IGNORED

How long have you been using the same computer monitor?

mbd39

Wow, this question made me curious about how long I've had my current setup.  I hadn't realized it but come mid-December my 2x 4k monitors will be 6 years old each.

Sounds to me like it might be time for an upgrade.  I've gone back to being self-employed, so if I'm going to upgrade, this would be the year.  Specifically, I have a pair of these.  They've been great work monitors.

https://www.viewsonic.com/lk/products/lcd/VP2780-4K

Edited by RH

Administrator · Posted

I bought my 49" ultrawide around 5 years ago and while it's had a few minor tearing issues warming up sometimes (goes away fast, doesn't always happen), I dunno if I'd ever replace it barring it literally dying. For one it was $1500 on sale so it was quite expensive, and secondly it's really the only way I think I can do monitors now. I said the same of dual monitors in the past, but this is two monitors in one. Likely if I ever do lose this monitor I'll replace it with whatever the most current version is available.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I bought my 49" ultrawide around 5 years ago and while it's had a few minor tearing issues warming up sometimes (goes away fast, doesn't always happen), I dunno if I'd ever replace it barring it literally dying. For one it was $1500 on sale so it was quite expensive, and secondly it's really the only way I think I can do monitors now. I said the same of dual monitors in the past, but this is two monitors in one. Likely if I ever do lose this monitor I'll replace it with whatever the most current version is available.

I've considered doing this on my next upgrade.  You got a link to your specific model?

I've heard of a lot of dual-monitor lovers say this.  Of course, in the past 6 years, I've heard co-workers brag about having triple an even quad-monitor setups.  That sounds a bit overboard to me.  I mean, I have these monitors connected to a laptop and I never have the need to open the display on the stand for a third workspace.  An ultra-wide 49" might be good for me too.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

I've considered doing this on my next upgrade.  You got a link to your specific model?

I've heard of a lot of dual-monitor lovers say this.  Of course, in the past 6 years, I've heard co-workers brag about having triple an even quad-monitor setups.  That sounds a bit overboard to me.  I mean, I have these monitors connected to a laptop and I never have the need to open the display on the stand for a third workspace.  An ultra-wide 49" might be good for me too.

The best part is of course the lack of borders around the proverbial two monitors. With two monitors most people will have one in front of them and the other to the right or left based on preference. My monitor I have the main content I'm using in the center of the monitor, and then other stuff on the left AND right. This would feel weird with the bezels of two monitors.

As for the model, tbh I'm not sure, though it's a Samsung. Basically, if not literally, this: 49 Inch Super Ultra-Wide 32:9 QLED Gaming Monitor | Samsung Canada

• Thanks 1

2022 - had to return a monitor to Costco that was like 2-3 years old (dead pixel and they accepted it. Seriously buy from Costco I didn’t even have an extended warranty or anything. I got a LG 35" Class Ultrawide Curved WQHD HDR10 Monitor in its place. I used to do dual monitors but I prefer just having the one with my laptop hooked to my dock and the screen closed on the laptop. 35” is plenty of space for all the stuff I’ve got going on 

27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The best part is of course the lack of borders around the proverbial two monitors. With two monitors most people will have one in front of them and the other to the right or left based on preference. My monitor I have the main content I'm using in the center of the monitor, and then other stuff on the left AND right. This would feel weird with the bezels of two monitors.

As for the model, tbh I'm not sure, though it's a Samsung. Basically, if not literally, this: 49 Inch Super Ultra-Wide 32:9 QLED Gaming Monitor | Samsung Canada

Do you wear glasses or notice eyestrain with a single ultra wide?  Personally when I used two side by side I would get eyestrain sooner, so I switched to 2 monitors at different depths to force my eyes to refocus when shifting my attention from one screen to another.

Currently I'm using a 24" diagonal from like 2016 and a Playstation 3D display.  Neither is amazing but function well for my job and hobbies.  Have debated getting something new but lol, my tower is from 2015 so maybe I should upgrade that first.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, xelement5x said:

Do you wear glasses or notice eyestrain with a single ultra wide?  Personally when I used two side by side I would get eyestrain sooner, so I switched to 2 monitors at different depths to force my eyes to refocus when shifting my attention from one screen to another.

