January 16, 2024)
US 289. WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge (Both belts, January 17, 2024)
US 290. Wayne's World (January 18, 2024)
US 291. Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular (Bronze Medal, January 19, 2024)
US 292. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (January 20, 2024)
US 293. Astyanax (January 21, 2024)
US 294. Kid Klown in Night Mayor World (First Quest, January 22, 2024)
US 295. Skate or Die (January 23, 2024)
US 296. The Rocketeer (January 24, 2024)
US 297. Totally Rad (January 25, 2024)
US 298. Tennis (Singles, Difficulty 1, January 26,2024)
US 299. Volleyball (January 27, 2024)
US 300. Desert Commander (All scenarios beaten, January 28, 2024)
US 301. Roundball: 2 on 2 Challenge (January 29, 2024)
US 302. Ski or Die (January 30, 2024)
US 303. Godzilla 2 (All scenarios beaten, January 31, 2024)

*NOTE* The numbers are which entry number each game is on my list.  I didn't do any, but I have separate categories on my list for PAL, Famicom, unreleased games, and homebrew games, and have a running total at the bottom showing my overall completions (all categories combined).  I'm now at 343 games, so hitting 350 this year is highly likely.  But I may take an NES break soon enough...beating 32 games for the first time in a month (plus a bunch of other completions I did for the NES Completions thread that were NOT first time completions, thus not being eligible for this list) has me thinking it's time for a break 😛

Also, since all the NES games I've had on my list this year were also on my list from last year, that puts me at 5 completions from last year's list (added to the 3 I did last year, that makes 8/40, or 20% completion).  I'm debating continuing to track that or not, since although I made the list in 2022, I didn't actually work on a game until mid November, so it could still be interesting to see what I get done off that list down the line.  That said, I think it may take away from me focusing on games from this year's list.

Anyway, I suppose now I can focus on knocking off the rest of Oblivion, and maybe getting back to Wizardry V as well, as that's fallen by the wayside while I kept my streak going.  To think, I was gonna stop at two weeks 😛

Just want to say well done. That's an impressive feat! I hope I can pull something like that off one day. Time is probably my biggest barrier currently I suppose.

I decided to start Bit. Trip Saga, specifically Bit. Trip Runner, as a side game while I finish up Harvestella and procrastinate picking my next game. Runner is the 4th game in the series, but I have (not so) fond memories of getting hard stuck on 1-3 in the WiiWare demo ages ago due to the staircases. My sense of rhythm has improved much since then and I also have all of Runner2's main levels + all but the final boss for the main levels of Runner3 under my belt now. I blew through 1-1 through 1-10 with not too many attempts and got stuck on 1-11 for a bit since it was double the length of the earlier levels, but I managed. Then I got stuck for a while on 1-boss because it's much more memorization based than the regular levels. The music is not that great compared to the regular levels and it doesn't have the gradually building up element either, so I just had to suffer until I got it. Up to 2-8 now, vaguely stuck again, but hopefully I'll get it once I'm less tired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brickman said:

Just want to say well done. That's an impressive feat! I hope I can pull something like that off one day. Time is probably my biggest barrier currently I suppose.

Thanks man! I actually just added up my repeat completions from the NES Completions thread, and am at 17 repeats.  Normally I don't care about repeats at all, but I knew I did a bunch early on and was curious about it.  So in January I now have a whopping 49 NES games beaten! I may have to find something to round it to 50.  Maybe a Punisher run is in order...

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:35 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

These boss ships are assholesImage

I didn't beat all of them.  You really need to fight the ship, lose, then come back with a ship that is equipped and spec'd the right way to fight each one.

I actually forgot about them.  Maybe I will boot it up and try to knock them all out.

