IGNORED

Potential 2023/2024 off-season contest feedback thread

Red

It's the time of the year when I start thinking about running another one of these contests.  I've been running 10 week off-season contests for the past six years and I'm looking to do a seventh.  Most years revolved around a single console (Sega Master System, Game Boy, Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64), but last year I did a multi console contest where each week a game from a different console and different genre would be played.  I was considering doing that again this year.  Another idea would be having a genre specific contest.  Maybe shooing, racing, or pinball?  If I were do do a console specific one again, I think I'd lean towards doing TurboGrafx-16.  Also considering a PC only contest where all the games would be free downloads.  Thoughts?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Sorry I never responded to this, I'll participate no matter what it looks like. I'll emulate if it's TG-16, though the free-download PC contest sounds intriguing if ever happens.

We could just repeat the N64 contest lineup if someone wants to challenge my score on Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bo.

I think I participated in the N64 contest and I guess I skipped/missed last year?

There's a part of me that wants to say no to genre contests, but then when I think about the genres, I'm torn.  For 2D platformers and shmups, I'm gonna be inclined to say nah, because @Gloves and @docile tapeworm and a couple others will flat out dominate.

But for a genres like Pinball or even getting creative with requirements for a genre like RPGs sounds fun.  And racing?  I could completely be down with a racing competition.

So, I guess what I'd suggest is if you consider doing a genre competition, maybe select 5-8 genres you'd consider putting up and giving a community poll of what we'd prefer.  It might still end up being shmups, but at least we'd be agreeing to it.

• Like 1

Oh, and if you do go with any given console, the fact is that there will always be those of us who have to emulate.  But, if you're going to choose one, either choose one most of us likely have OR choose one so obscure, 95% percent of us don't have it.  Like a Neo Geo Pocket, or an Atari Jaguar competition.

39 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH appreciate the kind words sir. Two little monkeys I got keep me so busy I can’t even pick up a controller without them starting to hoot holler and jump all over me 😂

Dude, I get it.  My two kids are 10 and 12 and I have all of my games in my office.  I put up my "DO NOT DISTURB" sign when I need a 10 minute game break,  which is meant for when I'm in meetings, but since I'm usually gaming on CRTs, my kids come knocking and asking me what I'm playing.  I have to play my NES at night after bed time!

• Haha 1

I wound up starting work on a TurboGrafx-16 contest, which will most likely start this weekend.  Part of me wants to throw it all out though and try doing the genre specific contest instead.  I guess we'll find out in a few days.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:22 PM, Splain said:

Sorry I never responded to this, I'll participate no matter what it looks like. I'll emulate if it's TG-16, though the free-download PC contest sounds intriguing if ever happens.

We could just repeat the N64 contest lineup if someone wants to challenge my score on Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bo.

When I was looking for a PC game to use last year, I found several good, free options.  I'm not ready to put something like that together now, but I'd like to it in the future.

If I ever do a Nintendo 64 contest again, I would like to bring Ucchannanchan no Hono no Challenger: Denryu Iraira Bo back.  If I ever do a PS1 contest, it would be very unlikely that Irritating Stick would not be included.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, RH said:

Oh, and if you do go with any given console, the fact is that there will always be those of us who have to emulate.  But, if you're going to choose one, either choose one most of us likely have OR choose one so obscure, 95% percent of us don't have it.  Like a Neo Geo Pocket, or an Atari Jaguar competition.

I thought about doing Jaguar, but wasn't ready to delve into its library.  Neo Geo Pocket could be fun.  I'll have to look into that one. 

...It's starting to feel like I'm trying to plan these years in advance now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...