IGNORED

The perfect box art doesn't exis-

Rhuno

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Referring to women as ladies (however scantily clad they may be) is totally appropriate.  And while you or I may not be personally offended, it is widely regarded by at least half the population or more that referring to women as "bitchez" is misogynistic and by definition, sexist.  Hence the totally reasonable request from Space.

James - you are likely aware of this but others here may not be.  In the thirties through fifties there was a genre of cover art (for pulps and paperbacks) referred to as "Bug Eyed Monsters" (B.E.M. for short) -  usually they featured a monster, a musclebound hero and a female while not necessarily scantily clad was usually alluringly clad. (In fact the male was generally wearing less than the imperiled damsel.)

The cover art wasn't intended to be demeaning (although latter day interpretations may erroneously (IMHO) assign that).  What is important is how the women would have been described - no fantasy/science fiction/adventure fan would have used a term like "bitch" to identify those women.

Here is what is perhaps the quintessential piece of such art:

download(3).jpeg.ef8b9709892d17e65682918241518382.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, BlackVega said:

But nobody here was racist, offensive or even sexist here at this point. Ladies on cover arts are nothing new and there are countless examples of it, even during NES era and nobody is offended and this is something you shouldn't even forbid doing. That is even oversensitive. The term doesn't matter. Nobody was degrading ladies. Females on cover arts don't need to be "low quality". They might as well be...... very high quality women😒

9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Personally I feel much more uncomfortable about the term lady, and here's an article explaining some of the issues with the word:

https://helloclue.com/articles/culture/lets-talk-about-word-lady

With the word "bitch", in the circles I run in, it's quite common, take the usage in Avril Lavigne's song "Smile" for example.

That being said, I see bitch as being edgy, a modern woman with personality, whereas the term lady just conjures images of feminine stereotypes and helplessness of yesteryear, rather than strength and independence. 

I will not respond to this further, I just wanted to point out the issue with the outmoded term lady, in hopes we can all as a team work together to make VGS a welcoming place for all.

The lack of self-awareness in these posts is honestly staggering.

If you've said something misogynistic, the correct response is to apologize, learn from your error, and make an effort not to repeat the mistake. But doubling-down to defend your offensive comment proves that you care, not about respecting women, but about being right.

It takes a strong individual to admit when they're wrong. It's something I'm actively working to improve on myself, and I suggest you do the same moving forward.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

I did some investigating, there have been 55 instances of the word "bitches" being used on VGS thus far, actually this will be the 56th instance since the word is in this post.

A lot of the instances have been used to refer to the VGS gang collectively in a more familial way, many instances were used in the Werewolf game, a few instances were used to seemingly reference women, and a few were in the context of sons of bitches, and a few usages were to reference the homebrew game Slappin Bitches, no idea where the name for that comes from as the game itself (I just looked it up) certainly doesn't seem to match what the game's name would have one imagine.

I backed up copies of the instances, should someone feel inclined to go back and edit their post.

I guess my point is as follows, although the intention wasn't there, I now personally feel as though I am being viewed as the VGS misogynist, something that is (A) not true, and furthermore (B) a bit unfair given that things such as "banging fine-ass bitches", "screw those jumping guys and those chalk writing bitches", "PS2 and 360 were like my side bitches", and "Metroid fans are some whiny bitches" all seem to get a pass, with three of the instances conjuring up references to women.  

I've been working hard to try to foster good relations here on VGS in the recent times, and then this train wreck comes up. I feel the need to vindicate myself here. Now back to the artwork.

vgs bitches.png

12 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Okay...

Back on topic, Kaboom for 5200 is pretty spectacular. Almost bought a CIB for the laughs a little while back.

images(9).jpeg.b28cfe738a89268821703e15fd169b5e.jpeg

I found a lot of CIB 5200 games randomly at my local Salvation Army about 4 years ago.  I never sold them but I never care to collect them either.

This Kaboom! was in the lot.  I loved the art too.  If you are interested in this game (or all of them), feel free to DM me.  We can work out a reasonable deal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 2:47 PM, RH said:

I found a lot of CIB 5200 games randomly at my local Salvation Army about 4 years ago.  I never sold them but I never care to collect them either.

This Kaboom! was in the lot.  I loved the art too.  If you are interested in this game (or all of them), feel free to DM me.  We can work out a reasonable deal.

It was still there and wound up being only a couple bucks on a black friday sale. It's been on the shelf for close to 2 years since I started visiting the store but I finally gave it a new home. Cracks me up every time I look at it!1701359518932781627464370380496.jpg.1a088ec6c6ef5ca01b763866303d4bab.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

It was still there and wound up being only a couple bucks on a black friday sale. It's been on the shelf for close to 2 years since I started visiting the store but I finally gave it a new home. Cracks me up every time I look at it!1701359518932781627464370380496.jpg.1a088ec6c6ef5ca01b763866303d4bab.jpg

Kaboom with Bluto. What's wrong with that?

On 11/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, RH said:

Many years ago, I picked up a huge lot of CIB Atari 5200 games, and the boxes were in absolute perfect condition.  It came from a lot of games turned into a pawn shop after someone died.  To this day, I don't really have much of a desire to keep them, but I also can't bring myself to get rid of them.