6 hours ago, greenthunder said:

I decided to start Bit. Trip Saga, specifically Bit. Trip Runner, as a side game while I finish up Harvestella and procrastinate picking my next game. Runner is the 4th game in the series, but I have (not so) fond memories of getting hard stuck on 1-3 in the WiiWare demo ages ago due to the staircases. My sense of rhythm has improved much since then and I also have all of Runner2's main levels + all but the final boss for the main levels of Runner3 under my belt now. I blew through 1-1 through 1-10 with not too many attempts and got stuck on 1-11 for a bit since it was double the length of the earlier levels, but I managed. Then I got stuck for a while on 1-boss because it's much more memorization based than the regular levels. The music is not that great compared to the regular levels and it doesn't have the gradually building up element either, so I just had to suffer until I got it. Up to 2-8 now, vaguely stuck again, but hopefully I'll get it once I'm less tired.

I have been slowly grinding my way through the Runner games for years, but I don't think I've completed any of them.  Playing the first game on PC I think I got into a good pattern playing world 2 where I would play on easy, learn the level, then switch to "normal" difficulty.  That got me through the end of world 2 and I've yet to go back to continue.

A surprisingly difficult game IMO

On 1/28/2024 at 4:02 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Second, I did Tennis, albeit on the lowest difficulty.  You have to win 2/3 sets against two opponents to win.  Not terribly difficult on the low difficulty, but I don't know if I like the game enough to go higher.  I also only played the singles mode, as I couldn't be arsed to play Doubles mode for no real enjoyment. 

I finally beat Tennis this year myself after owning the same copy since like 1988 or so (it was not on my backlog list though).  I can't say I can recommend playing and defeating the highest difficulty player, but I posted some tips here if you want to try:  https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/204-games-you-have-beaten-recently/?do=findComment&comment=392931

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I didn't beat all of them.  You really need to fight the ship, lose, then come back with a ship that is equipped and spec'd the right way to fight each one.

I actually forgot about them.  Maybe I will boot it up and try to knock them all out.

I got the ghost ship, which seems like the easiest of the bunch, and can get reasonably close on the others.  But you can get unlucky and be completely wrecked by a single ram or mortar barrage.

I'll try them again once I get a few more upgrades.

• Like 1

Working my way through the Rare Replay library.

Feel I have sufficiently played Lunar Jetman enough to mark it off the list and I do not like it at all.  

Loaded up Atic Atac and with trusty map in hand managed to grab all pieces of the key and escape the castle.

For a game made in 1983 this game was more forgiving than I expected.  You get a decent health bar, 3 lives, start in the room you die in, and a surprising amount of food to restore your health.  Inventory is limited to 3 items though, and you’ll need all those slots to escape.  If I didn’t have a guide I would have become hopelessly lost in this game.  I did like it though.  I found the sound effects for the footsteps amusing and liked the effect when you fall through a hole in the floor.  Also for a game made in ‘83 the rooms have a surprising amount of detail.

@the_wizard_666 The description of the game gives genres to the game.  For Jetpac it was “arcade, shooting” First time I saw that I translated it to an arcade machine in my mind for some reason.

IMG_7725.jpeg

• Like 6

And finished LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game with the kids.  Kids had a good time.  I enjoyed watching them play and jumping in.  It reminded me of when I used to have friends over and we’d have to share the controller.

The difficulty was about right and the hints helped out when the kids got stuck.  I enjoyed the little quips that were geared towards older people too.

Destroying the city as a giant kaiju after the rather lengthy credits was a nice little treat.

IMG_7727.jpeg

IMG_7726.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm considering Powerwash Simulator done.  Normally I go for the platinum trophy if it's within my skill level, but that will have to wait. I beat the main story and apparently that specific trophy is glitched.  If it gets patched, I'll revisit and do the challenges to finish it out.

Anyway, the game is a nice, mindless relaxing experience that was a perfect way to wind down before bed. Really nothing challenging about it and that's okay. The levels had a nice variety of settings. Probably too many vehicles, but otherwise, they kept it interesting. There was a story throughout that went to sort of unexpected places but was far too sparse to be considered a selling point. The goal is to zone out, put on a stream or YouTube video on the background and spray the night away.

I've been playing another sleepy-time game in Danganronpa (sleepy in that reading that much on the TV makes me fall asleep accidentally), so I'll probably spend my PS5 time going back to Assassin's Creed Valhalla and/or Yakuza 0 when I want to stay awake.