Currently I'm using a 24" diagonal from like 2016 and a Playstation 3D display.  Neither is amazing but function well for my job and hobbies.  Have debated getting something new but lol, my tower is from 2015 so maybe I should upgrade that first.

No eye strain whatsoever. It's noteworthy that it's curved - maybe that has an impact.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

Of course, in the past 6 years, I've heard co-workers brag about having triple an even quad-monitor setups

Email + internal chat + whatever you're working on

I have a hundred people bringing urgent things to me every day, so I need constant eyes on the first two.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I run three monitors and the oldest is a "shitty" Benq from 2013 that's been running just fine for a decade now.  I kinda want it to die so I can upgrade, but I can't bring myself to toss a perfectly fine working monitor...

* donate.  Keeps you from feeling guilty about tossing working hardware in the trash and I'm sure someone will pick it up.  

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I've been heavily using this same Acer H236HL LCD monitor since probably 2015 and it still works great. I can't believe the longevity of this thing and wonder how many more years until the backlight finally goes.

I have that same monitor; 2 of them! I don't even know how long I've had these, but it's been a long time; probably close to 10 years. They work great. No idea what I'd get if I were to upgrade, but I'm in no rush.

19 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I can't believe the longevity of this thing and wonder how many more years until the backlight finally goes.

It’s sad that this is the expectation these days. 

I don’t think I’ve ever paid for a monitor. I had my last CRT for about 10 years, and my current Acer 27” has been about 9 years; no current plans to replace it. 

Social Team · Posted

I rotate out a monitor every 3-4 years and I run a 2 monitor setup.  I just replaced one a year ago.  Usually it's for the reason of getting a benefit/feature.  I remember upgrading to have an HDMI port so I could use it for gaming too.  Then from 60hz to 144hz (Christmas gift I didn't ask for but appreciated).   Last one was for going to 4K, 120Hz, and OLED.  I REALLY wanted a 120Hz OLED screen to play PS5 and I had just built a powerhouse gaming rig that could game in 4K so allowed my self the excuse to buy a small OLED TV to be used as my main monitor.  Actually now that I think about it I 98% of the time only use the one monitor.  I can do two monitors but I only do that if I stream.

Same one for about 9 years now.  My last computer was a higher end gaming laptop (NP8278 / MODEL NUMBER: P170SM-A) and well you're kind of married to the screen.

I've been chewing on that new PC for a couple years now, been back and forward with one brand over another and a return to desktop or not, and ultimately I know that my needs would be well enough met sticking now to a laptop format still for a number of reasons.  I just like to go well into it, high enough, it'll last me a long time like this one has (and longer than intended) so yeah that.

Once black friday prices roll out here soon I'm going to be a return customer on my seller of this current machine and get another from the same family (Sager/Clevo) as they're solid.)  I've whittled the list down to 3 models, not close minded on it though, seeing where the deals slice but I'm keeping a set budget.

31 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I remember upgrading to have an HDMI port so I could use it for gaming too. 

I was gonna say something about how monitors and TVs are basically the same now that we have HDMI on graphics cards. What’s the biggest size you would feel comfortable sitting at a desk with? 32”? 36”? 

Are you gonna go for 8K eventually or is it diminishing returns at that point?

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

I was gonna say something about how monitors and TVs are basically the same now that we have HDMI on graphics cards. What’s the biggest size you would feel comfortable sitting at a desk with? 32”? 36”? 

Are you gonna go for 8K eventually or is it diminishing returns at that point?

I wouldn't seek out 8K, it will likely just be part of the TV standard features eventually.  

I would say what size is best at a desk also depends on if the screen is flat or curve.  I have a flat one and there times where I notice it makes things look weird/difficult to use.  Also becomes an issue when I'm sitting at a skew to the TV.  But I do have a 42" TV and would get it again.  My partner has a 55" Odyssey Ark and she loves it.  Because it's curved it's much easier to use.  Fucker is heavy as shit and a pain to setup.  I legit couldn't put it together by myself but I've setup a 60" without help before.

• Like 1