• Like 3

Well, I haven't really done a lot of gaming, but despite not really actively wanting to keep my NES streak going, it's sort of still happening.  I had a 10pm urge last night to try out Arch Rivals...it was one that I'd shortlisted for an easy win, but I never got to it in January.  It took a couple false starts to settle on a character I was comfortable with, but I managed to double up the score on the computer and scratched it off.  Not a bad port in all honesty.  Anyway, for the 2nd, I had been talking about easy completions last month with @Dr. Morbis, and discovered that a game that I had written off as being a head-to-head only game, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, actually had a single player mode and could be "beaten."  It's lame, tedious, and impossible to lose as far as I could tell, but I added it to my list nonetheless, if only so I could never have to fire it up again.  And for the third, I just completed The Little Mermaid.  Short, simple, and okay at best.  Probably among the weakest Capcom Disney NES games, IMO ahead of only Mickey Mousecapade, but yet still not a terrible experience.  I might try to go for a no-death run at some point, it's easy enough that it should be doable with minimal effort, I just couldn't be arsed right now 😛

Anyway, that's 35 games on the year over the first 34 days, which even with all the simple completions seems absolutely insane to me.  I've had literal YEARS that didn't even come close to that number...almost half-way to my record total of 75 (set in 2022) with 11 months to go on the year just feels nuts.  Also, I'm 4 more games away from an overall total of 350 (that includes Famicom, homebrews, European, unreleased, etc...basically anything released for the NES/FC), so that's my next goal...whether I actively keep my streak going to hit it though, that I'm not certain of.

As for the other games I've got on the go, there's nothing new to report.  When I say I was taking a bit of a break, I meant from everything 😛 They're still on the go, just haven't touched them for a bit.

• Like 8

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/26/2024 at 3:34 PM, twiztor said:

Super Princess Peach (Nintendo DS)

i'd heard surprisingly little about this Mario spinoff title, but it caught my attention for being the only game to star Ms. Toadstool (until the upcoming Switch game releases).

i enjoyed this game, but it's pretty shallow as far as platforming games go.  interesting if underutilized emotion mechanics. level design that wasn't as intuitive as i expected (you have to "rescue" all 3 Toads in each stage, but it's generally unclear if a warp pipe/door is the actual path forward or a side path to find said Toad. i had to do a decent amount of backtracking). difficulty is nonexistent (akin to the mainline Kirby games).

post-game opens up new stages. haven't given them a play, but i'm vaguely interested. i mainly played this during my downtime at work, knocking out 1 world per day. a decent time killer, but significantly less addicting than the Mario vs DK series.

20240126_142537.jpg

Oh - neat! My sister and I had this game as kids. I really liked it, but the mechanics felt a little clunky compared to the other Mario games I was familiar with.

[T-Pac]

On 1/28/2024 at 9:52 AM, JamesRobot said:

Just finished Mega Man Dr. Wily's Revenge.  I was fairly surprised at the challenge and completeness of this game.  Mega Man doesn't really suffer from the limited real estate of the Game Boy screen and feels right at home with its contemporary NES counterparts.  I'll be diving more into the handheld Mega Man games in the future.  Also really dig the Pinball Neon Matrix filter that the Analogue Pocket offers.

bp3U99p.jpg

Did you play the whole game with that red tint???
My eyes hurt just thinking about that haha, but I guess you must acclimate to it after a while.

[T-Pac]

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, I haven't really done a lot of gaming, but despite not really actively wanting to keep my NES streak going, it's sort of still happening. 

Anyway, that's 35 games on the year over the first 34 days, which even with all the simple completions seems absolutely insane to me.  I've had literal YEARS that didn't even come close to that number...almost half-way to my record total of 75 (set in 2022) with 11 months to go on the year just feels nuts.  Also, I'm 4 more games away from an overall total of 350 (that includes Famicom, homebrews, European, unreleased, etc...basically anything released for the NES/FC), so that's my next goal...whether I actively keep my streak going to hit it though, that I'm not certain of.

Whoa - that's impressive, dude!

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

Did you play the whole game with that red tint???
My eyes hurt just thinking about that haha, but I guess you must acclimate to it after a while.

[T-Pac]

Ha, I did.  Red light is supposed to be easier on the eyes.  I prefer it to the standard green or b/w display.  I also have the blue light filter turned way up on my phone, and I keep a red alarm clock in my room.  You don't get the same intense bright glow with red that you do with blue or green.

Editorials Team · Posted

Assassin's Creed Black Flag.  Often considered to be the best game in the franchise, and I think I'll have to agree.  Probably this or part II.  Having two complete systems to work with (the core AC gameplay, which had been refined through six games, and this second iteration of the naval combat systems) keeps things fresh.  Or at least as fresh as it could be after playing so many of these games: I really don't need to tail people across rooftops again, or combo a million guards in swordplay.  So this will probably be my farewell to the series, unless I ever get to Origins or Odyssey or one of the newer ones, years from now.

1. Bloodborne (9.5/10)
  2. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (8/10)
  3. The Stanley Parable (7.5/10)
  4. The Talos Principle (7.5/10)
  5. Pikmin 1 (6.5/10)
  • Like 7

On 2/2/2024 at 7:13 PM, Floating Platforms said:

I'm considering Powerwash Simulator done.  Normally I go for the platinum trophy if it's within my skill level, but that will have to wait. I beat the main story and apparently that specific trophy is glitched.  If it gets patched, I'll revisit and do the challenges to finish it out.

Anyway, the game is a nice, mindless relaxing experience that was a perfect way to wind down before bed. Really nothing challenging about it and that's okay. The levels had a nice variety of settings. Probably too many vehicles, but otherwise, they kept it interesting. There was a story throughout that went to sort of unexpected places but was far too sparse to be considered a selling point. The goal is to zone out, put on a stream or YouTube video on the background and spray the night away.

I've been playing another sleepy-time game in Danganronpa (sleepy in that reading that much on the TV makes me fall asleep accidentally), so I'll probably spend my PS5 time going back to Assassin's Creed Valhalla and/or Yakuza 0 when I want to stay awake.

Apparently a fix is incoming. From the developer's Twitter:

GFQ_1MeXAAEcISz.jpg.c8257151e4de5ee154c7d92577c82ba2.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Apparently a fix is incoming

Oh nice! I think I saw that they were aware of it, but didn't look too far.  It's good that they're still working on things, because I will say that the game doesn't always run too well overall - which is odd for a game with a single mechanic and usually no moving objects aside from yourself.

Editorials Team · Posted

The Quarry

The Quarry on Steam

Kaitlyn, Emma, Laura, Constance, Ryan, and Travis all died.  And most of that came down to one critical decision.  I'm gonna play through this and Until Dawn again in a few years, and try to rectify those mistakes.

I love horror movies, and specifically 1980s summer camp flicks, so this is right up my alley.  When it was originally being hyped I was all in, especially when I saw the ads running in Gamestop which sold me on the game hard... that is, until the mediocre reviews kind of sunk the buzz.  Critics seemed a lot less high on it than they were on Until  Dawn.  Plus, a friend of mine and fellow horror aficionado absolutely trashed it, so I deprioritized it.

(I say this, but just checked and both games have a 79 on Metacritic... shrug)

But then @Gloves played it last year and loved it, and that reignited the spark.  So I went for it.  And he was right.  These games are fun, and absolute must-plays for fans of these types of movies.  People like me.  Its horror movie fan service. 

Story and writing?  I thought they were great.  I won't spoil anything, but it sticks to the genre's roots pretty strongly so don't expect some Cabin in the Woods or other post-modern twists and shit.  And the cast of characters and dialogue are very strong.

Gameplay?  It's basically a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure barely disguised as a video game.  Take it or leave it.

Graphics?  Great, most of the time.  Except a few of the characters, who at times have severe uncanny valley syndrome.  Like, real bad.  But it's just some of the characters, so I don't know what the deal is.  Did each character have it's own team of animators, and some were better than others?  Who knows.

1. Bloodborne (9.5/10)
  2. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (8/10)
  3. The Stanley Parable (7.5/10)
  4. The Talos Principle (7.5/10)
  5. The Quarry (7/10)
  6. Pikmin 1 (6.5/10)
  • Like 5